Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Cost of living! - Page 25 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Cost of living!

Bibs

What I don't understand, and I'm sure you'll all put me right is why, if Prices are set for 2,3,4 or even 5 years ahead, why they went up within weeks and months.

is it me being cynical cause it always seems like it goes up immediately or in a short time frame but comes back down much slower AND never to where it was "Retail" despite Wholesale going back to where it was or even lower sometimes.

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I too feel your pain though my children four are still all under 12 and for me it's leaving the lights on, doors left open and leaving their mess wherever they go!

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-11684857/Bank-England-U-turn-dire-recession-forecasts.html. What a surprise the bank of England and mist economists haven't got a clue about the British economy

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Mystic Meg for Governor...

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Just got the Christmas-Jan electricity bill in. Usage was less then the monthly direct debit that the supplier said we needed on average for thee year. I'm guessing that monthly bill will be either the highest or close to the highest usage of any month, so their forecast must be way out. We're 3= x that month's bill in credit, and growing even as we go through the cold dark part of the year. I could be happy that we cut our usage by c15% year on year, so the costs haven't gone up by as much as they could have, or annoyed that we were wasting energy previously.

On 02/01/2023 at 18:22, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Correction to my December energy usage. It was £288, so £9.29 per day. I didn’t have the final details. £121 electricity and £167 gas.

£275 for January. £125 electricity and £150 gas. £236 per month direct debit.

• Gold FFM

Dual fuel bill from Octopus for January - £754.36. Get to F...............alkirk! It's a 3-bed bungalow, not Blenheim Palace.

If I was depending solely on the State Pension for income, that would leave me a few pence over £85 to survive on for the month, :o. Oh, but wait a minute. Maybe I've over-reacted. Ah, so once you take off the government subsidy of £67 and the Octopus 'Customer Service Gesture' of £1.52 (their generosity knows no bounds, :rolleyes:), I only need to pay £685.84. That's all right then. Phew! :no

Yet again, they've ignored the meter readings I submitted and used estimates instead - if they think that by continually doing this I'm going to relent and be 'persuaded' into installing a (not-so) smart meter, then they've got another think coming. Sitting 'on hold' for my call that's "important to them" to be answered as I write this.

January for us:

Electricity 633kwh              £127

Gas.    2497kwh.                 £  89

Total.                                    £216

Less subsidy                       (£ 67)

Actual charge for month    £149

Thank fcuk I’m still on July 2021 tariff, fixed for 2 years. Really not looking forward to next winter when reality kicks in, the first change to be made to our daily life will be turning off the electric underfloor heating in the conservatory which equates to at least 50% of the total electricity used.

Mine was £455 for gas and lecky with Octopus, which is bearable. No doubt being in the south the climate is generally warmer then further north, but having a boiler that Noah threw out because it was inefficient doesn't help matters.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Our house is relatively modern (1997), triple-glazed (fitted 3 years ago) and heavily insulated (also done 3 years ago), with a newish boiler (installed 4 years ago) and, recently, LED bulbs throughout (apart from the outside security lights that I posted about in the 'Unhappy' thread) so it should now be about as economical to heat and light as you can get. I've turned down the main thermostats and the boiler core temperature and reduced the times that the CH is on, like they recommend, and yet according to their estimated readings I'm now using twice the kWh I was 5 years ago.

All I'm asking is that they use the actual meter readings which I submit to them every month, several days before their cut-off point for doing this yet they keep using estimates and I have to persuade them to use what I sent them. Maybe they think what they're trying to bill this month will be acceptable to me because it's about half what they originally tried to get for December (£1495 odd) but it's still double the figure to which they eventually amended the bill (£367 bar a few pence). By my calculations, using the correct readings, January should be about the same or even slightly less than that.

After holding for about an hour, I eventually got to speak to them yesterday and they said that they'd amend the billing but I'm still waiting to see that happen - apparently in this modern age of instant everything, it can take up to 5 days for changes to appear on an account, :no.

As I said in my previous post, if you're trying to force me into installing a supposed smart meter Octopus, you're further away from success in that department then you ever were, just on principle if nothing else as you've now fired-up my stubborn streak, :angry:.

By contrast, I’ve not had a single problem with Octopus. They even answer my emails promptly. I give them readings when I get the request from them, and the balance is amended accordingly. I was one of the failed Avro clients that was transferred to Octopus, but in truth I had more trouble with Avro.

Margate Exotics.

I'm with Ian...compared to Ovo and SSE before them, Octopus have been great.  I do a meter reading every month and my bill is exactly calculated on that.  Any questions I've had have been answered quickly.  They do still "recommend" that I up my monthly DD to a level not required, but it is in my gift and I make it the right amount to balance the account each year - despite the nonsense they predict from time to time.  By contrast Ovo forced DD changes of over 100% month to month as their system couldn't deal with my higher than avg winter usage and lower than avg summer usage.   I'm still finding the jump in costs a bit shocking and I'm on a fix until next Oct.  After that my bills are likely to increase another 50% unless costs come down a bit.  This was the latest:

Janbill.thumb.jpg.963340eabaf2799a6d6f494ca330a864.jpg

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

We're with Octopus too and another thumbs up from me. Electricity D/D is only £48 pm for a simple on line reading. And with the £67 subsidy we're quids in 👍

Never, ever had any problems with Octopus and their customer service is streets ahead of Scottish Power.

3 months bill from BG (before any deductions)

kWh of last year Cost of last year
Electricity 896 100% £379 147%
Gas 4387 67% £516 154%

Highest 1st quarter cost in the last 15 years by quite a large margin.

• Gold FFM
On 12/02/2023 at 14:06, Rambo said:

Never, ever had any problems with Octopus and their customer service is streets ahead of Scottish Power.

That's true - SP were in a league of their own in the customer dis-service stakes.

Actual meter readings now substituted by Octopus in place of the estimates that they keep using regardless, and lo and behold, the adjusted bill is now £327.67.

Still way up on a year ago but half what they were trying to get me to part with last week so I suppose that makes it semi-palatable. 

I was an SSE customer since 1996 until Ovo bought them out. Been an OVO customer since. Have a smart meter that has been sending daily readings and my bill is calculated on those readings.

I have had zero issues with Ovo. I manage my bills/consumption etc online via mobile app and PC web access. I see clearly what I have used, what I am being charged for etc.

I am in control of my own direct debit, i just ignore the "suggestions" from Ovo Energy.

They paid my £400 support payments without issue, and I've just been notified my £200 for "alternative fuel" (heating oil) will be paid directly to my bank account this month.

A lot of people who have "issues" are the ones who have constantly switched for years. The industry message flows and back office systems were a complete shambles and many of the issues can be attributed to those. 

With Scottish Power, they have a Spanish designed "back office system" based on the German SAP software and it has had, a long of with many other of the big 6 (Centrica, npower, EDF) who used that system, some challenges. They are slowly getting their systems in order, but no consolation when you are the butt of the issues caused by it.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!