Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coronavirus - Page 43 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Coronavirus

Barrykearley

One has to ask why this (below) had not happened some time ago. Medical device companies. Military equipment suppliers. Drug cartels - wonder what the similarities aren't? 

"Reverse engineering means they took apart an existing off-patent CPAP device, copied and improved the design and adapted it for mass production"

• Like 2

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Latest word from the chief medical officer on the news this morning is to expect 3 months in lock down, followed by 3 months with some kind of restrictions in place so it seems likely it will be the autumn before things start to get back to some sort of normality.

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

• Gold FFM

Well, our son Jarryd can't come and see us and we can no longer go and see him. Skype it is.

Our daughter lives with us does our grandson, but once Alicia starts working in the next 3 days, she will be exposed to COVID-19 patients every day as well.

She has said, so as to protect Liz, myself and Logan (her son), that she will self isolate herself from our household. That probably means that she intends to sleep in her car in a friends driveway. I don't think that is a very wise idea.

I would sooner her come home each day, eat well and sleep well. I am quite sure, as we are isolated from everyone else as well, that it remains contained to us.

I can't have my daughter sleeping in her car no matter how altruistic that may seem.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

The last time I spent the night in my car was 1992. I was living in Germany at the time and had a 1970 BMW 2002. My brother flew over to visit and we decided to drive 250km to the now late lamented Rosso Bianco car museum in Aschaffenburg. After the museum, we decided to seek out a hotel for the night, but there was no room at the inn anywhere. So we parked up in the railway station car park and wandered off into town for food and enough drink to knock us out for the night. 

The sound of early commuters arriving the next morning for their trains woke us up. The car was freezing cold and all steamed up with what must have been 40% alcohol. We both felt horrendous and then had the 250km drive home to enjoy. Never again.

13 hours ago, scotty435 said:

Time for the world to pull together and not taking cheap shots at the Chinese. Like Tom Kilner says new diseases happen anywhere from time to time and cheap air travel as sadly led to this one getting us to where we are today.

That's is true to a point, but it has been said and proved in the past that the Chinese were the most likely to lead us down this road with their wet markets and some what curious food sources, and the lack of hygiene in these markets. Also with a regime that is willing to hide facts from the rest of the world about what is going on. Perhaps it is time that the rest of the world say it's not good enough clean up your act, we don't want to deal with you. I should think we will see a move to more local production of goods, as this has proved being reliant on overseas supply chains is not really beneficial. 

On 28/03/2020 at 16:25, Big Vern said:

So do i, in Eastwood. Didnt realise i had another Esprit owner nearby!

Hi I'm in Westcliff, there are a few round this way. 

• Like 1

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I’m also a bit wary of this cheap air travel explanation for the spread. People have been jetting all over the world for my whole life and yet we’ve never had anything on this scale before. I guess the difference this time is the shear number of Chinese people taking to the skies. 30 odd years ago either a) they weren’t allowed to travel to the West or b) they couldn’t afford to.

Maybe there should be restrictions on flights into and out of that country until they have been proven to have cleaned up their act? Pre-flight medical checks for all passengers perhaps? Essential travel only, so no holidaymakers?

43 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I do agree with you here re the rest of the world having a serious conversation with China on some of these issues - Asian Flu in 1956 killed between 1 and 4m.  SARS in 2002 spread to 17 countries. H7N9 in 2012 and now COVID-19. The general thinking I believe is that it was and is a ticking time bomb due to the size and more importantly the concentration of the population, regular close contact with lots of species of animals that are potential reservoirs of infection, and food chain hygiene. 

So whilst I agree with @scotty435 that cheap shots are not necessary, I also agree with @red vtec that the rest of the world needs to demand change and hold China to account properly and reduce/stop things like the wet markets were birds/mammals/reptiles that are host to various diseases that can jump species are brought tightly together and change the "culture" where freshly killed meat from these wet markets is quickly consumed and therefore virus mutations can be quickly spread to humans.  

I do think as a result of COVID-19 we need to look again at our food chains and ask why it is we need everything to be available out of season and so we get stuff "flown in or shipped" over great distances, with the potential to import new insects, pests and diseases with the food.  A better and more general education of the UK population and a changing of attitude towards food and its relative cheapness (which promotes waste) is required. I really do not believe that we don't have enough chickens, cows, pigs, sheep etc in the UK to feed the UK, so my first question is why do we import chickens/chicken pieces from elsewhere and export millions of chicken wings to the US (they do love their wings over there!). New Zealand Lamb? Danish bacon? Really? How about nice fresh Welsh / Cumbrian lamb. Pigs from Lincolnshire. Chickens from anywhere and everywhere in the UK.

It’s probably because they’re cheaper than domestically-sourced meats. Even with the freight costs. And none of us want to pay more than we have to.

It’s the reason why Thanet has the biggest hydroponics place in the U.K., but the shelves in our local supermarkets are still stocked with tomatoes and peppers from Holland, Spain and Morocco. In fact anywhere but here.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

41 minutes ago, oilmagnet477 said:

This - this - this - on steroids!

I have an agricultural background but left direct farming at the end of the 1980s - my subsequent career was based around the support industries to the Agricultural sector.

I KNOW everyone and their wives will shout that you never see a farmer on a bike (fat lot of use it would be!) but home production of food to the HIGHEST standards in the world (based on my experience rather than specific scientific data!) is what we need.

Even during the joke of milk quotas (EU driven) the UK were NEVER 100% self sufficient in milk and milk products - our Dairy industry has been absolutely crucified. Obviously there is always the 'drive' to get us away from eating anything animal related but on a practical level, that still accounts for a relatively small (but I accept growing %).

The economics of this Country are totally bolloxed as far as I'm concerned. As a % of earnings, we now pay massively for Housing (in whatever form that takes), spend fortunes on Cars (much of it debt funded) and everyone has huge tellies and loads of ££££ tech. What comes last in most peoples' monthly budget - FOOD. I think I'm correct in saying that we have probably never spent so little (proportionally) on food and yet it is generally the first thing people moan about. Yes, I know there are hardship cases out there - there always will be. I have no problem supporting those genuinely in need but why should any Govt's pick up the pieces (time and again) for peoples's bad life choices....

After COvid-19 - are we going to see some sort of economic reset? You've got to wonder...........

Footballers and so called celebrities earning annual salaries equivalent to lifetime earnings of even middle income earners

Supermarket staff and NHS support workers on pittances

Need I say more.........

I was told a couple of years ago when I was dabbling in local politics, that due to the vast increase in our population and the craze for building that there is now not enough productive agricultural land to actually feed the population. You can't grow cereals on Welsh hillsides etc...you can of course farm a few sheep. But the reality there is not enough acreage as you need X amount per head of population to be self sufficient as a country. 

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 10:49, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Unfortunately I think it’s inevitable we will face a second wave like Spanish flu in 1917/1918. Let’s just hope the vaccine is available before then or something to at least reduce the effect. 
Worrying and tough times ahead for all especially the poorer countries 😢

Dave :) 

Yes, there was a second and third phase of the Spanish Flu, probably as different variations (mutations) of the flu struck.

It's called Spanish flu but apparently not in Spain. the reason it got that name is that the Spanish were the only people to publish figures about what was happening.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dan E said:

Think about it we are flattening the curve by keeping them in, we need to let them out at some point, then what? I have never been very bright but someone needs to ask this question because herd immunity isn’t going to work for them! Happy to be told how this works btw 

I'm not a doctor or professional scientist, but here goes-

When you contract the virus you are infectious and can pass it on to other people. Your bodies immune system fights the virus and builds up anti bodies, you get better and you are no longer infectious. This virus likes to spread so a lot of people get infected on different days and timescales. Then because they get better and have anti-bodies they can fight off the virus as soon as they have contact with it. Eventually, because there is no one to pass on to at the infectious stage that doesn't already have anti bodies, the virus dies out.

I think that is what herd immunity is about. At that stage the older people can come out. Until the next variant / mutation starts to spread. :(

I was thinking about the fact that the covid19 is global fake news and a conspiration from the Nasa to create a world wide confinement in order to select the best humans for a mission to Mars. They will select the humans able to stay in the Rocket for months. Indeed your flat earth will be destroyed in 2021 due to an asteroid. Whereas I will be with my Lotus on Mars ! You are SO naive !!! 🙂 🙂 🚀🚀

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Bibs said:

Utilities and retailers, avoid airlines and banks :thumbsup:

Airlines worth a punt as they are very cheap. IAG and Ryanair have shed loads of cash reserves.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Michael. In a word. SHITE. About to start week 6 of a 4 week trip. And the latest we have heard is we may get off here in bloody June. Excuse the following, but. If those selfish pricks we see on various sites that we get some access aren't shot or at least bloody jailed for cavorting about, beach parties, house parties, whatever. Then there are hundreds of guys stuck away from home and not being helped by these selfish ignorant B++++++s. I have a 96 year old mother in lockdown in a nursing home who has 5 kids who always visit. Now she cant even get a messaged passed through a window. I have a wife in 12 weeks isolation as she is high risk due to recurring pneumonia and pleurisy with mild COPD who now cant get to the shops and is having to rely on neighbors and a fantastic community association in the village.  Please feel free to kick as on my behalf, you can even say its from me by name.

Other than that, I'm fine Michael. Hope you and the Mrs are well clear.

Sorry. Rant over.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1