Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Picture & Video Thread - Page 136 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Picture & Video Thread

Bibs

Thanks, Gavin. I'm loathe to admit it after hearing account of a number of ugly, largely pointless engine swap bodges but this appears to be a winner. That LS series engine just seems to be a silver bullet solution for swaps, one example being a 4th generation RX-7 circuit racer seen in this region performing beautifully. The Renegade package is so far removed from such hack jobs as the Ford 5 litre swap which required carving a clearance hole for the water pump in the cabin aft bulkhead!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
7 minutes ago, drdoom said:

Thanks, Gavin. I'm loathe to admit it after hearing account of a number of ugly, largely pointless engine swap bodges but this appears to be a winner. That LS series engine just seems to be a silver bullet solution for swaps, one example being a 4th generation RX-7 circuit racer seen in this region performing beautifully. The Renegade package is so far removed from such hack jobs as the Ford 5 litre swap which required carving a clearance hole for the water pump in the cabin aft bulkhead!

Curious, though, how the GM lump + Porsche trans can come up 200 lb. short of the Esprit OEM package.

• Like 2

On 09/12/2022 at 17:10, chipp said:

I think @OwenGT3 will no the answer to that one.

I've checked his posts and can't see anything other than when he did a shoot with Caroline Munro (the helicopter pilot in the film). 

@OwenGT3, can you help further?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

On 12/12/2022 at 12:33, drdoom said:

Curious, though, how the GM lump + Porsche trans can come up 200 lb. short of the Esprit OEM package.

LS weight advantage by piece: plastic inlet plenum vs alloy, 3 fewer camshafts, lighter heads and cam drive, no turbo's. To the contrary, plus 4 con rods for the LS. Crankshafts likely comparable.

Clever strategy on Chevrolet's part, foregoing state-of-the-art design for lightness, simplicity and minimal bulk. Have to think ACBC would have looked favorably upon this lump. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM
On 22/12/2022 at 00:27, drdoom said:

LS weight advantage by piece: plastic inlet plenum vs alloy, 3 fewer camshafts, lighter heads and cam drive, no turbo's. To the contrary, plus 4 con rods for the LS. Crankshafts likely comparable.

Clever strategy on Chevrolet's part, foregoing state-of-the-art design for lightness, simplicity and minimal bulk. Have to think ACBC would have looked favorably upon this lump. 

I always assumed that Chevrolet's decisions were based primarily on cost.  When they launched the C7 I watched an in-depth discussion with the lead engineer regarding design/technical decisions covering every aspect of the car.  I was blown away with the detailed thinking that went into the overall decision making process around all technical decisions with cost only being a small part of the decision.  Regarding the engine I remember service costs mentioned but a lot of it was packaging and keeping the motor light, keeping the weight lower chassis, and keeping the height smaller to keep the hood line lower and the weight as low as possible.  I walked away with a whole new level of respect for the corvette engineering team.

ps.  I also remember him saying they had 50 engineers just working on the exhaust!  

• Like 1

Instagram: @tpupnomad

1980 Lotus Esprit S2

1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit

Some other stuff  🤠

On 06/01/2023 at 09:32, LOTUSMAN33 said:

They still look so sleek and beautiful even today, looks like that cab ate all the pies and several portions of greasy chips 😁

True beauty is timeless.

• Gold FFM

Superb video.  They could have done with a balance bar though.

Love the shimosaurus!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.