Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New Esprit - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

New Esprit

scotty435

Can not wait to every one saying it's to expensive even before we know the price.

Hmm. Very futuristic looking indeed. I cannot say it reminds me of the former Esprit in any way. But it resembles some sort of toy car in this particular Picture. Let's see. It certainly is going to be interesting.

Kind regards,

Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Looks like the same concept Autocar came up with a few years back, just in a different colour.

It's not a bad design but has nothing to do with the Esprit we all know and love. 

Bring Giugiaro back for a modern interpretation of his original folded paper design. 

Now that would be something truly special!

On 4/11/2018 at 08:42, Bravo73 said:

2020? No chance. 

If the car is based on the Lotus big platform - Evora VVA architecture -  2020 is not an outlandish goal. 

@TachItUp on the Lotustalk forum copy-pasted the Autocar piece  for those who can't wait to read the piece on Autocar website: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/new-information-upcoming-2020-lotus-models-449913/

If the car is evolved from the Evora chassis and gets a full carbon body bonded to an aluminium framework while using the experience they obtained from the previous Esprit redux projects(MJK's and Db's).I believe that the DB esprit was itself a development of VVA even if DB said different at the time The project got shelved not canned. The new one won't look like the Coco design but the bits underneath the skin may in fact come from the chassis developed way back when and will use the latest trickery seen on the GT430. They mainly have to design a stunning dress and refine the integration of Geely tech.

They now have access to a lot more staff within the company and within the group so a 2020 release sounds realistic to me. They also have access to a lot more money. So they can throw a lot more resources at it and again being part of a much bigger group which is used to dealing with premium/luxury vehicles production, they won't be in trouble when it comes to sourcing components.

Edited by NedaSay
  • Like 1

Had a chat to Scott Walker yesterday obviously he could not disclose to much, but he did mention the new Esprit a few times and on a new platform and was happy to talk about part sharing with new owners other brands and said he as never seen so much activity at the factory, job interviews. Never felt so positive for the brand.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NedaSay said:

If the car is based on the Lotus big platform - Evora VVA architecture -  2020 is not an outlandish goal. 

<snip>

They now have access to a lot more staff within the company and within the group so a 2020 release sounds realistic to me.

Wanna bet then? ;) I’m happy to meet any wager you set. :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

Wanna bet then? ;) I’m happy to meet any wager you set. :thumbup:

Wait a sec I must have a euro lying somewhere. :sofa:

Edited by NedaSay
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yet another Autocar report of two new cars, including an Esprit, due in 2020 perhaps with Volvo engines. :shock:

Cheers,

John W

• Gold FFM

Assuming they started work last year, three years for a new car is a short timetable. The only people who have ever really turned around a decent car in that time are... well, Lotus.

I hope they get it right and don't rush it needlessly. I wonder if a big push has come from China as they are desperate for their "British Ferrari". 

Personally I think an Elise > Exige > Evora > Esprit line-up makes fairly perfect sense, you just need a bit more logic in how the cars differ from each other and that should hopefully make them appeal to a much wider audience.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

@JayEmm - plus a car that will take the family - gives you a much wider audience than just 2-seaters.

• Gold FFM

That's the Evora in my eyes, at least as close to it as Lotus need to get. The SUV will cover most people if they really want a 4 seater Lotus.

A modern day Excel just won't work

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

My kids when aged 10 and 7 didn't fit into an Evora, so in my view it isn't a family car. Your line-up didn't include the SUV, which would (should) be a family car.

I think there is a place for a modern day Elite/Eclat/Excel model, but not as a top priority.

• Like 1