Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Picture & Video Thread - Page 103 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Picture & Video Thread

Bibs

Fitting a Veglia style digital dash as seen on Car SOS,  or more likely going over to green LED dash illumination. Your Lotus Gold leather looks in really great nick.

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

2 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

That depends on whether or not you’re wearing any pants.

I love the Esprit....but not that much lol

2 hours ago, Choppa said:

Fitting a Veglia style digital dash as seen on Car SOS,  or more likely going over to green LED dash illumination. Your Lotus Gold leather looks in really great nick.

Led lights it is, The leather was actually in ok condition but its had vinyl spray, which looks great!

• 2 weeks later...

A unique 1977 Esprit S1 https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/lotus-esprit-gasoline-red-98ee60da-8a04-4d6c-b679-dcd91b454c32?cldtidx=17&cldtsrc=listPage

lotus esprit red

The launch of the World Championship Commemorative Esprit S2  in October 1978. 

JPS S2 exterior.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 12/05/2020 at 11:22, Finlandese said:

...I was testing some new equipment and how to record Esprit engine sounds...

Looks great, nice to hear too. Does your car have a turbo engine, or is it just an anomaly that makes it sound like there's a wastegate working?

1 hour ago, GTK said:

Looks great, nice to hear too. Does your car have a turbo engine, or is it just an anomaly that makes it sound like there's a wastegate working?

Normally aspirated HC engine with Lotusbits exhaust. The sound on the video is with an external mic directly to the camera. The end result is tinnier than reality and because of the mic location, the cambelt sound of more prominent than it is in real life. For the next try I will use two mics and two sound recorders an mix those tracks together.

Edited by Finlandese
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Finlandese said:

Normally aspirated HC engine with Lotusbits exhaust. The sound on the video is with an external mic directly to the camera. The end result is tinnier than reality and because of the mic location, the cambelt sound of more prominent than it is in real life. For the next try I will use two mics and two sound recorders an mix those tracks together.

You will find the quality of the mic to be important and the windshield/muffler you use. The less shielding the clearer the sound. A muffler should not be required inside a car. Either the cabin or the rear luggage area. Microphone placement is critical. I would recommend towards the back of the rear luggage area. And as you say, perhaps one in the cabin. Mixing the two as desired. Here's a photo of my basic audio set up. Note: the micophone capsule is a £450 Sony item and comparable to a Sennheiser MKE-416 in many ways (the industry standard super-cardiod microphone).

IMG_20200126_132042156~2.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fridge said:

You will find the quality of the mic to be important and the windshield/muffler you use. The less shielding the clearer the sound. A muffler should not be required inside a car. Either the cabin or the rear luggage area. Microphone placement is critical. I would recommend towards the back of the rear luggage area. And as you say, perhaps one in the cabin. Mixing the two as desired. Here's a photo of my basic audio set up. Note: the micophone capsule is a £450 Sony item and comparable to a Sennheiser MKE-416 in many ways (the industry standard super-cardiod microphone).

Good stuff! I have recorded with audio-techinca mics, omni dirctional for the cabin and barrel one for the exhaust + Olympus recorders. As my previous projects have been in convertibles, the windshielding issues have been quite intresting. In my Alfa Spider I had one mic in the cabing and the other one above the rear bumper. With proper protection this worked pretty well. I will try that again with Esprit and the other option that I was thinking was precisely what you suggested, by putting the other one to the rear luggage area.

7 minutes ago, Fridge said:

My recording was just a technical test prior to filming with Kawasaki Europe in Spain. I found that the microphone picked up a little too much transmission noise in the rear luggage area (it's an S1 with a flat area, unlike the S3 and ET). So that's what I'd be looking to erradicate next time.

I was thinking about the transmission noise and was planning to place the mic in the luggage area, as close as possible to the exhaust outlet. In any case, I thought that it would be childs play the record an Esprit, compard to an Alfa, but it seems that is not as simple, as I thought initially.. 🙂