Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Drivers Pack and Suspension/Tyre Choices - Page 2 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Drivers Pack and Suspension/Tyre Choices

“Your comments are unhelpful”, the most condescending phrase ever used in a debate.

Ade is expressing his opinion Tom, a little forcefully perhaps, but he is entitled to do so.

None of us will know where Lotus have pitched the tour/sport balance until we drive each iteration.

Until then we are all guessing which will suit each of us individually.

Gavan is undoubtedly a much better driver than me, but he is not me.

My point was that button-adjustable damping would potentially please everyone.

12 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

If you really want it, I imagine that you will be able to fit Ohlins & the Mechatronics kit to your Emira. 

(It’s not adaptive damping, btw). 

I know that. Neither is PASM. 

If Lotus are chasing the Porsche market, it’s maybe something to consider.

• Love 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nah, both will be Sports and Goodyears.  I can't explain how strongly I feel about this.

Tom does have a point in that some people may read that as an undisputable fact.

Most on here who read the forums will know how to make their own mind up and for those who are new to the forum - I stand by my statement. In which case it is helpful as either they don't know the difference and they should default to Sports or they can see my post as a foil to the majority saying to go for Touring.

If one is as convinced to go for Touring as I am for Sports then fine, of course.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

• Gold FFM

Can you explain why you think Sport should be the default choice for people who don’t know the difference?

In what circumstances would you suggest people choose Touring?

For my two pence, touring if you don’t intend to regularly track and Goodyear’s if you want to drive all weathers. If you’re going to regularly track and not use in heavy rain use Sports and Cup 2, if you are going to use in winter then put Michelin PA4 on.

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

10 hours ago, KJD said:

If Lotus are chasing the Porsche market, it’s maybe something to consider.

I imagine that it was. And probably discounted on the Emira due to cost, weight, complexity and time to develop. 

However, for the next generation of cars (‘blank sheet designs’), I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it is a feature. 

• Gold FFM

Does anyone happen to know what the launch Emira had that Jenson was driving?

If I was getting an Emira, I would opt for the touring suspension as 90% of the time, it would just be for driving around. It would probably never see a track and would just get thrown about some roads that the fun police patrol so risky all the time.

Other than Sandown in Melbourne, I don't know of any other track really in Victoria?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, KJD said:

This might help with the guessing.

Or add some more pointless speculation. 😁

00E29549-75F4-4E38-BF8F-302DF3336163.gif

Thanks, that helps make this more specific.  Lotus have already said the Emira Touring suspension is equivalent to the Series 1 Evora S suspension (so that's ERSL/ELSR in your pic) and Sports is equivalent to the GT410 or US GT (VRSL/VRSR).

So, if you want to do a test drive you can compare an Evora S and an Evora GT410.

I couldn’t go the Silverstone event but my old man went in my place. One of the things I asked him to enquire about was the suspension options and which setup was more like the Evora 400 (a car I had set my sights on before the Emira was announced).  

He was told (by I think Gavin) that the touring is very close/similar to the Evora 400 setup and the sports suspension is closer to the 410 setup. 

I don’t know if this helps anyone in their decision making (it did for me, until I saw Harry’s video!) 

• Like 2

I think I had better give my reasons for my statement on the Sports suspension!

Let's have a recap which shows I am right and wrong!

"The car has two defined chassis and suspension settings. Tour is tuned for everyday road use, delivering the optimum blend of Lotus dynamic performance and handling with a more comfortable ride. Sports is available with the optional Lotus Drivers Pack and provides a slightly stiffer suspension set-up for enhanced dynamic capability and feel. Lotus Engineering departments have worked with both Michelin and Goodyear to develop 2 new tyre concepts that are larger than those of Evora and bespoke for the Lotus Emira. Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport tyres enhance all weather usability and ride quality without compromising driving feedback whilst the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres achieve extreme track performance without compromising comfort."

Ok - not in doubt. Tour is tuned for everyday road use, delivering the optimum blend of Lotus dynamic performance and handling with a more comfortable ride.  IF your priority over everything else the Lotus offers, or might offer, is comfort then Touring is absolutely the way to go. Of course, it might well be the best set-up for even my intentions on the course of an average journey but it is still not that simple.

"Sports is available with the optional Lotus Drivers Pack and provides a slightly stiffer suspension set-up for enhanced dynamic capability and feel."

Firstly, notice the word 'slightly'.

"Set-up for enhanced driving capability and feel"

This was the decider for me. Let's flip that around.

Lotus: Okay, so you want an Emira. Would you like me to remove some dynamic capability and feel for you"

Customer: Hey? Nah, of course not, Why would I want that? This is a Lotus right?

"The two settings are "noticeably different", says Kershaw, with Tour set up for the wheel inputs experienced on a B-road; too much spring rate there just wouldn't work. "A Lotus shouldn't feel turbulent, it should just ride the bumps." Whereas Sport, designed for a track where even kerbs shouldn't disturb a car in the same way, can afford to be more aggressive. "We can put some spring rate in", says Kershaw, "but mainly we still try and control it in the damper valving, get hold of the wheel early."

Okay, ha. Here it is more noticeable all of a sudden and will ride bumps better. One for Touring.

Or - is Gavin a paid employee of Lotus who's #1 target is the more comfy rivals?

""The first interesting discussion point is around the Emira's suspension; both Tour and Sport are passive set ups, the latter introducing new springs, altered geometry and different damper valving."

Hold on.. the Sports package is more advanced? Actual new stuff!  Count me in. :)

Lotus: Okay, next, would you like the old suspension set-up or the new bespoke one made for the Emira with new springs, altered geometry and different damper valving?"

Customer: Oh, the new set-up of course.

Other pointers.

It is a heavier car. It will be less 'put off' by bumps.

Use. It is a scalpel of a sports car. Does one not want to maximise that experience?

The Emira is fundamentally designed to be a more comfortable car with daily-driver 'potential'. Why would you want to make this even softer? Why dilute the experience that makes a Lotus stand out.

Harry's Garage. He has been in FAR more cars than Gavin. If he was surprised how firm it was NOT then that speaks volumes. Okay it was on a track BUT he knows about these things instinctively - much more so than any of us.

Future Regulations - consider that fast road use might get socially and legally unacceptable very quickly and you will spend more time on track days.

Seating - These will be the most comfortable seats from Lotus for a long time. Let the car do what it can and let your bum have the comfort part of it.

Ethos - Lotus has always been a car for the 'Drivers' not a sofa on 4 wheels. Ok, I know not everyone has a Bentley for the comfort journeys but let's get as much driving excellence out of it as possible.

Resale - Nono, I want Sports not Touring.  Yes, their perception can be misplaced but Sports is a psychological winner here.

How many people are REALLY going to daily drive an Emira -as a percetage of all owners - and then what? You will be going crap traffic speeds and the suspension is a non issue anyway. Get the Sports and enjoy the experience of a fully fettled modern Lotus.

Wondering...."Wow, I loved that spirited drive, i wonder if it would have been 10% better in sports? Umm"

Tyres/Tires - These are bespoke to the Lotus thereby optimised for a better ride anyway!

Lastly.

You take a friend/colleague/relation for a drive. What do you really want to hear from them afterwards when the engine turns off.

"Ah, that was a comfortable journey. More comfy that I thought it would be"

or

"Wow, that was an experience. Maybe too much for me all of the time but what a weapon".

Okay. We really don't know where any of us will be on this and we won't really find out until it is too late. I just believe, completely, the right choice given all of the above is still to go for Sports and with the Goodyears. I really believe more people will regret not getting Sports than the other way round.

My heart is not in question. I concede my head is :)

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

Just out of idle interest, has anyone asked what the actual mechanical difference is between the two setups? I suspect it’s not geometry, most likely springs and dampers, in which case it’s probably not going to be stupid expensive to swap setups later.

• Like 1

Have to agree I am with Ade on this one - its a Lotus so default should always be Sport.

My instinct is that most of us mere mortals probably would not notice the difference anyway, on track or road, but psychologically it has to be Sport!

construction and property consultants : My company

• Gold FFM

Pretty much what I said on this thread back on October 18th….. 😀

My Lotus History - 1998 Elise S1 (sold) - 1993 Esprit S4 (sold) - 2004 Elise S2 111S (sold) - 1995 M100 Elan S2 (sold) - 2014 Evora S IPS Sports Racer (sold) - 2023 Emira i4 First Edition V6 Auto (Touring Chassis, Hethel Yellow, Full Black Pack, Black Alcantara /Yellow Stitch interior and Steering Wheel, Yellow Calipers, Privacy Glass, Tracker)