Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Emira - Page 21 - Emira Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Emira

au-yt

6 hours ago, Vipers said:

Just sent my deposit to Lotus Silverstone, I was really determined to not buy an Emira then I saw it and couldn't resist, I'm so weak.

My logic is that most of my other cars are a bit bonkers so actually makes sense to have a Lotus that I can drive more regularly for a change, will be going AMG, probably yellow with silver wheels to match my S1, really want the red interior but will have to think about that a bit more.

Really looking forward to seeing it at Goodwood now on Sunday.

I think that will look bloody epic in yellow. It’s an absolute beauty of a thing. Although I’d prefer a manual that AMG engine will be fantastic with the auto box. 

Interestingly this is what Autocar said of the AMG A45 with the uprated 416bhp engine and gearbox.  I'll 

Dual-clutch gearbox lacks refinement at low speeds
Rear-driven rivals offer greater driver satisfaction

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

On 07/07/2021 at 13:28, Evotion said:

They are likely bringing out the V6 first for three reasons:

1. They know the 4Cyl will look super value and sell a lot more. This is there chance to shift a lot of V6 cars  (cynical)
  2. They have more knowledge of the V6 so it makes sense to launch it first (logical)
  3. They need more money up front and believe the top model will enhance pre-orders and sales of the 4cyl (commercial)

That could be a 4th option!  :)

Hey it would suit me if i got a V6 launch edition and they then ONLY made 4cyl.  

Some other possible reasons for launching with the V6:

1) Lotus have a long standing relationship with Toyota and probably have a better margin on that engine than the AMG so they’ll want to kick of production with the more profitable option.

2) As others have said, minimise unknowns in the launch car, they can be confident not only that they can reliably mate that engine but also servicing is established so no additional work to do there immediately.

3) From a media perspective the launch reviews will be of the higher powered car with the better sounding engine and (likely) a manual. Those first reviews stick and that’s the review they want people to see.

4) By launching with the V6 they mitigate all the moaning about lack of character from existing Lotus owners!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gregs24 said:

Question is, how heavy is the AMG engine with DSG compared to the Toyota V6 plus gearbox? Could be 50kg or more lighter

I can't find the source just now but I read the AMG engine is 50Kg lighter.

At the same time it will also be more compact. This could create an even better weight distribution?

It seems the Emira V6 is located in the same Exige / Evora orientation ie tilted to the rear. When I first heard that the Emira was the same wheelbase as the Evora but only two seats, I thought 'Yesss!' they've tilted the mass to the front (as in the racing cars). But no, that will be luggage space and if a significant number of customers are coming from other brands, they are going to be blown away by the dynamics anyway - the wider track may be enough?

Now, I hope the 4 pot is tilted towards the front, even if not, 50kg less in a more compact volume could make a discernible difference...so despite the lack of manual I am currently leaning to this choice. A spiritual successor to the Esprit Turbo? 

Next, when Lotus say 1405kg 'in its lightest form', the question is; the form with 4 cylinders or the form with 6? The 6 cyl might be 1405 + 50 = 1455kg 'in its lightest form'. Tick all the options boxes and then, who knows...

Its going to be a great drive and I've put my deposit down, I am super excited to drive it on the road and on track and get everything my limited ability can get out of it...absolutely no holds barred 🙃.

Just need to choose which power train 😁

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

It looks better in the flesh IMO. Just back from FoS. Russell Carr was there as well today.

Loads of attention at the event. Sounds good with the V6. Also saw the Evija moving which is nice. Interesting that the engine in the Emira (V6) is not quite central. Just a note. Also the one on display had no panels under the car (yes I looked under there, if you were there I was the one on my hands and knees). So not quite finished!

• Like 2

The car on display (blue) is for photos only, not a runner. The dark grey left hand drive car is the first runner.

A Lotus person there told me i4 def the lighter car so performance would be nigh on identical between the two. 

Question regarding the V6 supposed power output in (EMIRA) they state 400 or 395. but can I ask does any know what Lotus do to make the same lump 410/420/430! I do wonder If It is in fact 430 thrown in for the last hurrah? Ie what's done from 350 sport onwards? exhaust/ECU tweak or anything internal?. Sorry If this sounds stupid but I just wondered without going off to do further research I thought I'd throw this question on here.. Other marques sometimes have to state certain figures to keep the rule book happy but in fact don't ACTUALLY detune it!! some have even more power than expected by a long way. lots of AMG's do. 

Same's goes for the AMG unit. could It be 416bhp as per A45S?..

Saw it today at goodwood and oh my it’s definitely even better in the flesh! There are a few bits that are a bit disappointing on the interior and the whole care feels a bit mainstream. But I have to hand it to them it’s a corker looks fantastic. The price is frankly a bargain when compared to the new Maserati MC20 which was my favourite car of the day.

one thing I did pick up on the door handle looked like it had broken on the passenger side and the salesman was trying his best to hide it.

92C4F36B-D10A-4B1F-B8ED-BC6528BDC919.jpeg

99167B4D-6732-43BC-AAB0-B0D9A5D96608.jpeg

2EF1C9E7-FE00-49E0-807E-01C01FF0A01D.jpeg

40 minutes ago, JCR said:

Question regarding the V6 supposed power output in (EMIRA) they state 400 or 395. but can I ask does any know what Lotus do to make the same lump 410/420/430! I do wonder If It is in fact 430 thrown in for the last hurrah? Ie what's done from 350 sport onwards? exhaust/ECU tweak or anything internal?. Sorry If this sounds stupid but I just wondered without going off to do further research I thought I'd throw this question on here.. Other marques sometimes have to state certain figures to keep the rule book happy but in fact don't ACTUALLY detune it!! some have even more power than expected by a long way. lots of AMG's do. 

Same's goes for the AMG unit. could It be 416bhp as per A45S?..

Nothing internal was done, it was all ECU, intake and exhaust. Trying to keep the engine bay temp low, so as not to cook either gearboxes hence the gearbox cooler on the most potent spec. Some have pointed to better cooling on Emira, so possible gains to be made there but we won't know really until they release S and R versions

33 minutes ago, KennyN said:

it's in a completely different league

To what and why?

1 hour ago, Hughesy83 said:

There are a few bits that are a bit disappointing on the interior

Can you share what they are? 

4 minutes ago, bosshog said:

To what and why?

1 hour ago, Hughesy83 said:

Anything Lotus has delivered to date.  The quality of the materials and the fit and finish on what was described as a development car was significantly better than what we see in the models that were at a similar price point before being retired.  The Emira is easily comparable with other prestige marques in this respect.

2 hours ago, PhilT said:

I can't find the source just now but I read the AMG engine is 50Kg lighter.

At the same time it will also be more compact. This could create an even better weight distribution?

It seems the Emira V6 is located in the same Exige / Evora orientation ie tilted to the rear. When I first heard that the Emira was the same wheelbase as the Evora but only two seats, I thought 'Yesss!' they've tilted the mass to the front (as in the racing cars). But no, that will be luggage space and if a significant number of customers are coming from other brands, they are going to be blown away by the dynamics anyway - the wider track may be enough?

Now, I hope the 4 pot is tilted towards the front, even if not, 50kg less in a more compact volume could make a discernible difference...so despite the lack of manual I am currently leaning to this choice. A spiritual successor to the Esprit Turbo? 

Next, when Lotus say 1405kg 'in its lightest form', the question is; the form with 4 cylinders or the form with 6? The 6 cyl might be 1405 + 50 = 1455kg 'in its lightest form'. Tick all the options boxes and then, who knows...

Its going to be a great drive and I've put my deposit down, I am super excited to drive it on the road and on track and get everything my limited ability can get out of it...absolutely no holds barred 🙃.

Just need to choose which power train 😁

I'm holding off until I know the actual prices for the different specs etc but yes - cheque book is hovering!

I assume the V6 has been used as it is a relatively simple job to just carry it over, especially for the launch cars and maybe even Lotus have committed to buying more than they actually used on the Evora and Exige ? But long term the i4 will be the only one available as Euro 7 kicks in in about 3 or 4 years time, I very much doubt the V6 will be made to be Euro 7 compliant. Not to say it will not be sold elsewhere such as the US.

After doing a bit of digging the combined weight of the V6 plus supercharger plus auto gearbox is 311kg. The AMG engine plus DCT is 231kg. 80kg difference - you are going to notice that!

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Even at the given bhp figures and weights - the 4 pot WILL deliver more bhp per ton 👍 - now that’s adding lightness 

• Like 2

Only here once

^^That is if they give the full fat 415bhp to the 4cyl but at 360bhp it would still be good. But as said this is still a prototype or at least a work in progress with specs that can change a lot between now and spring of 2022.

• Gold FFM

I think you’ll find if you do the maths - even at 360bhp for the 4 and 400 for the 6 - the 4 gives a better bhp per ton when you consider the engine weight difference.

Then you could consider this 95CEA2AB-5DE1-4358-BA3D-3E1AFCDEB4C9.thumb.jpeg.5ee042c88b436c145532253e11dbf4a9.jpeg

I’m holding back - but I cannot see my willpower holding when I see and can try one.

• Like 1

Only here once

I think the AMG engine will be the more desirable but disappointing it can not be ordered with a manual gearbox 😐

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner