Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Would a Porsche Owner be Disappointed with an Evora? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Would a Porsche Owner be Disappointed with an Evora?

gurneyeagle500

Hello All.  

First off, in no way do I wish to insult anyone, or appear to be a troll.  

In my past, I've owned a few German cars including a Porsche Boxster, most recently owning an 2018 Audi TTRS.  I am on the waiting list for a Cayman GTS allocation.  When that allocation will come available is pure speculation.

Living just south of Jacksonville, FL, I have a Lotus dealer just 20 miles from my house.  The dealer has one 2020 and several 2021 Evora GT's in stock.  

Having recently retired, I'm in the market for my "last toy car".  As my wife will remind me - famous last words, but I'm really going to stick to it this time.  

I love everything about the Evora - exclusive, beautiful styling, and great performance.  I've read the forum posts and watched a bunch of videos.  Owners seem to love them, and boast about reliability and performance.  Honestly, the quality and reliability experience was surprising to me.

My only reservations are long-term reliability, some quirkiness, and parts availability.  Realizing that it's an extremely low-volume, soon-to-be "orphan" car, I hesitate seriously considering an Evora.  There have been a few threads on some minor "eccentricities" like the on-off temperature control.  

What attracts me to the Porsche, besides performance, is the amazing build quality, dealer network, and resale value.  

My conundrum is this - wait for maybe 12 months for the Porsche, or walk into the dealership tomorrow and take my pick of six different Evoras.  

Obviously, asking Evora owners about their cars on a Lotus forum will evoke some "partisan" opinions, but you guys seem to be fairly straight shooters, and many also seem to own multiple sports cars, including Porsches.  

So the question to all of you is - would you recommend an Evora to a Porsche owner knowing what is important to them?  Is it too raw and pure for someone who wants performance, but also a feel of quality?  Noise and ride harshness is not an issue. 

Your input is most appreciated. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not sure if Porsche owners fully understand the rarity factor ? Yes Porsche cars are hugely capable and drivers car but when you see so many on the road you don’t get that special feeling ! 
however you need to test the cars yourself and make your own conclusions reliability can be subjective ? 

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

I'd be organising test drives of a few.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Everyone else has already said it - go and try one. 

We had a 944S2 for 3yrs. It was 15yrs old when we got it, but it was a great car with neutral handling. As a drivers tool, tactility levels were literally miles from an Evora. 

That may well be down to “era” but a spell behind the wheel will tell you.

I have spent several weeks in Jax on business. Nice place! (Although when it rains - it really rains!)

Edited by mik
  • Like 1

I think most of it is already covered, my only advice is to echo the above comments suggesting a test drive. Id say that’ll likely make the decision for you. 

All the best and let us know how you go! 

Ben

• Like 1

Thank you all for the insight.  Very valued and most appreciated.  

No disagreement on the visceral experience.  What draws me to the Evora, besides the styling, is the fact it is more analog than digital.

Just to clarify - what are your long-term ownership experiences?  For US owners, how is parts availability?  

I have no doubt that the drivetrain (Toyota) is bullet proof; it's the little things, and the potential wait for parts, that have me thinking.  

Just to throw out a random example - how hard is it to get a replacement windshield?  Is the wait for a simple wheel bearing weeks?  Have any US owners had long waits for parts?

I realize this sounds a bit paranoid, but being such a low volume car, my first thoughts are that parts, especially with the car going out of production, could be a problem in the future.

I think the car is spectacular - great styling, amazing driving dynamics, and exclusive.  My only concerns are related to long-term ownership.  

Cheers!

Parts easier than McLaren. Porsche parts availability I cannot comment on but Stuttgart prices are steep these days. 

In UK, I have not had any problems with Evora parts availability to date. 71,000 mile 2010 car. 

Justin

• Like 1

@gurneyeagle500 Here is a very recent review worth reading. I have had several Porsche inc 987S, 991S. Great cars but not rare and can be expensive to repair. As already stated, go try one out and compare back to back with Porsche. 
https://click.m.haymarket.com/?qs=54ff25cd48e3e5e7c9d14df62c9b81a427f4021f6755e1db5b923b17d98478979764c5be1a5f51e7ca6e692ad7e3a3bb49467812ef167d285f0799b162d0fd93

• Like 1

You currently drive an Audi. What attracts you to the Audi? Its about as polar opposite to the Evora as it gets. I'd say the Cayman GTS sits somewhere in between.

Waiting for spares will be an issue with Lotus. If you plan to drive everyday then this may be a problem.

Mechanicals of the Lotus will be more reliable than the Porsche. However things like trim will be better in the Porsche.

Driving experience - hands down Lotus. Some reviewers critique the modern Porsches as being a bit "numb" unless its a GT3 or GT4. An Evora is comfortable enough to drive in any road/traffic condition. I couldnt say that about an Elise. The attraction of this generation of Lotus is, as you state, the analogue feel, yet in a modern car. Cant really say that about many other cars, including the Alpine A110 that I very much covet. It's just a really well sorted modern car.

Should also respond to your query on noise and ride. The Evora makes all the right noises and you will hear them. Having said that, its much quieter than my Elise, but thats to be expected. I had an Audi R8 and it was too quiet. Why have a V8 when you cannot hear it? Ride is going to be far more comfortable in the Evora than the Cayman. Definitely better than the Audi. Thats part of the Lotus magic.

Resale right now favours just about any Porsche. I'm not so sure that will be the case in future. After the Emira there will be no more ICE Lotus'. If there is still demand, supply will become scarce. Rumours are Porsche will start making EV Caymans so perhaps the current 718 will retain value.

Why not a GT4 if the $ makes sense for you? I was cross shopping the GT4.

Edited by Yan
comments on noise and ride
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM

2014 Evora - and not needed a single part yet in my 3 years of ownership. Nothing has gone wrong. No breakages. Nothing worn out. The perfect no ongoing cost car.

From your side of the pond there are US owners who aren’t too happy about having to drive 700 miles to their nearest Lotus dealership but having one on your doorstep should only add to the ownership peace of mind. 👍😊

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

On 06/11/2021 at 07:45, jep said:

Porsche are brilliant cars. However, they are heavy, most 1500kg minimum, generally 1700kg. Whenever I drive one, I can feel that mass. To find any sort of dynamic driver satisfaction requires such speed to render your licence and other road users in danger. 

Evora lack of bulk, the USP of Lotus, is apparent the moment you move 10 yards. This gets better throughout any journey. The steering is the best this side of a McLaren, the ride is a quantum better than any Porsche and the ease with which you can exploit the genius aluminium chassis will make you think you missed your calling as an Indy legend.

For the drivers, there is no downside - you will soon acclimatise to the mildly dated interior as the brilliance of Evora seeps to your core. 

If you don't buy, you will miss one the truly great sports cars of the 21st century. If you dislike it, you can sell it and when your next Porsche bores you at least you know that is how you like it to be.

Justin

What an absolutely fantastic summary of the magic of the Evora.    I’ve driven other similar (but heavier) cars claiming to be ‘sporty’ or even a sports car, and nothing comes close.   

• Like 2