Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Is electric really the answer? - Page 47 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Is electric really the answer?

These will be car parks built in 50s and 60s when cars weighed 1000kg or less. Add old age to the structure and it's a recipe for failure.

The sooner governments globally wake up to taxing cars on weight and width, the better. The system presently (currently?) is insane.

Justin

8 hours ago, jonwat said:

Heavy batteries in electric vehicles could put multistorey car parks at risk of collapse, according to experts.

Chris Whapples, a structural engineer and parking consultant, said that there was “definitely potential” for older car parks “in poor condition to collapse”.

A similar clickbait article appeared in this thread in December 2022. 

Both articles still conveniently forgot that these same car parks are already full of 2 & 3 tonne SUVs. 🤦‍♂️

Fine but every other car is now over 1500kg in essence and getting heavier due to batteries. 

It's ruining our already poor roads and can only lead to more problems, not least of all pedestrian and cyclist safety (not usually a priority of mine). 

Justin 

1 hour ago, Rambo said:

Ever thought about moving to Baghdad? 😉

Don't see the point of moving from one third world country that had until recently what felt like a dictatorship to another one. 

However, at least my EV cable would be safe from theft and the better roads would be less likley to break my EV suspension.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Couldn't agree more @Kimbers, your bullet points are spot on.

Manufacturers have focused on straight line acceleration and "premium". So the prices have been high and they've been in many cases (not all of course) status purchases by the middle class do gooding fookwit. Manufacturers have openly admitted they focused on the "premium" models as they could maximise profit. Instead, they should have focused on practicality and range at an affordable price. That would have driven adoption much faster, but of course, their bonuses would have been slower to come and smaller.

It's all been the equivelent of an environmental ponzi scheme. Just likke carbon offsetting. Greenwashing at its best.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

I wonder if Greta drives? If not, what does she get driven around in?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/lotus-unveils-500kw-electric-car-charger

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

6 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

That will probably black out your whole neighbourhood when you switch it on!

If you village cane handle 20 kettles being turned on at once, electric cars aren't the issue. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

The average kettle uses 2-3kw.

The small print.

When I have stated the whole infrastructure doesn't work with Electric cars I can now include additional average weight per car! Plus Charging points weights!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Just watched the above video from Bibs on Toyoto's new engine...very interesting, at one point though, the narrator mentioned that for one tank for fuel it will output 50 litres of water (vapour).  Can't help but think if we scale this up that means a lot more water in the air and presumably, a lot more rain as a result??

1 hour ago, Techyd said:

Just watched the above video from Bibs on Toyoto's new engine...very interesting, at one point though, the narrator mentioned that for one tank for fuel it will output 50 litres of water (vapour).  Can't help but think if we scale this up that means a lot more water in the air and presumably, a lot more rain as a result??

Not really cause water is used in the manufacturing process to make the fuel in the first place.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/stellantis-testing-28-engine-families-synthetic-fuel-compatibility?fbclid=IwAR1HPLbsS4IWIAEW72KTk_z5C7TkLq9zbGhZ18At-bjow5cSvX2N2v6sNU8

Stellantis has announced that it's finalising testing of 28 engine families for compatibility with e-fuels, which it claims can provide a 90% reduction in CO2 emissions.

It's the latest manufacturer to announce a significant investment into synthetic fuels following the EU’s announcement that it would allow ICE vehicles to remain on sale after 2035 as long as they use only sustainable carbon-neutral fuels.

Today's Times:

The cost of insuring electric cars has jumped by 20 per cent over the past year as Teslas and other models are scrapped when their battery packs have the slightest damage.

Average annual premiums have jumped to £662, a much faster rise than the cost of insuring petrol vehicles.

The cost of insuring Teslas, which are Britain’s most popular electric vehicles, has risen even faster than average, at least in part because there is no way of repairing their batteries once damaged.

A recent investigation by Reuters found scratched and mildly damaged battery packs “piling up in scrapyards” with experts saying batteries in some Teslas have “zero reparability”.

The findings are the latest in a litany of issues clouding the prospect of an all-electric future on the roads.

Cheers,

John W

• Gold FFM

So Elon Musk has a company that can and does manufacture a reusable rocket launch system. So a fairly good chance of some money coming in there. Build something that fills a need.

And Elon Musk also has company that can not repair or reuse the battery pack (assembly) in a vehicle that costs almost half the value of the vehicle? So a fairly good chance of some money coming in there. Build something that people are going to need.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)