Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Steering wheel re-covering? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Steering wheel re-covering?

My steering wheel needs re-covering, but I cannot find anyone locally to do it. The leather is now so smooth, it’s difficult for me to get a grip on it, and I don’t want to wear driving gloves. I think it might be a Momo wheel, but I don’t know, and in any case I don’t suppose it makes any difference.

Has anyone had theirs re-covered before, and if so do you have any recommendations?

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The first Lotus picture, top left, is my original NA wheel after it had been done by Royal. I was very, very pleased with their work.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

I know this may sound a little heath robinson but, how about roughening up the smooth leather with a fine grit wet and dry abrasive and then apply black shoe polish? 

it is only a thought, and I don’t want to be shot down in flames for even entertaining the idea but, it worked on my knob! 

EDIT:- it worked on my gear selector, human interface unit.

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

• Gold FFM

Yes, @Bibs you are correct. Just thought it might be an alternative!

I did say it was a bit heath robinson 

• Gold FFM

On a serious note, you could have a word with Steve at Fulcher Coachtrimmers and see what he suggests?

He is a very knowledgeable chap who helped me with my interior recolour.

• Gold FFM

Can definitely vouch for Royal Steering Wheels. They did the wheel on my daily during the first lockdown and did a top job and the price was very reasonable.

Will take my Esprit's wheel to them at some stage when I tackle some more of the cosmetic stuff next.

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

Not necessarily suggesting it but you can get leather dye on ebay and a spray sealer.  Used it to great effect on a few seats now. I have sanded leather seats it feels very weird setting about leather with the wet and dry.

11 hours ago, Gjk said:

On a serious note, you could have a word with Steve at Fulcher Coachtrimmers and see what he suggests?

He is a very knowledgeable chap who helped me with my interior recolour.

Steve recently recoloured the bolsters on my Evora seats, he is indeed a legend 👍

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I've had responses from a few potential trimmers. Royal said they wouldn't strip the old wheel, just cover over it. I'm not happy with that approach, so I'm still looking around. I suspect Paul Darby may not be in business any more.

Does anyone know what the wheel rim is made of? Some kind of plastic, maybe?

Margate Exotics.

Have you tried moto-lita near Thruxton they did an excellent job on the elan wheel a very long time ago.  

On 21/06/2023 at 20:11, Gjk said:

I know this may sound a little heath robinson but, how about roughening up the smooth leather with a fine grit wet and dry abrasive and then apply black shoe polish? 

it is only a thought, and I don’t want to be shot down in flames for even entertaining the idea but, it worked on my knob! 

EDIT:- it worked on my gear selector, human interface unit.

Magic sponge and some water. Will take off the hand grease, bacteria, germs and general detritus, opening up the leathergrain.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

1 minute ago, C8RKH said:

Magic sponge and some water. Will take off the hand grease, bacteria, germs and general detritus, opening up the leathergrain.

I married the best cleaner in the business, she already did that, and it didn’t make a jot of difference. 

Margate Exotics.

Worked for me on my old VX wheel. Maybe you're just dirtier than average 😂🤣😂🤣🤪

The small print.

I had my X5 done recently by a local guy. His work is pretty good and I'm getting him to do my Evora next too.

He's not going to be very local to you but if you're struggling I'm happy to put you in touch.

image.jpeg.7090a6487bb2aa8e032241501b5fdcf6.jpeg

https://elitecoachtrimmingltd.co.uk/  You will look hard to find better, he has done a couple of DB5 full retrims for one of my clients.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

On 22/06/2023 at 09:42, Chillidoggy said:

I've had responses from a few potential trimmers. Royal said they wouldn't strip the old wheel, just cover over it. I'm not happy with that approach, so I'm still looking around. I suspect Paul Darby may not be in business any more.

Does anyone know what the wheel rim is made of? Some kind of plastic, maybe?

Paul Darby did my wheel a couple of months ago and I think his son also works in the business