Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Carfest - Events - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Carfest

Bibs

TLF have just been invited to apply for a stand at either or both of these events.

It's £780 for a club pitch + £180 if you want to camp per pitch (eg if 5 people want to camp it's £900!). Our other expenses to turn up will be at least £500. No flags or branding are allowed at the event :huh:

Rip off or good value?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

the former.......

don't understand the point of a club tying to promote itself with promotional aids......(ie branding)

youre not a shop selling coffee and sandwiches........

youre there to promote the club and the interest in the marque......

so no TLF logo....no Lotus logo......how do people know who and what you are?....

doesn't seem sensible to me

Edited by theelanman
  • Like 1

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

You do get space for 5 cars so that will help but I can't see the idea of paying the best part of a couple of grand potentially to populate a car show people pay £65 a ticket to get in to. We're essentially a free club so won't ever see that back. To be fair, we never see an increase in members or traffic after any of the shows so I can't see how any clubs justify this unless they're selling £75+/year membership packages.

We're there creating the spectacle for people to enjoy, I too think it's the former!

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I agree.....

there are a lot of the classic shows where if youre a registered 'display' car and fit in their criteria you get free admission....

the only other exception to the rule I have found it the CPOP (Cholmondley Pageant of Power)....or the FoS of the North.....

the guy who run this is deluded and is only after one thing......your money......and he's blatant about it.....but people still go.....

I suppose the only thing the carfest would have on its side is that it for Children in Need........which I guess is why its all paying.....

it then just develops into a posing contests.........biggest, best, most expensive........etc etc....

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

I would decline the very kind invitation on the basis that, that sounds like day light robbery. The stand should be free, what's the show without cars.

I agree with the above as you can't even sell your own regalia and gain new members over the show days .

Hard to see the value in it for TLF

but it would probably be quite a laugh to attend with the cars all the same.

that said I'm looking forward to the MBW event much more as well as the Lotus festival at Brands.

Is this the Chris Evans run Car Fest?  If so we have friends who go every year but it has little to do with cars and they are not car people and more about the bands.  It is a sort of open air gig but with a cars background from what I gather and that is what people pay for for the weekend, not the cars thing although nice ones there.  I could get more info if you wanted?

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

If Carfest is a charitable event (and I thought it was), in my opinion it's not a rip-off, it's rather more of a moral issue. That said, I also think Chris Evans is a right berk, so I wouldn't go on principle.

Hope that helps.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Open new tab, google, type Chris Evans, press search. (google is your friend Michael)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Rip off I think, can't se  the value in it and the flags and buntin would be essential to get people interested. I know when I see a stand that I like I would look to see who it is.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

• Gold FFM

Wessex Club Lotus will be at Car Fest South for the fourth year in succession.

We have a great time each year and take 7 cars. 

If you fancy going to Carfest this is a great way to do it. We get the cars on the stand and 7 pairs of tickets for the whole weekend. This means that we get to see everything that goes on, including 3 nights of an outdoor concert, a look at all sorts of exotic cars and buy loads of pies and cakes. When you consider that a single ticket is over £110 (and we get 14) for the weekend, it is a reasonable deal. We all pay for our own share of the costs.

The beer is a bit expensive, but other than that we have had no complaints over the years and I actually enjoy standing next to our cars talking about them to anyone (including some celebrities, if you are interested in that kind of thing) who comes along.

On the plots that they set up they put a 3 meter square Gazebo which comes in handy for when the rain comes down and all the staff (including security) are really good. We are not supposed to put flags up, but this is not policed particularly well. Just by walking around you can see most of the cars anyway.

There is usually a decent array of cars taking part in the Hill Climb and last year all the car clubs took part in a  parade around the site and the surrounding villages. That was a bit of fun.

As you can tell, we enjoy the weekend and will be there again this year. It does help with the costs that I live about 5 miles from the site so most of the club stay with me! 

Kevin

• Gold FFM

Is this the Chris Evans run Car Fest?  If so we have friends who go every year but it has little to do with cars and they are not car people and more about the bands.  It is a sort of open air gig but with a cars background from what I gather and that is what people pay for for the weekend, not the cars thing although nice ones there.  I could get more info if you wanted?

I think that I would dispute that it has little to do with cars (even though I am a little biased - having exhibited three years on the trot!). All day long for each day there are cars racing up the (not very good) hill climb; there is a car auction selling some very expensive machines; there are stands with all the major manufacturers represented (but not Lotus!); not to mention the twenty or so car clubs displaying everything from Camper vans, to Porsches, DeLoreans. Lotus and everything in between. There is also a club that donates rides in their exotica for a contribution to charity

I am always a little disappointed that Lotus do not at least have a stand there. In the last couple of years Noble have been there as have Caterham and X-Bow (I think). Mind you, the first year Lotus did lend me an Evora S to take along. I did manage to get a family of four in it and a couple of years later I bumped into the same chap who told me that he had bought one.

On another point, we have managed to get a couple of members to join Wessex Club Lotus, but you may have gathered, we do not see that as the point of going. It is a damned good weekend for cars, music and food!

Kevin

This is all very well but does that prize tit Paul Hollywood attend?

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I think that I would dispute that it has little to do with cars (even though I am a little biased - having exhibited three years on the trot!). All day long for each day there are cars racing up the (not very good) hill climb; there is a car auction selling some very expensive machines; there are stands with all the major manufacturers represented (but not Lotus!); not to mention the twenty or so car clubs displaying everything from Camper vans, to Porsches, DeLoreans. Lotus and everything in between. There is also a club that donates rides in their exotica for a contribution to charity

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

When I wrote my bit I was basing it purely on what I'd heard from our friends who are not car nuts so they obviously focus on other aspects.  I never even visited website as offshore and slow link.  Sounds like I'll have to get the tent aired and join them as they have suggested and let SWMBO go and do whatever they want and I'll do the car bits and drink beer!

If Mr. Hollywood is there the missus will be happy.  She spent some hours in his company at the Good Food Show in Glasgow as he was on her works stand (Lakeland) on and off all day and said he was very nice. 

Cheers,

Al.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

If Mr Hollywood is there, perhaps some one could ask him to pay all his debts.....

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

We cordially invite you to attend our amazing event. Our invite includes many exciting benefits including

Giving up several days of your very own time to prepare and attend the meet.

The unique oppotunity too Spend thousands of our own money to maintain and care for you own classics to show room standard so that you can loan them to us along with your own attendance at a very modist charge,which will allow us to promote just ourselves and financially benefit.

This sounds like a brilliant deal .............

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM

Thanks Kevin,

When I wrote my bit I was basing it purely on what I'd heard from our friends who are not car nuts so they obviously focus on other aspects.  I never even visited website as offshore and slow link.  Sounds like I'll have to get the tent aired and join them as they have suggested and let SWMBO go and do whatever they want and I'll do the car bits and drink beer!

If Mr. Hollywood is there the missus will be happy.  She spent some hours in his company at the Good Food Show in Glasgow as he was on her works stand (Lakeland) on and off all day and said he was very nice. 

Cheers,

Al.

If you do get down to it, come over to the Wessex Lotus camp and introduce yourself. We all take great care of our cars and love to show them off to other people. We might even share a beer or two.

Cheers

Kevin

Well i'll be there with the Sporting Bears (the charity mentioned above) and would love to have folks to mingle with in my down-period!

Hi Tom

As I said to Al - come on over - we were only about 50 yards away from the Sporting Bears last year. We are quite friendly! You might even get a cup of tea (no beer - you're driving!)

Cheers

Kevin

I think the way to look at it is if 5 people from TLF were thinking of buying tickets and going anyway why not apply, put your ticket money in to the cost of the club stand. That way you'd enjoy the show, show off your car and be guaranteed a decent parking space whilst you were there.

Years ago I thought Chris Evans on TFI Friday etc etc was a complete T..t.  However as I have mellowed I have actually listened to him and to be honest I now find his radio show about the best I am aware of on the radio.

I am rather disappointed to hear about the carfest story.  My belief (and I may be wrong) is Carfest came about after years of "The magnificent 7" auctions and people saying how can the average person get anywhere near.  I thought Carfest was created to cater for all.  Maybe I'm wrong.  What ever the truth is I think any club paying out those types of figures to attend is mad.  These clubs are generally operated by enthusiasts on relatively small budgets and as others say with virtually no chance of payback.

Keep away and let these self centered, publicity seeking, Im only here to keep my name in the public domain for a few more months until I am really past it p....s wonder around a field alone.  

If all the clubs said  "No rip off" then all these ""Celebrities"" would have no show to go to and would disappear.  Half the problem is paying them thousands to attend probably.

I'd be interested if the bands pay to be there.

Amateurs built the Ark

• 6 months later...
  • Gold FFM

If anyone is interested I find myself with 2 spare weekend tickets for this event (no camping I am afraid since I live very close).

We (Club Lotus Wessex region) are taking ten cars and Lotus 7 club are taking five.