Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Formula One - Page 45 - Motorsport - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Formula One

KAS-118

To be honest, I think there is no chance of this race result being overruled on appeal. I reckon we’ll all just have to learn to live with it. I wonder if LH is considering calling it a day now? He seemed quite cryptic in the post race interview with Button, but I guess he’ll take some time to reflect. If so there could be a top seat coming available for next year.

It was all caused by a driver from another unrelated team crashing in a battle for last place. Verstappen took the chance for a safety car pit stop for fresh soft tyres, whilst Horner begged Masi to change his mind about the overtaking decision. Verstappen was always going to be all over Hamilton, especially with no threat from behind. Hamilton left a gap and Verstappen took it.

None of the above was the fault of Verstappen, so I can’t see them taking the win off him.

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
54 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

To be honest, I think there is no chance of this race result being overruled on appeal. I reckon we’ll all just have to learn to live with it. I wonder if LH is considering calling it a day now? He seemed quite cryptic in the post race interview with Button, but I guess he’ll take some time to reflect. If so there could be a top seat coming available for next year.

It was all caused by a driver from another unrelated team crashing in a battle for last place. Verstappen took the chance for a safety car pit stop for fresh soft tyres, whilst Horner begged Masi to change his mind about the overtaking decision. Verstappen was always going to be all over Hamilton, especially with no threat from behind. Hamilton left a gap and Verstappen took it.

None of the above was the fault of Verstappen, so I can’t see them taking the win off him.

Above is spot on and sums it all up . Think Hamilton will be back next year and really fired up. Neither driver did anything wrong and both teams had said they wanted it decided on the track. Thought Hamilton was very respectful after the race but wasn't impressed with mercedes taking a barrister with them to the race

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Mercedes have to object by Thursday when the FIA 'party' takes place. However looks like mercedes won't be pursuing it any further

I thought these words from Jordan were class to be honest.  I think the way Hamilton has handled this has won him a oot of fans.

Horners an entitled twit.

"You can't deny Verstappen the right to the championship," he said.

"However, on the other side, I think Hamilton has opened the door. He's allowed someone as aggressive and arrogant as Verstappen to upset him and steal his title from him.

"I think Lewis has been too nice for too long and I think he needs to harden himself up again.

"For me, it's his body language. Listen to the way he spoke afterwards; he was so sporting. All of Britain can be so proud of what he's doing but nice guys don't win titles and he's become a nice guy.

"He's the best driver I've ever seen and I've seen some really top drivers in my time, so for me to say that I'm really putting him on a pedestal."

• Like 2

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

58 minutes ago, duncx said:

I can understand that you're happy but do you not also feel a bit uncomfortable with the way that Max won his title? I'm not blaming Max for this last lap nonsense, he has to take what lady luck (or in this case Massi) gives him,  but if I was a fan of Max it would definitely take the shine off his win.

I'm not a Max fan (too dirty for my liking) but bizarrely, in this case,I actually feel a bit sorry for him; this will never feel 100% right.

Some thoughts:
Lewis Hamilton is a very, very nice and respective gentleman's champion imo..........

Max races "on the edge"......also forced to that because Mercedes has the better car. 

Toto Wolff and Mercedes imo are "on the edge" regarding protests etc. etc, nearly every race.

German generally do not like / find it terrible to loose from a "Dutch Cheese Head"

The "Merry Christmas Max Greetings" from the UK SKY TV imo were far from the traditional UK sportsmanship behavior and unwise versus an eager fighter as Max.

Ultimately he has won......I do not feel sorry for him as I never did with the most respected Lewis........

Edited by rudolphwolven
  • Like 1

Wot's F1?

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

19 minutes ago, rudolphwolven said:

Toto Wolff and Mercedes imo are "on the edge" regarding protests etc. etc, nearly every race.

German generally do not like / find it terrible to loose from a "Dutch Cheese Head"

Mercedes have made it clear that any request for an FIA enquiry is against the way the race was handled and that it is not aimed in any way towards Max or RBR.

Max has the title and that’s the way it will stay. What happened was no fault of his but I do believe that Horner, who now seems to have turned into an even bigger hypocrite with his post race comments, was implicit in engineering Masi’s decision.

After this and what Masi did at Spa I’m amazed that he has not been relieved of his duties this morning

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jep said:

Absolute tosh from E Jordan.

Merc were nowhere in winter testing Feb 2021. The new rules hampered Merc (and Aston), deliberately. 

Merc won the constructors title and nearly pulled off an amazing comeback to win the drivers title having been 33 points adrift. 

Lewis's performances in the last 4 races were supreme. He didn't buckle and nor did Merc 

Red Bull should have walked this championship but allowed Merc back in. They failed to win the constructors because they have a failed team ethos that marginalises the second driver.

Justin

Absolute tosh

• Like 2

What a complete s**t show from Masi / F1, what a terrible way to end the championship!  What a weird situation to be in, the appeal is not one team against another team, its against the establishment it self!

Anyone else think Lewis may not be driving next season based on his post race interview with Button?

• Like 2

So simple. Had Merc pitted Hamilton under VSC he’d have won whatever Masi decided. LH himself questioned the strategy to keep him out on both occasions. Masi was in an impossible position and rightly tried to let them race for the title rather than finish it behind the safety car for the worst ever conclusion to an incredibly hard fought title. Merc was much faster again at Abu Dhabi, they should have backed their pace and LH’s talent to get the job done from 2nd place behind Max who would have been on worn tyres. They chose to keep Lewis out the fault is theirs alone and now everyone’s calling for Masi’s head! The FIA rightly wanted a ‘let them race’ policy, Masi’s decision was rightly influenced by that. The same approach that benefitted LH many times over the season.

For sure the team bosses should not be able to talk to the race director, for sure there have been inconsistencies, for sure the decision to let some cars unlap themselves but not others was controversial but I firmly believe it was done with the best intentions to let the title be decided by racing. This notion that it was fixed is utter rubbish as everyone knows. They would have penalised Lewis for the off track advantage if that was the plan.

Everyone now says Lewis had no chance but that’s not true either. He had the advantage of controlling the restart from the lead in the fastest car in the grid. He had the chance to block Max or repass him for the lead. If Max took him out the stewards would have given it to LH, they made that clear - also unprecedented but also rightly so. The only advantage Max had was better tyres which Mercedes chose not to give LH.

If LH had pitted, MV stayed out on worn tyres and won the race behind the safety car we’d be seeing exactly the same uproar and accusations of fixing.

• Like 2

It's really soured F1 for me.

Clearly Liberty Media are pushing to make F1 more 'Hollywood' and indirectly (I suspect) has had input in how these type of situations should be 'managed'.

Sport should not be artificially made to appear more exciting. Sometimes it's boring and predictable. Sometimes teams and individuals are so dominant that races or events seem one sided, but that's sport and it has to be rule based.

Mercedes/Hamilton were so far ahead of RBR yesterday, that the contrived end result was bordering on criminal.  What about those people who had a bet on the outcome.....have they been robbed?

I'm not sure where F1 goes from here. It's a highly tech based sport driven by technical regs and rules.  It's not WWE.

• Like 2

It wasn’t given to Red Bull at all. Simply not true to claim LH had no chance. Merc had every chance to win in the fastest car plus LH’s talent and experience. The Merc was faster on mediums than the Red Bull on softs and faster on worn hards than RB on fresh ones. LH could have defended better and made Max go the long way round. Max was really smart to make the move early and from way back, his only chance was to catch Lewis early and by surprise and he pulled it off. Incredible given the stakes and level of opponent.

Best outcome for next year with hopefully some improved consistency and clarity from the FIA. Max is fully deserving plus there will be more fire in LH’s belly for 22. I want to see Lewis win 8 titles but I don’t think such a (probably unbeatable) feat should come so easily. It will mean more to win it next year. Exceptional driving from both of them this year, different level to everyone else neither deserved to lose.

• Sad 1

Mark Webber called it absolutely right in his comment last night. He said “allowing that last lap race was like inviting 2 guys to have a gun fight to resolve their differences and giving one of them a knife”

@jimichangayour analysis really says ‘the rules, common sense and F1’s credibility are meaningless. Next season let’s just have every race as a 1 lap shootout
BTW, Lewis decided not to pit during the virtual SC, not his team