Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ian's S4s refurb - Page 85 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ian's S4s refurb

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

That looks like a great result.

I hate doing paintwork, especially where it's visible, I always get frustrated by it and end up making a mess of things.

Got to do some painting on my headlamp pods imminently follow some repairs the to pivot points.

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Giniw said:

Nice job but as for the original lack of carpet I guess it makes sense since it's supposed to be the place of the spare wheel?

To me, it was penny-pinching given the cost of the car.

My carpet is easily removable, and the spare wheel still fits in there, with or without it. 

I stand corrected, but I believe Lotus subsequently put carpet in there for the V8 cars and also the GT3’s. 

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Yes, even the added-lightness GT3.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• 4 months later...

Thread resurrection time.

Early in August, with the knowledge that the epic Esprit d'Aventure trip was coming up, I ordered a cruise control kit from the US to save my right leg/knee/hip and make the long runs much more pleasant. Unfortunately, the kit arrived without the required control stalk. The supplier then sent a replacement switch, but due to incorrect scanning by the USPS, it didn't arrive in time for me to fit it before the event.

So, the driver's seat and steering wheel are now removed, and the battle of getting a portly pensioner into tight spaces/Lotus position will soon commence. Of course with the seat removed, the wife spotted a golden opportunity to clean in areas not usually accessible, and the driver's seat itself. I've also been instructed to remove the passenger seat for cleaning, all of which means that this could be a longer job than I anticipated.......

Margate Exotics.

Progress so far is best described as glacial. I must have spent hours just looking, measuring where possible, and checking, to work out the correct cable position to get the right amount of cable travel. I did however manage to drill a hole in the right place in the bulkhead with a long-series drill bit, and jiggle the cable in. I eventually decided to fabricate a bracket for the cruise cable next to the pedal box, the first of which, due to the limited access for measuring, turned out to be incorrect, and so I had to make another one. This one looks more promising, but sadly progress was halted by the supplied 10mm throttle pedal shaft clamp being too small, the Lotus pedal shaft is 12mm diameter.

I have now decided to fit a clutch switch, which will disengage the system when the clutch is depressed. I have a new brake switch so I'll use that. Just needs a bracket fabricating, and I reckon I can fit it to the inboard side of the pedal box.

No photos at this stage, 'cos there's not much to show for days of standing around, bent over, Lotus position, and pointing at things.

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

Curious to see how you make out, cruise is some where on my to-do list. I have an old '80's aftermarket kit and a OEM Mazda RX-7 unit in the attic, but I'm assuming the electronics have gotten better over time with stepper motors vs. these old vacuum systems. Which kit did you select?

36 minutes ago, MrDangerUS said:

Is it  Rostra model 250-1223 Universal ?  http://www.rostra.com/rostra-250-1223-universal-cruise-control.php

It's the Universal kit.

Have you done this conversion, then? If so, I'd be pleased to receive any tips or advice on the subject.

Margate Exotics.

No, I did not (yet), but I was looking at adapting Porsche 944 cruise configuration. However, I don't know if it is a "stand alone" system.

Here, I found video for Rostra:  

MrDangerUS

• 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Top job that Ian, you must be impressed now it’s all complete.

I’ll have to pop down and see your S4s again now it’s all back together….

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

16 hours ago, Gjk said:

Top job that Ian, you must be impressed now it’s all complete.

I’ll have to pop down and see your S4s again now it’s all back together….

'Relieved' is probably a better description!

Not quite all together though, as I'm waiting for new LED gauge bulbs to arrive from classiccarleds which have been delayed due to the chip shortage. Only then can I get the binnacle cover back on.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Just as an aside Ian - if you ever think that you’d like your steering wheel to be less shiny, and look as spanking new as the rest of your interior…..use a “magic sponge” on it. They work wonders at taking the shine out of leather whilst leaving an as new (matt) appearance👍

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, stephenwhyte said:

Just as an aside Ian - if you ever think that you’d like your steering wheel to be less shiny, and look as spanking new as the rest of your interior…..use a “magic sponge” on it. They work wonders at taking the shine out of leather whilst leaving an as new (matt) appearance👍

Thank you for the tip. I shall consult the interior refurbishment and cleaning department for her views on the matter.

• Haha 1

Margate Exotics.