Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora Picture & Video Thread - Page 225 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora Picture & Video Thread

Bibs

• Gold FFM

Probably a kaput battery. I had this in another car a few weeks ago (non Lotus). The starting had been a bit hit/miss for a few weeks in the cold weather. One day, I drove back from Tesco (started fine there), parked on the drive, went to move it 5 minutes later and nothing....just a click. I've never had a battery suddenly fail like that before,  but sure enough a new one and it's been fine since.

Something else to try is to put it in gear, handbrake off and roll it backwards/forwards (as long as you are on the flat!)....I've had on other cars that the starter can stick on / jam with the flywheel. Worth a try I suppose.

• Gold FFM

The first guy who came out had 2 very large jump starters rigged up in serial to try to jump it.

Battery output is also reading fine. It had a new starter about a year or a year and a half ago. Not saying it's not that as I hear they are prone to failure, but I hope not!

It does sound like a starter motor. Can you access it and thump it with a long bit of wood. That sometimes works. Worth a try I guess as with rocking it in gear or a bump start.

It might also be worth disconnecting the battery a while then reconnecting to do an ECU reset.

• Gold FFM

Rocking it didn't work! Got it on the truck in the end and it's now waiting to surprise Steve Williams on Monday morning 😁

PXL_20230401_200759665.jpg

PXL_20230401_202331382.jpg

I had a similar problem back in Sept. 2021. Relayed up to CM in Edinburgh.

A new starter (A132E0014K) cost about £370 then and 1.8 hours labour to remove and replace (exc. VAT)

Good luck with your repair.

• Like 1

On 01/04/2023 at 20:45, TdM said:

Not saying it's not that as I hear they are prone to failure, but I hope not!

I am on my third starter motor so a question mark over the units or something else is causing the failures which lotus has yet discovered ? 

• Gold FFM

It's still in the workshop. After a truck ride it seems to be happy as Larry and starts every time.

He's going to try it again after the Easter break. We're also going to change the battery as it was getting old and showing some signs of doing voltage on startup.

Typical that it starts working as soon as it gets to a mechanic!

• Like 1

On 01/04/2023 at 20:45, TdM said:

The first guy who came out had 2 very large jump starters rigged up in serial to try to jump it.

Battery output is also reading fine. It had a new starter about a year or a year and a half ago. Not saying it's not that as I hear they are prone to failure, but I hope not!

I hope you mean "in parallel" !  In series the voltages summate and 24V will ZAP a lot of the electronic components ...  

Phil           Leave me alone I know what to do - I think. 

On 07/04/2023 at 08:41, TdM said:

It's still in the workshop. After a truck ride it seems to be happy as Larry and starts every time.

He's going to try it again after the Easter break. We're also going to change the battery as it was getting old and showing some signs of doing voltage on startup.

Typical that it starts working as soon as it gets to a mechanic!

Sounds like your starter motor had just jammed and has now freed up?

For some reason the Evora likes the battery to be in tip top condition which is why I use  a CTEK trickle charger.

1 hour ago, rudolphwolven said:

Lotus owner for 30 years already.........first Esprit, now Evora.........life is short; now nearly 80 years of age.

Great to hear.  I’m new to Lotus ownership but if I can still keep going at nearly 80 I’ll be a very happy man.  Congratulations!

You were in that Lay-by for a long time @tim_marra, as when I flashed you guys on the way back (you were coming towards Glenshee I'd already been to Braemar, had a fab lunch, and was heading out back home but then decided to detour across the mountains to Pitlochry for an ice cream!  5 hours of driving nowhere!

Where you off to Tim?

image.jpeg.13238385669c624279579a76885680fb.jpeg

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!