Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Electric chargecooler pump installations - Page 6 - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Electric chargecooler pump installations

Aye. I've put the order in to a friend who has an engineering firm (currently on lockdown due to CV19 so twiddling his thumbs) for a blanking plug. I refuse to pay £40 plus postage for one when a bottle of red will suffice ;) . Ordered a Bosch 0392022002 pump which is the one used on the supercharged cobra so should be more than adequate. Need a few feet of hose to make good the circuit and Roberts your Dads brother!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
3 hours ago, Clarky5150 said:

OK, mech pump removed and was absolutely fubar!

IMG_0732.JPG

Hard to imagine that thing was actually turning.

I reckon your whole charge cooler system could do with a flush/clean out. The charge cooler and especially the rads may well be in the same state.

Andy.

Both correct. The insert was turning free and the whole system was gently flushed today. The vanes inside the charge cooler itself were very clean so I can only assume the crud in the pump was a result of stagnation and heat transference at that point. All required items now ordered and en route. Hopefully the whole system will be installed, primed and functioning in no time.

I'm certain of that Barry. When I drove her through the 2018/19 Winter I was always surprised how well she performed on cold crisp days. 

• Like 1

On 25/03/2020 at 13:05, Clarky5150 said:

Ordered a Bosch 0392022002 pump which is the one used on the supercharged cobra so should be more than adequate.

Bosch 002 pump is pretty weak (low pressure pump). If you necessarily want to stick w/Bosch brand, then use 010 pump. Price is not prohibitivePumpCharacteristics130421-page-2.jpg.861a336a9997cc74343e3260fa6f19a3.jpg

Here is the performance diagram

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

Agreed Ian. I'm more than happy that the same pump is used as OEM for several charge cooled motors that are of bigger capacity and much higher HP.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Gold FFM

I need a new electric chargecooler pump, does anybody sell a kit including the pump and blanking plug? I thought PNM did but can't find it on their website. I need some piping for it too.

A new chargecooler twin header tank would be a good idea too.

Signature not working...

• Gold FFM

Pete definitely does them.  Call him.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Alan,

Yes they do. I bought mine there, incl. plug and everything. It is very far from all ther Lotus parts that show up on their webpage, which is slowly expanding.

So, if need be, just give them a call and have a kit.

I am still using my kit many years alter and it works perfectly.

Kind regards,

Jacques

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• Gold FFM

Cheers guys, I'll give PNM a call in the morning. I'll ask if they do the twin header tank too, SJ's version is £195 ex vat.

Signature not working...

Hi alan,

Oh yes, they do that as well. I installed that on my car years ago, and it's fine.

Contrary to the rusting original item, which will leak and send rust into the cooling system - great...

Kind regards,

Jacques

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/04/2020 at 06:54, Chillidoggy said:

Unless the curve from the original engine-driven pump is plotted on the chart, there’s no meaningful comparison to be made whatsoever.

Here is a Davies Craig EBP-40 which I'm using for years.15444292_Coolingpumpcharacteristics.JPG.1562bc22b69fb6f2990bfc85a97b236f.JPG

Davies Craig Pumps EBP40.jpg

• Like 1

MrDangerUS

I used the commonly available Bosch 0392 022 010 pump (more flow than the ~002 pump) and 3/4" lines for my install. Seems to work fine with my low resistance heat exchanger. I mounted it inboard of the gas tank and don't hear it running at all. 

I always was curious what the resistance to the pump flow was, I would guess that it should operate at a low pressure across the pump if the lines and heat exchanger are big enough.  Time averaged results versus the engine driven pump should be better just on account of the electric pump running at full speed all the time.

BoschPump.jpg

RearCCHoses (2).JPG

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hey Guys,

i have to warm up the thrad again, sorry.

Juts to make one thing clear for me....

Why is it necessary to bleed the new istalled pump?

In my understanding, gravity ensures, water is down to the pump itself. So if there is water at the pump, it will start circulating. There is a 3rd hose on the chargecooler for automatically bleeding the system, right?

So I do not really understand, why I do have to do that on my own?!

Can anybody help?

Thanks,

Patrick

For a start, there’s no air bleed screw on top of the charge cooler radiator, which means an airlock is a common occurrence. Jacking the car up as high as possible at the rear helps. When you run the electric pump with ignition on, listen, and you will hear it cavitate if there’s air in the system.

Rather than messing around, I found it easier to just drive the car a few times over a couple of days, then check the CC plug and top it up with coolant, the movement seems to help move any air locks.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

55 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Rather than messing around, I found it easier to just drive the car a few times over a couple of days, then check the CC plug and top it up with coolant, the movement seems to help move any air locks.

That's what I thought. Just checking the coolant level regularily and refill as necessary. Maybe it takes a little longer, but in the end it will bleed itself, right?