Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
First drive in an Evora - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

First drive in an Evora

Escape

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

At the stage  you are legislated against driving the Esprit, the legislation will most likely prevent you from driving the Evora or MX5 also. :(

Looks like you'll have to wait and see what the alternatives are when that legislation arrives. Always look on the bright side of life and make the best of the situation.

25 minutes ago, mg4lotus said:

At the stage  you are legislated against driving the Esprit, the legislation will most likely prevent you from driving the Evora or MX5 also. :(

Looks like you'll have to wait and see what the alternatives are when that legislation arrives. Always look on the bright side of life and make the best of the situation.

Current legislation for LEZ is based on age/ Euro standards, which means an Esprit that predates Euro standards is already banned from several cities, whereas the more recent Evora is still allowed. So it is becoming a real problem for me.

@Bibs and @Barrykearley I should have guessed you would make the Evora's case, and part of me still wants to be convinced. But almost €3k just to register it and a further €2k/year on tax is hard to justify just to have a go. Especially because I didn't feel the magic on the first drive... I did enjoy my drive home in the Esprit in the same drizzle. It wasn't fun by a long shot, but it did feel special and I could look back with a smile when I parked up. Maybe the Esprit is my true love. (how's that for looking on the bright side? 🙂 )

Again, I do not want to build a case against the Evora, but I now kinda understand why they don't sell as good as they should/deserve.

Filip

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM
43 minutes ago, Escape said:

Especially because I didn't feel the magic on the first drive... I did enjoy my drive home in the Esprit in the same drizzle. It wasn't fun by a long shot, but it did feel special and I could look back with a smile when I parked up. Maybe the Esprit is my true love. (how's that for looking on the bright side?

The esprit is a different animal and driving one is always an event. The Evora you can enjoy and use daily.

I felt very meh after my first drive. The capabilities of the car on normal roads aren’t blatantly obvious and do take a few drives and some hours to sink in. Once you are used to the vehicle - they are sublime pieces of engineering - handle in a way the esprit with its 30 plus year chassis technology simply can’t. One thing is for sure - I will be back in Evora ownership in the future - but currently in need of a change for my own sanity.

one day chap - you’ll be dead - go and buy one and live the dream 👍

• Like 2

Only here once

13 hours ago, jerzybondov said:

Where are you based Filip? Belgium?

Yep, Behellgium, not a car friendly country and getting worse each year...

13 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

The esprit is a different animal and driving one is always an event. The Evora you can enjoy and use daily.

I felt very meh after my first drive. The capabilities of the car on normal roads aren’t blatantly obvious and do take a few drives and some hours to sink in. Once you are used to the vehicle - they are sublime pieces of engineering - handle in a way the esprit with its 30 plus year chassis technology simply can’t. One thing is for sure - I will be back in Evora ownership in the future - but currently in need of a change for my own sanity.

one day chap - you’ll be dead - go and buy one and live the dream 👍

As most on here probably know, I use my Esprit daily. Even in 2020 I managed to add 8500 miles, in 2019 it was 15000 miles, with some nice roadtrips. Totally agree it's always an event, and that's what I love about it, even trundling about in traffic. I missed that in the Evora, so while it might be faster, I fear I wouldn't get as much back from it. And I do stand by my remark that it's just to compromised as a sensible fast car. Probably the best of both worlds you can get, so could be a great choice for many, just not a dream for me. I have started looking at TVR (guess who's to blame for that?!), Noble and even a De Tomasa Pantera again. 😁

Very interesting to hear you weren't smithen with your first drive either. But then became a big fan. My mate already offered to have a second go, if the weather clears (light snow today...) I'll take him up on that.

Filip

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Escape said:

. I have started looking at TVR (guess who's to blame for that?!), Noble and even a De Tomasa Pantera again. 😁

Very interesting to hear you weren't smithen with your first drive either. But then became a big fan. My mate already offered to have a second go, if the weather clears (light snow today...) I'll take him up on that

Yeah sorry about that - can’t comment on how a tvr drives - I’ve never driven one 🤪

defo drive the Evora again - and again.  It really will get under your skin. Ensure the sport button is pressed 👍

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Interesting to read your views.  I don't daily drive my Evora, as my pre-Covid commute was by train, but if I needed to I would and will take it to our other offices on weekdays I'm not in London.  It's such a great drive and can handle long road trips, taking the kids 30mins to friends/activities, a B-road blast on a Sunday morning to the local cafe for bacon rolls or a day on the track.  I can even use it to take my bike to cycling events.  If I want to potter along I can and if I want to press on then I feel a connection to the road and an "analogue" experience that is part of the Lotus DNA.  Not everyone buys cars for this reason, which is why the Evora is genuinely "for the drivers" and not everyone will see the attraction.

I haven't driven an Esprit for years but can understand the sense of occasion and analogue engagement.  There are other cars out there (mostly older) that have some of those qualities but have significant compromises that keep me coming back to the Evora every year or so when I think if I should change.  Possibilities like TVR, Noble, Alpine, Mclaren, Aston, Zenos etc etc.  Or you could go in a different direction and buy a sleeper/Q-car/wolf in sheep's clothing, or a "pocket rocket" like the new GR Yaris, which looks to be a hoot to drive.

I suggest giving the Evora another few drives and try some of your other ideas too.  Then buy the one that inspires you to just go out and drive somewhere for the pure enjoyment of the journey.  My Evora is very capable for A to B but if I have the choice I'll take the long way A to Z via all the Ss :)

• Like 2

@TomE you make some very good points. Your Evora looks so cool with the bike on it! That's something the Esprit wouldn't handle. And I don't ski, so no point going that way either. 😉

The truth is I don't mind the Esprit as a daily, quite on the contrary, despite being hard work at times. Which also means the creature comforts the Evora has to offer don't really tip the scales for me.
For track driving, I think I would prefer the Evora, because it felt so solid and able to handle anything. I feel I'd need to treat the Esprit with more care on track, though that hasn't stopped me from taking it out and I'd love to do that again (be it at a modest pace, certainly not all out).

As for your other suggestions, I do plan to try some of them. I'm more tempted by the older models, especially when talking sleepers. I'd say E500, if it wasn't for the autobox. Lotus Carlton maybe? 😍
Pocket rockets or hot hatches are not my thing, I tried an RS Cosworth before getting an Esprit and didn't like it. Again, it's not about being fast, I want the driving to be an event and analogue. Which (imho) rules out pretty much all recent/modern performance cars. I've always thought an Elise or Exige would be too much of a racecar for me, maybe I should reconsider. And so the list grows. 🙂 Bound to find something to my liking sooner or later, and it's not like I urgently need a replacement.

Filip

• Like 1

Well Fillip,

I must agree. We have an evora S and an esprit...

The Evora is a great car, much faster than my esprit, a much more comfortable car, handling is superb.

But...every time i drive the esprit it feels so much more a very special car. 

Given the choice of one of the two it would be the esprit.

• Like 2

I just realized I've never posted a photo of the Evora. The one time I did remember to snap a photo, would be a shame not to post it.

1369659301_2021-01-1119_48_42.thumb.jpg.ff6fb7f726c89dea2d569a29dc031c63.jpg

• Like 1

On 15/01/2021 at 20:37, cor said:

But...every time i drive the esprit it feels so much more a very special car.

and there is always an increased chance of having a problem. I often had a feeling that I was 'lucky' to get to my destination 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
36 minutes ago, Escape said:

I just realized I've never posted a photo of the Evora. The one time I did remember to snap a photo, would be a shame not to post it.

1369659301_2021-01-1119_48_42.thumb.jpg.ff6fb7f726c89dea2d569a29dc031c63.jpg

Is that an SLC or SL in the background? I do love a R107

4 hours ago, exeterjeep said:

and there is always an increased chance of having a problem. I often had a feeling that I was 'lucky' to get to my destination 

Haha Keith that is part of the charm of driving one. 

• Like 1

That's a 450SLC in the background, may dads. Excellent cruiser and always good fun if he joins us on a classic car meet or run, but not quite my cup of tea.

In the mean time, I might have found my first project for 2021. Definitely not the same class as the Evora, but if she's in good health as advertised, I just have to buy her to have some open top fun this summer. I could even make some money selling on after sorting. 🙂 

I can't agree with the comments about needing luck to arrive somewhere with an Esprit. I can't claim she has never let me down, but every time it was normal wear for a 30 year old car with over 100k miles. I wouldn't expect the Evora (or any other car for that matter) to be without trouble either, be it more likely from lack of use rather than wear or age. And possibly not as easy to do a roadside fix, that engine looks very hard to get to...

Filip

• Like 2

My dad was thinking about selling it as he hardly used it last year. But in the end he decided to keep it and try to take it out more often. Which is probably for the better.
The SL always seems to fetch a much higher price than the SLC, making the SLC a better deal IMHO. Lately prices are on the rise over here and the SLC is catching up. We bought it pretty cheap 6 years ago, it didn't need much work, we had plenty of nice drives and it should now fetch a nice premium if we decide to sell.

Filip