Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora S 19/20 Tyres - Page 4 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora S 19/20 Tyres

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Does mixing the tyre specs impact on the handling?  I did that one with the Ginetta and it went from great handling to a scary snap oversteer nightmare.

Obviously the Evora isn't as light, but the power to weight ratio is similar

:lol::lol:

On the dry as Bravo said, if you're below the limit, you wont feel the impact unless you are really sensitive and apart from going from old to a new tire. At the limit, with PS4S at the rear, you will slightly increase the oversteer tendancy. The impact at the limit will be bigger on the wet as contact compound is N°1 for this performance. I didn't test this mix on the wet tho. But balance will be impacted for sure, maybe more or less progressive and/or greater oversteer or understeer tendancy. 

• Like 1

To @blueg33, if front/rear balance is a real concern, I suggest that you buy a full set of PS4S. Then sell the old MPSS fronts on eBay. 

19 minutes ago, rallyesax said:

At the limit, with PS4S at the rear, you will slightly increase the oversteer tendancy.

Won’t it be the other way around? With newer, grippier PS4S at the rear, won’t there be comparatively less grip at the front (so the car will tend towards understeer)?

Fronts are 14 months old.

I think I will go for MPSS and change them all next time to MP4S.

Are there any issues with 285's on the rear?  1% speedo change doesn't worry me, wheel arch clearance and geo does worry me.

30 minutes ago, blueg33 said:

Fronts are 14 months old.

I think I will go for MPSS and change them all next time to MP4S.

Are there any issues with 285's on the rear?  1% speedo change doesn't worry me, wheel arch clearance and geo does worry me.

No problems with 285 here. I've run mpss and the cup 2's. 

42 minutes ago, blueg33 said:

No problems here either. I’ve always had the ‘400 sized’ tyres on my S. 

3 hours ago, Bibs said:

When I change my tyres, I'll be going with MPSS in BMW(*) spec. I understand that were tested in Norfolk on the car a while back and had 'very good results'.

I knew for the Cup 2 in BMW Spec as it is homologated like this on 1 axle of the 410. But I didn't know they liked the PSS in BMW Spec.

Why was it not kept for the final Homologation instead of the RT model... Maybe price or sourcing issues :ermm: ?

• 2 years later...

Bringing this old thread back from the dead to ask a related question:

Which wheel is the speed sensor on for the Evora? On my 911 it’s at the front, so going up a tyre size on the back doesn’t affect your speedo, only the gearing by that 1-2%.

Anyone know if this is the same for the Evora?

• 2 years later...

My front corsa tyres have plenty of tread left but are looking old and are starting getting air line cracks between the treads

(Corsas on rear also and not due to be changed for a while yet)

For a evora S what is now the best tyre choice now that it's 2023

Also my tpms works fine do I replace them or just get new batteries fitted?

2 hours ago, Troy5925 said:

Also my tpms works fine do I replace them or just get new batteries fitted?

Batteries in TPMS sensors are not serviceable items, although have seen a video of someone doing it. Have to drill out the sealant and re-seal later. The sensors for the NA and S are quite cheap and are available as aftermarket and there are other cheaper universal sensors that can be programmed. Think there was a guy offering to program them somewhere on here.

2 hours ago, Troy5925 said:

For a evora S what is now the best tyre choice now that it's 2023

Whichever the most recent version of the Michelin Pilot Sport tyre is. It was the PS4S until recently but I think that the PS5S is coming out soon. 

(However, I wouldn't bother with the non-S version of either tyre; ie the PS4 or PS5. These are more aimed at hot hatches etc)

• Gold FFM

You generally can't go wrong with PS4S. I've heard good things about Bridgestone Potenza and Eagle F1s as well at the moment.

I've had all the above in the past on various cars, I've always found Michelin to be consistently good no matter which year or car, they work well in every condition AND last a long time surprisingly. I've found Eagle F1 to be better some years than others (especially in the wet) and wore out quite quickly (whether that's an issue is down to preference to some extent!). Potenza's I did not like when I had them on a car previously, they weren't very predictable, but it may have been the compound that year. I would read reviews here which are always good:

https://www.tyrereviews.com/

• Like 1

Michelin are always a fab tyre. Probably avoid CUP 2 for road use, you can't possibly go fast enough on the road to notice the increased grip. In the cold, you'll notice the lack of grip with CUP2. 

I run an all-season tyre on my NA, the handling of all Evora is so wonderful that I don't notice the compromise, though clearly they have less grip on sharp turn-in and a small loss of feedback. I wouldn't fit these if it was my only Lotus but I have Elise with Yokohama that give me the joy in that department.

I had Eagle F1 on Exige, they were fab. 

Justin