Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
anonymised likes - Forum Info & Help - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

anonymised likes

mg4lotus

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 1 month later...

No problem with that at all, just saying as feedback that the statement of basically taking away something to try and get subscriptions puts myself off a bit.

There are lots of sites that don't charge for you to have a read or look at some pictures, but if you want some 'perks' then there is a subcription.

And you're right about the ads, quite annoying when they take over the page virtually. 

Edited by chipp

24 minutes ago, chipp said:

There are lots of sites that don't charge for you to have a read or look at some pictures, but if you want some 'perks' then there is a subcription.

That's pretty much what we're doing on TLF and have done for many years. I'm not complaining but this site has, as I've mentioned before, quite literally cost me seven figures to run based on the time it takes and lost revenue because of that from my other businesses. It's a bit better now with FFM's and advertisers but still doesn't mean I'm retiring young! We've always had a problem with attracting FFM's who are the life blood of the site in the 16+ years we've been online so I'm just looking at other options to make it better for those who do contribute.

Many other big clubs, AMOC, PCGB, JEC etc offer non-payers nothing, no access at all. You pay or you don't become a member, that's it. That's not a model I'd like to follow but their revenues, therefore staffing levels, events etc are huge so there is lots of merit to how they run things. They turnover millions and our FFM's generate about £7k a year - in fact a quick check shows both clubs have reserves of well over a £1m too! TLF is a very similar club but a very different model, we exceed them in several factors too but turnover and revenue are certainly very incomparable. 

• Like 2

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

This is not an orthodox car club though like AMOC, PCGB, JEC etc. It’s an internet only forum of like-minded Lotus enthusiasts. Those subscription car clubs involve dozens of volunteers and have far greater expenditure like (bi)monthly magazines, website costs, often stores of NOS spares, regular all year events, even race series etc. I have no problem with the TLF Google ads at the current free membership level. As for the anonymous likes, I find it a bit petty not knowing who chose to like my posts, but I don’t use that function myself anyway. Personally,  I don’t think missing out on this function would persuade many people to subscribe to FFM. Maybe it would make more sense to disable “likes” altogether for non FFM posts?

Why wouldn't you pay for something you enjoy?

Add to that the knowledge that Bibs makes zip from this enterprise, I cannot fathom why anyone would choose not to contribute.

Justin 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Bibs said:

TLF isn't about to disappear or go under, but more revenue would make for a better club. One day I hope to be able to employ people to arrange events, write news, make videos, run our socials better etc

Would absolutely love to see another Brooklands type event - more than happy to pay as well.

• Like 1

Only here once

@LotusLeftLotusRight- is there a reason you don't use the shop?

I've used it several times for spares/parts/etc from Lotus and that has paid my FFM fee many times over.

Just a thought as I think the shop is an under used facility as it has the same access to Lotus as Deroure. Just a bit cheaper each time.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM
15 hours ago, Sparky said:

I find it curious that people will part with tens of thousands of pounds for a Lotus, but won't stump up pennies for membership of TLF, arguably the best Lotus resource on the planet.  I am rather familiar with the amount of time, effort and money Bibs has put into this entity, and I will gladly pay my dues in recognition of this.

Thanks @Bibs for all your efforts, and I totally agree with @Sparky My Gold membership costs have been paid back many, many times over with all the support and knowledge provided on this forum in helping to keep my cars on the road. 

• Like 2

Hmm, I’ve tried to order FFM and input my credit card details. The order has been confirmed (#4623), but is still showing as “pending” in My Orders, with an option to pay now or cancel invoice. I don’t want to press pay now if it means I will be charged twice. Do I just need to wait a bit, or do I need to press pay now?

8 minutes ago, Bibs said:

It's showing as pending here so click 'pay now' and you'll all be good, you'll only be charged once and thank you :)

That took me back to the credit card details page. I re-entered them and pressed pay again, but it’s still showing only as pending. I did notice that it took a long time to process the payment, over 30 seconds. I’ll try on another device.