Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 136 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm really pleased for lotus but it is irrelevant really now as we move to Lotus 2.0. We should not compare Lotus 1.0 sales with the future Lotus 2.0 sales but I know they/we will.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I think this sales boost at the end of Elise/Exige/Evora life bode well for Lotus as a brand.  Just my non-professional interpretation, but I think this shows Lotus is definitely more known amongst people than sales would suggest; it's just there isn't a compulsion driving people to choose Lotus over other brands.  I mean this especially for the US in particular, as I've seen US sales bringing into question whether Americans care/know about Lotus and if they can be successful as a brand.  Hopefully this means good prospects for the Lotus SUVs if they're good and well-priced products.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I'm really pleased for lotus but it is irrelevant really now as we move to Lotus 2.0. We should not compare Lotus 1.0 sales with the future Lotus 2.0 sales but I know they/we will.

It will be a useless comparison the moment the SUV comes into play.  The numbers are good considering the offering was limited, but dealers were supported by a steady stream of marketing pushes from factory. The buzz around the company also helped loads, as many did not know was still in business, and others were afraid of the company going tits up. It just shows what could have been.

The future bodes well because once again Geely has proven a steady pair of hands ushering the new era without ever rushing things. From 2018 to 2022, almost exactly four years(lotus was officially sold in September 2017) to bring new products to market. It could have gone faster but by Geely's own timetables Lotus is actually right on schedule. 

The only thorn in the side is that the Lotus NYO moniker had to be kept in Chine where Lotus will remain known as not a Lotus flower but a musical instrument. but maybe NYO will morph into NIO  because of the recent joint venture Lotus Technology. They have been very quiet on the new dealer front but i think there is a very good reason to that.

Future looks electrifying really!

Didn’t realise that Lotus are now part of an organisation this Big! As long as the cars perform I’m  sure their future is pretty secure 👍

”Geely Auto Group is one of the six verticals of Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, comprising Geely Auto, Link & Co, Geometry, Proton, Lotus, and smart brands. Zeekr is a new addition to this business division. Geely Automobile Holdings and Zhejiang Geely Holding Group will jointly own it in a 51:49 ratio. According to the official announcement, Zeekr is “a new electric mobility technology and solutions company.” It is one more addition to Zhejiang Geely Holding Group’s complex structure, which looked like this before its announcement”

3D4F1653-2FFD-4AA9-9A3C-31CA24F72946.jpeg

• Like 1

Interesting that sports car design and lifestyle vehicle design for the same brand are under different studios.  The sports car almost functions as a halo or advertising arm for the lifestyle sales.  I wonder if this is the ideal organization structure for Lotus product strategy, or if this is a result from acquiring the existing Lotus Cars and Geely respecting them maintaining some autonomy (like they did with Volvo).  Well anyway, I'm glad because I trust Russell Carr with the great work he's done with Evija and Emira, and I was initially worried learning months ago that Peter Horbury would be overall lead of design over Lotus.

Just checked out the DRIVEN video on  the Lotus type 62 coachbuilt by Radford as  we are supposed to call it. and at 9'16" into the video we can see a new construction on the Hethel campus, I seem to remember this specific location  was dedicated as a short term outdoor storage for cars. But now there's clearly a new Concrete fondation laid. The area appears to be partially fenced up to shield the brand new factory. Have they finally started building the Customer experience centre? or is it the new control tower?

27 minutes ago, Bibs said:

are extremely close to finalising new retail agencies in North London, Manchester, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Belfast, Milton Keynes, Sussex, Newcastle and Sheffield.

These sound a bit like 'show' stalls/shops at some well known retail shopping centres?

That’s what I thought. Post delivery you’ll probably have nothing to do with these new places and still have to liaise one of the existing dealers for servicing, warranty claims etc. Not saying that’s a bad thing, since it spreads the gospel to a whole new congregation. The existing dealers will still be picking up all the increased after sales business. I guess it’s an interim solution until the increase in EV sales dictates a much bigger UK dealer network.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Post delivery you’ll probably have nothing to do with these new places and still have to liaise one of the existing dealers for servicing, warranty claims etc.

I even wonder if the 'retail agencies' possibly in shopping/city centres will actually have cars for test drives, might get directed to the 'proper local' retailer for a drive, then back to the shopping centre to configure one if you want new. Or stick to the real retailer/dealers for a s/h one.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, DaveC72 said:

Repairer?  Is that good England (sic)?

Not sure what that even means... I mean, I can guess... does make me a little nervous though.

Never mind "newtwork" - wonder what they do there?

2 hours ago, Bibs said:

Lotus UK’s new franchised retail newtwork is comprised of:

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/lotus-completes-agency-sales-restructure-of-uk-dealership-network/252279

NEWS

Lotus-Emira-in-showroom-hi-res-1920x1080

Lotus completes agency sales restructure of UK dealership network

Full agency agreement now in place at all 13 of Lotus’s UK sites

Lotus is first OEM to have agency agreement across whole of UK network

Restructure is part of ongoing transformation

New retail agencies are poised to open in 10 locations

Lotus cars web site still has...service centres listed ....

LOTUS LITTLE SODBURY   ie Williams Bristol

LOTUS NORTH ACTON   ie HR Owen Acton N London

LOTUS HENLEY    ie Henley Hofmanns

They are not mentioned in the article, so wonder what future they have.....

But have all had their 'names' updated on the lotus web site.

I'm not sure they know...

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Williams have 3 Lotus vehicles on Autotrader , Hofmanns have a couple.

Have no idea how active HR Owen has been with lotus these days, they took over some servicing when London Lotus closed in around 2002/3.

I contacted Williams Bristol shortly after the 400 was launched expressing my interest. They didn’t have the courtesy to respond to a mail or phone call. Needless to say I went elsewhere and ended up with a new 400. 

With the Emira order I registered with Silverstone despite it being a 2.5 hr drive from my home (Bristol 30 mins). 

Bloomberg: Lotus Explores Electric-Car Battery Partnership With Britishvolt

This isn't a commitment by Lotus at this point since it's just a memorandum of understanding, but it could be feasible.  UK sourcing of batteries for UK automotive manufacturers is important due to high tariffs on imported batteries.  Britishvolt says their first factory will start operations in late 2023 and will be fully operational for 300,000 car batteries per year by 2027, so even with potential delays, their timeline matches up with Lotus' first commercial EV (Type 135 in 2026).  

But I can't really tell if Britishvolt is vaporware or at least not cutting edge.  They announced their first factory in January 2022, but they haven't started construction I think (their website shows cleared land but has a 3D rendering of construction).  They only really need money for construction, and according to them at least, it isn't difficult for them to acquire funds.  They have very little detail on their competitive advantage and battery chemistry from what I've searched.  For example, here's an article from February 2021:

Will Britishvolt batteries have a competitive advantage? How will they be different from the competition?

We are reimagining the manufacturing process, so it is much easier for us to adapt to new technology and new manufacturing processes. There has been something of a step change in battery technologies recently, and some of the things that were not possible in the past now are, and so we can start looking to adopt those new technologies to give us an uplift in performance in, for instance, the energy density and therefore the range of electric vehicles, which is the headline figure.

We are also looking at the low-cost, low-cobalt materials development. Traditionally, that has been lithium ferrophosphate (LFP), and while this does provide some answers, it is still not quite enough in terms of energy density and range to be useful in a lot of applications. We are therefore looking at the next steps and at adopting them into our manufacturing strategy so that this solution can be offered to those vehicles that are going to take care of the aspirant purchases.

Yet while saying this, promo photos of their battery cells are at the 21700 cell size, which is current gen on the Tesla Model 3.  The next gen battery size at 4680 has some definitive energy density gains, as bigger cells equal more battery and less packaging, but really only Tesla and Panasonic (one of Tesla's largest suppliers) are exploring usage of that size.  Also, Britishvolt announced partnerships to source cobalt, and while use of cobalt doesn't necessarily mean their chemistry is bad, it does mean it's not some crazy cutting edge next-gen chemistries that have been floated around.  They haven't really demonstrated/shown any batteries or released any specs.  They do have working relationships with universities in the UK and there seems to be a push to keep the UK competitive in the EV space, so hopefully there's a lot of collaboration for cutting edge tech there.  And the UK government has a ton of subsidies to support EVs in the country.

Well, hopefully Lotus has more information on stuff like that as an actually interested customer, and Lotus is pretty knowledgeable in that field from sourcing batteries for Evija, setting up their own battery test equipment/facilities, and working with Polestar.  

Edited by KusaKusa
  • Like 2