Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora Window Regulator Repair - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora Window Regulator Repair

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You may already know, hence your comment, but I seem to remember when mine went, I was told it was indeed an Italian part.

I was told mine was water ingress related and think it was about £500 but can't remember if that was just the part or part and fitting.

The regulators are made by an Italian company called Nuova SME (now owned by Cebi Motors). My theory after I had one fail is the external sealing epoxy they use gets brittle over time, which then allows moisture to ingress into the electronics. 

Unfortunately I have not been able to find another vehicle that shares these specific regulator part #s, so Lotus likely had them configured for their Evora applications. 

1 hour ago, agentdr8 said:

Unfortunately I have not been able to find another vehicle that shares these specific regulator part #s, so Lotus likely had them configured for their Evora applications. 

Have you got the part number for the regulator?

This nugget from @JAWS might help you in your search (or non search): “For future reference a Lotus 6000 series part number means it is a proprietary part.”

Lotus doesn't offer the regulator module separately from the lift mechanism/frame. That part # is C132B4051F for LHS, Series 1. 

The regulator module itself has OEM labels on it, which likely indicate the differences between applications, but unfortunately the one from my Lotus unit fell off or disintegrated. See attached photo; the regulator on the left is the Lotus, the one on the right is for a Seat Ibiza MK2/MK3.

IMG_20190818_162251.jpg

• Like 1

I don’t yet know what the regulator internals look like, but do you think there is any possibility the electronic components themselves can be individually checked and replaced as necessary?

Here is a picture of the "brains" of the regulator module from the Seat Ibiza; the info on the sticker match the "lotto" number on the external label, so that is likely how they tell these components apart. 

There's not really much to it, aside from the PIC16 and the accompanying resistors, transistors, and caps. I suppose you could go over the PCB and test each component if it's a hardware-related failure. 

IMG_20190818_211616.jpg

Oh wow that’s waaaaay beyond my pay grade. Definitely looks like a job for my electronics wizard pal. 

Can you see any evidence at all that moisture ingress could be the culprit? If so, I guess one needs to ask the question what is different about how this component is mounted on the Evora door, compared to the SEAT or similar. 

To be honest, I don't recall seeing any indications of corrosion in the Lotus regulator, but it doesn't usually take much to make components go bad. I think the only thing that stood out to me was the thin epoxy coating, which appeared to be missing in some areas when I removed the screws/covers. And the fact that mine started acting up after a thorough soaking (hours of constant downpour), and that the problem went away after a week of dry days.

It could very well be something else that's being affected by the moisture in the door, but the connector faces downward, so the only other thing it could be is the wiring harness. I would think that if it's the harness, the problem would present itself with every regulator after a solid rain, and that doesn't appear to be the case (haven't had a reoccurrence since replacing mine, with plenty of rain inbetween). 

23 hours ago, agentdr8 said:

Lotus doesn't offer the regulator module separately from the lift mechanism/frame. That part # is C132B4051F for LHS, Series 1. 

The regulator module itself has OEM labels on it, which likely indicate the differences between applications, but unfortunately the one from my Lotus unit fell off or disintegrated. See attached photo; the regulator on the left is the Lotus, the one on the right is for a Seat Ibiza MK2/MK3.

IMG_20190818_162251.jpg

When I entered  454520002 in google a list of VW cars listed reference the window LHS regulator as your photo 

• Gold FFM

This is a great thread about what seems to be a very common and certainly frustrating problem.

I have yet to tackle the issue on my MY10 LE Evora and have lived with the problem of no ‘auto window drop’ on the driver side for some time. I’ve therefore been watching the relevant threads with interest, and would welcome comment from anyone ‘in the know’.

In a bid to pull some the issues together into this single thread - is it not the case that the ‘window drop’ function is also linked to a microswitch in the door latch which can fail ( water ingress and/ or mechanical damage) and which was the subject of a recall on earlier cars ?  

(The one and only....'Deep Purple' Esprit GT3)

• Gold FFM

Good work @Spinney I’d certainly be up for exploring a repair on my regulator when I pull it out this winter. If it turns out to be a relatively simple - and common- PCB board or component failure, then there must be a lot of regulators out there in garages and workshops that could be reconditioned rather than simply trashed.

• Like 1

(The one and only....'Deep Purple' Esprit GT3)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

To be honest I’ve not had a chance to give it more thought yet and the poor car has just been sat in my garage without moving since the reg was replaced.

I’m in Marrakesh at the moment (very probably the maddest place on this planet) so will start to look at it in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the reminder. 🙏

• 3 months later...

my window regulator does not open a bit when i open the door.

Should be some micro switch inside, anybody had a go at repairing this without buying the complete system?

Anybody looked at which motor lotus uses?

Thanks!

• Gold FFM

Has the battery been disconnected or flat?  If so, have you done the reset proecdure?  (lower window and hold button for few seconds, raise window and hold button for few seconds)

Might be worth taking the battery off for a short while and trying this, if you haven't already.

After that, I thought there was a thread on the forum recently where someone was going to have a go at DIY repair?

Dave

• Like 1