Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
What made you happy today? - Page 239 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

What made you happy today?

Laura

I was IT and it was financially great, but it did suck the life out of me with 24/7 support every day. Plus I was considered a deficit and they wondered what exactly did I do   When you explained your job their eyes would gloss over and you knew they either just didn't get it or were bored out of their mind. 

"I thought it was Lambo" -  Thank you very much and now it's time to educate the Exotic Less.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Airbus A320 and A330 seem to have had a few issues too!

That's one of the reasons that autonomous vehicles on the road scare the absolute shit out of me. I have little confidence in the computer programmers today as most of them just seem to cut and paste other peoples code.

I cut my teeth on Assembler 370, mainframe machine code some 38 years out and that was when mainframes had 16mb (yes, mb's) of memory and if you were lucky 500GB of disc!

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

Every single aircraft in the sky at the moment will be flying with a deferred defect. No machine is perfect but, you can fly on with certain defects.

• Like 1

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

Yup. My daughter works for an airline and am aware re the defects...

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Airbus Max  - No thanks.  Its only the software that makes it flyable (usually).

I too spent a career on 370 architecture machines  (a homogeneous environment that supported all applications on a single platform)  Many problems of recent years arose when computing became fragmented (eg mainframes interfacing with 3rd party packages or the Web) etc and you have a nightmare mixture of different platforms and operating systems all trying to interface with each other on different upgrade cycles and ongoing incompatibility (I would wager this is what's caused some large projects to fail or spectacular banking failures etc).   That's one of the reasons why cloud computing is 'the future' for now.   But I do wonder what will happen to pricing when it becomes ubiquitous.   

I always thought it was strange that IBM didn't licence a version of the MVS/TSO (mainframe) environment that could have easily have run on modern small or mid-range machines, allowing customers a viable alternative to the prohibitively expensive mainframe costs, which are pretty much pricing themselves into obscurity for commercial use.

(sorry I seem to have slipped into a mainframe IT forum mode...) 

I did a degree in Computer Science over 40 years ago. I started work on bespoke assembler - we developed our own CPUs. 7Mbytes of memory and battery backed RAM (that was subject to a patent) for backing store as disks weren't quick enough.

The problem with the IT industry is that there are not enough properly qualified people for the jobs so the companies take on the self taught. I wrote a blog many years ago after one of the many public IT failures that it was time the industry was regulated and anyone working in it should be properly qualified and chartered. 

I am a chartered engineer (CEng) and a Chartered IT Pofessional (CITP) - it should be mandatory that to work in the IT industry (especially on critical systems) that you have one of these qualifications. Then we wouldn't have as many cock ups.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

1 hour ago, oneshot said:

Then we wouldn't have as many cock ups.

Still have the same number of cocks in the Industry though!

The small print.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad to read your update John! I was thinking just this week it had been a while and hoping you and LotusRescue were doing well. 😉

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

13 hours ago, johnpwalsh said:

Now a kick in the but off 70 and no bloody chance of that. In fact, looking to get a BIGGER shed lol.

Sounds like you need an Apprentice John. I'm a spritely 56 (57 in Jan) and bugger all use with a spanner (though I am enthusiastic slow learner!) but I do make a great cup of tea!

It's great to hear that Lotus Rescue is thriving and I'm really looking forward to your Esprit being completed - Ice blue iirc, which is my favourite Esprit colour.

• Like 1

The small print.

• Gold FFM
9 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Sounds like you need an Apprentice John. I'm a spritely 56 (57 in Jan) and bugger all use with a spanner (though I am enthusiastic slow learner!) but I do make a great cup of tea!

It's great to hear that Lotus Rescue is thriving and I'm really looking forward to your Esprit being completed - Ice blue iirc, which is my favourite Esprit colour.

Hired Andy. That is if you can accept ultra low wages, working in bloody freezing cold conditions at this time of year. Put up with loads of wind up's and bullshit from the guys next door. Oh, and you have to give the boss the use of your car over the summer FOC of course. The Ice Blue Esprit will be on stand as an ongoing restoration project at one of the UK's largest classic, veteran and vintage car shows in 2024 which of course is Glamis. Get your ass booked in for the weekend. and any others who would like to display there car and support our club. Entry is very cheap for the weekend and we have a great night out on the Saturday. You don't have too attend both days. Bib's, time for you to visit Scotland's beautiful countryside with over 2,000 exhibits.

• Like 2

It started yesterday, but continued into the early hours today, and it definitely made me happy: I went to a charity metal festival, with part of the revenue going to the animal shelter where I volunteer. Me and a good mate went and had a great time, singing along with a local, pleasantly disturbed rock/punk band. I had been 20 years since I last saw them and even longer for my mate, and still we had no trouble remembering the lyrics. :thumbup:

For those interested, the band is called Belgian Asociality, but most songs are in dutch. 

Now I'm remembering I'm actually too old to party that late but I wouldn't miss it for the world! 😄

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Nothing more satisfying than leaving a crap company behind @ChrisJ. I was working at a toxic place earlier this year and got out. Laughed my socks off when the CEO posted yesterday on a platform how excited he was for next year and urging all good sales people to contact him.  In three years they have gone through 5 sales directors and numerous really good sales people. They're so crap they don't realise how crap they are!

Anyways, hope you have something else lined up and something that will give you a more positive experience. I've not looked back once since I left them and am having the best time I've had in years.

• Like 1

The small print.