Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New Oil Leak - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

New Oil Leak

ColinMullaney

Good morning everyone, I am new to the Lotus world having recently purchased a 1992 Esprit. It has developed an oil leak that I hope to repair over the winter. Perhaps some members have encountered this and can provide some guidance please. I flew to Newfoundland, Canada to inspect and buy this beautiful car, then drove it 1,000 trouble free kms in the next two days. I left it with a transport company and flew home to Alberta, Canada. When it arrived a few weeks later it was driven into my garage. It ran for about 80-90 seconds but curiously, the coolant light was on and there was smoke coming out of the engine compartment. Oil pressure was good, check engine light was on, temperature gauge needle had just barely moved off the minimum temperature. 

I have since topped up the coolant level and started it a few times in an attempt to locate the oil leak.  The coolant light is off, the oil pressure gauge and check engine light are off and on intermittently, sometimes resolved with a quick rev of the engine. The leak appears to be originating between the exhaust cam housing and the head.

I understand this will probably require removing the engine. What other things should I check or test first while it is running?  What else should I look for when it is out? What else should I service while it is out? The clutch and cam belt were reportedly done about 4,000 kms ago. Any input will be greatly appreciated.  

IMG_3790.JPG

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Welcome and congratulations! That's Felix's old car, very nice it is too and a very rare high-wing! @Sparky knows the car and can no doubt advise when he's got a min :)

You'll want to get hold of Espritmon and/or Freescan and an ALDL cable too...

https://forums.thelotusforums.com/forum/85-ecufreescanespritmon/

They're super useful diagnosis CEL's although you can find the error code with an short piece of wire or unbent paperclip. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from him and everyone else. I buy and sell a few interesting old cars each year in my retirement so I can keep one once in a while. I love this car and intend to keep it! Needless to say, this is very dissappointing but I want to fix it properly before any severe damage occurs.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Ahhhhhh, hello old friend!

You have a decent Esprit there.  I have worked on and driven it on numerous occasions, even in NL.

The leak does look like exhaust cam tower to head (a common issue), but doesn't require engine removal to resolve as long as you're careful with the securing bolts.  I always do that job insitu, but occasionally there will be a stripped thread or two.  If you're lucky they're accessible but sometimes the engine/head will need to be lifted to resolve.  I may have been the last person to touch those, so hopefully they'll be OK!

CEL might be a code 26 (I'll leave you to look that up!) due to the car sitting around a bit.  If you want to play before getting a diagnostic lead, just remove/clean/reseat all the relays in the back - you never know.

• Thanks 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I'd go with with the easy option first - the exhaust camshaft end-cover. Looks exactly like mine did when it leaked, photo below. Clean up the area first, remove the heatshield and all it's associated spacers and washers, clean inside the recess, fit a new O-ring with a smear of sealant, I used Permabond A136. Put it back together again. With a clean engine, if it does still leak oil, you might have a chance of seeing where it's coming from.

Revving the engine to extinguish the oil pressure warning lamp? Is that something to do with the warning lamp relay circuit that prevents the lamp illuminating when the revs are below 1,600rpm?

Also - @ColinMullaney, a copy of the Lotus Service Notes and Parts manual are a prerequisite for Esprit ownership. Highly recommend you invest in them, they could save you a lot of time, and money.

IMG_5771.JPG

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Does look like the cam housing to head joint from the pics, although I would clean it and run it once to rule out the cam cap o-ring.

This will get re-sealed at your next valve clearance check, if you can wait, or at least be ready to do both at once.

• Like 1

Thanks gentlemen, I will be looking into all of these possibilities. It certainly would be wonderful to get it repaired without full removal of the engine. Unfortunately I have two vehicles ahead of it so it'll be awhile before I get to it.

Thankfully Felix passed on the Lotus service manual with the car. :) I will also get what ever is required to diagnose and read codes. Does anyone have what I need for sale?

Edited by ColinMullaney

17 hours ago, snowrx said:

This is surprising, with the many threads I've repaired on my head I thought the alloy was too soft to crack :D

Ouch.jpg

Trick of the light, Thomas. It's a casting mark, and there's one at either end of the head. 

IMG_3845.jpg

Margate Exotics.

32 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Trick of the light, Thomas. It's a casting mark

Yes, it would continue through the exhaust flange if it were a crack.

Cheers,

John W

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @ColinMullaney

Wow. Blast from the past! I know that car very well from when Felix owned it in the UK, I found a few pictures from back in the day!

As others have mentioned if you need a ALDL cable I can supply one or I believe @sanj also can set you up with one,  he is based in the US .

image.jpeg.d4babe4e4c714089db03fe98c894cc50.jpeg

• Like 2

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

I do indeed have ALDL to USB cable sets available for immediate shipment, see this eBay link to order:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175448207955

There seems to be some new restriction in the UK that prevents buyers from ordering these, but I do have a workaround. Message me if you are in the UK and wish to order.

Cheers!

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

Thanks guys, Felix is sending his cable to me shortly I believe. If that doesn't work out I'll definitely order one. I will try the rear cam cap O-ring first. Where does everyone buy their parts? I'm in Canada if that makes a difference. Anything else I should do while I'm there? 

Edited by ColinMullaney

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 17:37, ColinMullaney said:

Where does everyone buy their parts? I'm in Canada if that makes a difference.

http://www.jaeparts.com/ are in California which will reduce shipping costs, otherwise there are several in the UK.

Try SJSPORTSCARS.COM 

• Like 2

Cheers,

John W