Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
2-3 years left to enjoy our sports cars... - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

2-3 years left to enjoy our sports cars...

Bee

While you can turn off the warnings I suspect any related exceeding speed limit events may still be stored in the black box for later retrieval should an investigation be necessary. 🙁

That black box must get power from somewhere. It would be a shame if that fuse turned out to be very prone to failure. 😁

• Haha 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Google (or Apple) knows everything... Which is one of the reasons I'm happy to stick with a dumb phone. 😉 And drive only old cars that are in no way connected.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

Well the health function can tell the steps you take, the number of stairs you have climbed. Your phone can stop you using it because it knows you are driving, so I would suggest that there is a lot of information that could be kept that we just are not aware of.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another reason why the Emira will be my last new car.  

As is always the case, this really has nothing to do with saving lives, nor will it save the percentages that are being claimed.  Those kinds of things are typically claimed to con people into letting them do what this is really about, and what they really (and always) want; control.  I just want to be able to get in my car and drive, without constant intrusion and interference from nanny-state control freaks, whose lives are so empty and meaningless, the only way they can fill the void is by inserting themselves into your life whether you want them to or not.

And also, isn't it odd that the same side that claims they want to "save lives", also wants to reduce the world population by 2/3?  In my book, anyone who has that dichotomy going on in their head is mad as a hatter.  The Emira is going to be a wonderful car in many many ways.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, simonb said:

going to need very smart sat nav that recognises a changed speed limit

As @pete says Waze does, and most new cars these day monitor traffic signs including speed limits. Indeed, 5 years ago my wife's Qashqai coukd recognise the physical temporary 50 roadworks signs erected on the motorway, AND the overhead electronic variable speed limit signs.

It seems a lot of people are clueless and way behind the stealth technology that has been creeping into cars for years.

the police and insurers have been able to read information from ECUs etc after crashes for years.

Big brother IS and has been watching drivers for a long time.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

our GT430 and our Previous Evora S (ICE) would tell you as soon as you went a couple of mph over the speed limit.

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

Mine does the same, but only changes the background colour of the speed limit on the sat nav screen. No audible warnings, no shaking of the steering wheel, no electric shocks from the steering wheel or seat. Sometimes get a audible message from the wife on the rare occasions she is in the car.

58 minutes ago, DarrylV8 said:

our GT430 and our Previous Evora S (ICE) would tell you as soon as you went a couple of mph over the speed limit.

But that is passive isn't it? In that it is based on the speed limit that has been hard coded into the SatNav map and your GPS location. There is no "active" reading of road signs and if a roads speed limit is permanently altered unless the map gets updated you are the non the wiser.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

In an Evora, it is, and you can turn it off. It's just a feature of the head unit. 

My daily knows the limit from the sat nav and also reads signs beside the road with the forward facing camera, eg no overtaking etc and displays them on the dash. That I can't turn off I don't think. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

We have had a number of speed restrictions amended in Nottinghamshire over the last year or so, and the Head unit has been telling us we are over the new lower speed limit, as far as I'm aware we haven't had the SatNav - Maps updated or is it automatically updated?

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

59 minutes ago, Bibs said:

In an Evora, it is, and you can turn it off. It's just a feature of the head unit. 

My daily knows the limit from the sat nav and also reads signs beside the road with the forward facing camera, eg no overtaking etc and displays them on the dash. That I can't turn off I don't think. 

I can't recall my Evora's oem Pioneer unit ever doing this and I have never seen a setting to activate it (not that I would)?

My Evoque reads the road signs (and overhead motorway signs) and you can set a warning at 5mph/10mph or 15mph over the limit or turn the warning off. 

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

3 hours ago, DarrylV8 said:

We have had a number of speed restrictions amended in Nottinghamshire over the last year or so, and the Head unit has been telling us we are over the new lower speed limit, as far as I'm aware we haven't had the SatNav - Maps updated or is it automatically updated?

Manual update I am 100% sure. So if you have not updated it, then it has not been updated.

The small print.

This has nothing to do with safety, but everything with control. Just like many of the measures enforced during the past couple of years.

I'll happily stick to my old bangers for as long as I can!