Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The 131 engine - Page 3 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The 131 engine

Where would you want the type 131 engine to be sourced from?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Gold FFM

Cosworth? But what would I know........ :getmecoat: 

• Like 2

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

17 hours ago, electro_boy said:

I think the Merc AMG M139 engine has a too high power output and would be too close to the V6.   It would have to be a detuned version or a non AMG version of the engine.

What about something from the Ford eco boost range?  They are often sold as crate engines and used by other smaller manufacturers?

Ford are all 3 cylinder now except the 4 cylinder 2.3 in the Focus ST which is a cracking engine

The 2.0 Ecoboost was dropped a couple of years ago

Not a clue, just going off the speculation that it will be another Toyota derived V6.  Either the one that's currently used the 2GR-FE or one of the newer variants that Toyota make with better emissions.   So it's likely that it will produce similar sort of power output around the ~430/450hp, unless Lotus decide to strap a turbo or two?

The M139 engine produces ~415hp so its way too close.  The V6 would have to produce closer to 500hp for there to be enough separation between the two.  I also think 400hp is too high for the entry level engine.  

So I can see Lotus going for one of the less performant i4 engines that Merc offer.  I think around 300hp should be about right for the entry level model.

*** Edit: I've just seen on the other threads one of the car mags confirmed V6 will be Toyota derived and supercharged.  From the brief research I've done on Toyota V6 engines, I think that puts the engine in the mid 400 hp category as they are small incremental improvements to things like emissions etc so vaguely the same engines.  I don't think Lotus will be opening up the engines and changing internals only bolt on upgrades so if they are currently getting 430hp out the engine I can see Lotus increasing this by a bit but I don't think we're going to get close to 500hp.

Edited by electro_boy

2GR-FE probably replaced by 2GR-FKS. Output is not that different. I am pretty sure with the supercharger it gets a 430-500bhp range so it is all down to gearbox. I am not sure what aisin gearbox works for that.

8 hours ago, electro_boy said:

Not a clue, just going off the speculation that it will be another Toyota derived V6.  Either the one that's currently used the 2GR-FE or one of the newer variants that Toyota make with better emissions.   So it's likely that it will produce similar sort of power output around the ~430/450hp, unless Lotus decide to strap a turbo or two?

The M139 engine produces ~415hp so its way too close.  The V6 would have to produce closer to 500hp for there to be enough separation between the two.  I also think 400hp is too high for the entry level engine.  

So I can see Lotus going for one of the less performant i4 engines that Merc offer.  I think around 300hp should be about right for the entry level model.

*** Edit: I've just seen on the other threads one of the car mags confirmed V6 will be Toyota derived and supercharged.  From the brief research I've done on Toyota V6 engines, I think that puts the engine in the mid 400 hp category as they are small incremental improvements to things like emissions etc so vaguely the same engines.  I don't think Lotus will be opening up the engines and changing internals only bolt on upgrades so if they are currently getting 430hp out the engine I can see Lotus increasing this by a bit but I don't think we're going to get close to 500hp.

The car better be pretty light if the entry level is 300HP. I am just not convinced that Lotus can make a car light enough at that price point with current safety regulations. Hope I am wrong.

One article, I don't remember which one now, claimed "373kw" which is 500HP for the V6. Honestly if the top of the line Emira doesn't come with 500HP+ or doesn't lose some noticeable weight over the Evora it will be a big fail by Lotus IMO. Evora 2.0. Maybe a great car to drive, terrible sales. Especially if the car costs north of £85k. That said, I have no idea what the Emira is. Is it more in the Elige class or the Evora class? Or something in-between. Obviously that makes a difference. As does price. All I know if Lotus brings out another car that most people consider underpowered for its price it won't sell. The Lotus name alone doesn't have the cache to sell cars, they got to bring something more to the table. Considering the Emira may be the only car they have for a few years on the market, if it sells poorly that's not going to help the dealership network at all, which means even less sales.

• Like 1

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (MT) ◄ 2017 Lotus Evora 400 (SOLD) ◄ 2013 Lotus Evora S (SOLD) ◄ 2005 Lotus Elise (SOLD) ◄ 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (SOLD)

The 500 bhp quote was random drivel from an Australian website. They claimed to have got their information from a UK Autocar magazine report. No such story exists. It’s just fake news.

The base 4 cylinder version should start from below £60k and the V6 from £85k upwards. If correct, I don’t think the pricing is at all high. Judging from the Evora mule photos, it will have a similar wheelbase with a slightly wider track, but is a strict two seater, so rather like an Evora 2+0. It’s going to be nearer Evora weight, than Exige/Elise, so yes 300 bhp isn’t a huge amount for the 4 cylinder version.

18 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

The 500 bhp quote was random drivel from an Australian website. They claimed to have got their information from a UK Autocar magazine report. No such story exists. It’s just fake news.

The base 4 cylinder version should start from below £60k and the V6 from £85k upwards. If correct, I don’t think the pricing is at all high. Judging from the Evora mule photos, it will have a similar wheelbase with a slightly wider track, but is a strict two seater, so rather like an Evora 2+0. It’s going to be nearer Evora weight, than Exige/Elise, so yes 300 bhp isn’t a huge amount for the 4 cylinder version.

Honestly I am unsure what news is legit about the Emira. Most websites did articles that don't even quote anyone from Lotus, but state things as if they were fact. I have seen articles saying it uses Toyota V6 and another almost same day saying it doesn't use a Toyota engine. Honestly I am not even sure why its even to Lotus's advantage to ever say anything at this point, unless its something that is going to create hype. Telling the press "yeah there will be a Toyota V6 version in manual and torque converter auto" doesn't really fill people with excitement for the car. Makes most people think its just a differently looking 2-seater Evora.

At this point unless its a press release directly from Lotus I think I am just going to wait and see what July brings.

• Like 1

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (MT) ◄ 2017 Lotus Evora 400 (SOLD) ◄ 2013 Lotus Evora S (SOLD) ◄ 2005 Lotus Elise (SOLD) ◄ 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (SOLD)

Having an Evora NA with 276bhp that can be driven at reckless speeds on public roads it wouldn't worry me that the Emira came with a 300bhp engine that was lighter weight.

However, I can understand it when some people are saying the Emira needs to be competitive in the sports car market and for some that will come down to numbers.

Was a local car show yesterday and Exige S owner was there.  We have both read all the same articles, forum threads and presentations.  His take away is that the Toyota engine in any spec is unlikely.  My take away is the V6 is going to be a Toyota and hunch the 4 cylinder is a Volvo.  I think he may've thought 4 cylinder would be Volvo

Same sources, different interpretations.  We were also quite apart on expected US sale prices for the Emira.

If the car is not from the UK or Italy; it's not worth talking about.

• Gold FFM

Wow !!!

I'm not in the market for an Emira (just can't afford it), and I'm not an engine mechanic who knows the amazing amount of knowledge all the posts in this thread contain, however,

Is there a possibility of the appearance of the 2021 incarnation of the Pektron Inverter ?  

Geely are majority shareholders of Lotus. Just. Everyone is forgetting about Etika Automotive who own 49%. EA is really just a cover-name for the same Malaysian billionaire who continues to have a majority holding in DRB-Hicom, Interesting holdings when you dive into that side of things. Fundamentally this is an insurance led business with an automotive distribution component that is a very big player in Malaysia. Proton remains linked, but a deep dive does indeed reveal other automotive component and manufacturing businesses.

A famous engine manufacturer? That is a proper tease, but who pops up? Yamaha. Who design and/or manufacture engines for Volvo, Toyota, Lexus. A proper and current motorsport heritage. Lotus would naturally emphasise that link. 

If it is a continuation of the Toyota V6 type, with a different/upgraded gearbox you could expect horsepower to begin at 430 and stretch out to 460 with later editions.

33 minutes ago, cobwatch said:

DRB-Hicom

Given their heavy involvement in defence, does that mean we could see the Emira JB007 special with ejector seat, missiles, and what3words guidance system?

Outlandish maybe, but then so is just about every other post in this thread. If you don't know for sure, don't post, as otherwise it is just the usual internet BS and speculation and conspiracy theory (did I tell you 5G is really about population control and those waves are rendering 70% of the male population impotent?)

Why can't we just wait and see what is launched?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Pin on Peanuts

Nope. In a good mood actually, just a little tired of the conjecture that is going round in circles from people who know absolutely nothing other than what they have gleaned from some internet articles. A couple of people have provided some good intelligent insights, but the majority of the "insights" have been drivel. Just an opinion. And like everyone these days I'm entitled to one :rofl:

Stay safe. Stay healthy. 

• Like 2

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Was at the Lotus dealer yesterday and they said there's are rumors on it being electric that did not make sense to them since they previous heard it was multiple engine formats as we've all been discussing.

• Confused 1

I am not sure the source they heard that it was going to be electric.  Could've been a customer? 

The dealership thought it would be ICE based on what Lotus has directly promoted.