Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Bob: the bullet that finally got me - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Bob: the bullet that finally got me

• Gold FFM

In @Kimbers-esque style, I'm sharing this on a new thread for the edification of youse guys, as we blokes are just rubbish at acknowledging signs and symptoms and dealing with nasty medical stuff.

Anyone acquainted with me will know that I seemed to miss quality control when I was built; I have spent a life fraught with all kinds of medical issues.  I have dodged plenty of bullets, but after 62 years one has finally struck its mark.  It's bowel cancer.  I have seen it with my own eyes, and Tracy & I have named it Bob.

Now for the gory details.  I have had all kinds of random issues since stomach surgery (due to GERD) years ago, so for me it's difficult to pinpoint early symptoms.  But out of the blue about 3 weeks ago I had 3 days of black, tarry stools.  On day 3 I decided it was time to seek advice.  Saw a GP and had an urgent blood test, which showed a dangerous level of anaemia.  That explained the shakes whilst rebuilding carbs and later holding a pint.

After finishing my pint(s) I was admitted to hospital where many tests were performed - gastroscopy, multiple bloods, CT angiogram and something involving a latex glove with just one finger - absolutely nothing found.  I was discharged to outpatients for further tests.  Two days ago I had a particularly difficult colonoscopy, without sedation as I'm a bit of a masochist.  This is because I have a rather unusual colon (typical) that is waaay longer than average and loops around a lot.  After more than one hour - take a moment to think about that - the doc persevered, got through, and found the little bastard: Bob.  to see the thing is actually quite cathartic - I now know my enemy.  It's bleeding, probably has been for some time, so that's the anaemia explained.

Coincidentally I'd returned my sample for the bowel screening programme a few days before all this, and that came back positive too.  So I was offered 2 colonoscopies!  But I'm not that crazy.  Interesting, though, that without other symptoms, that screening test would have caught it.  So, critical to do this test every 2 years if you're the appropriate age!

Multiple biopsies taken, now awaiting urgent CT scan, after which staging will be assessed and a treatment plan discussed.  I'll know more about my fate in maybe 2 weeks.  I hope I can trust the NHS to swing into action.  They've been bloody good so far.

I'm currently feeling pretty good apart from the anaemia, so quite weak and tired.  Tracy's had a hard time, but that will subside a little over the next few days.  I don't do sympathy, thoughts and prayers as they never cured anyone.  Instead, pragmatism, positivity and lots of really bad-taste jokes will always help one through.  I'm a sarcastic bastard and I don't expect anything less from you lot.

I will share this journey with you as I think it might be useful to some.  If not, simply ignore the thread!  This isn't going out on Facebook right now, as my kids don't want their kids to know yet.

Watch out Bob, I'm comin' for ya.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
56 minutes ago, eeyoreish said:

That really is sh*t news... 

Yeah, bloody shit, as a good friend stated.

Tumour humour!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Bobs a ****. 

I'm a good shot with an air rifle if it'll help? Could snipe him from 20 yards I think. 👍💪

• Haha 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Best wishes, you calling it Bob reminded me of this.

• Gold FFM

It's about my manservant...

Great of you to share this Gary and puts all lives other little aches and pains (Like the SNP) into perspective.  It really brings home the importance of that bowel screening test every 2 years.  I was so pi$$ed off with a mate recently who "poo poo'd" the whole idea and said a waste of time and disgusting to do it.  What he was trying to do is anybody's guess!

Good luck with your arguments with Bob.

• Shock 1

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

• Gold FFM

Wow, bit of a bombshell that!

The wise words of an Australian uncle of mine once said:-

rectum’ ! ?…..  it flammin’ destroyed ‘um!

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

I told you not to retire 

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

You'll drink Bob under the table Gary, only one winner there mate......

Dave.

So what dooo you call a drowning man...?

Put that shake to use - get some rattle cans and respray.

👍

• Haha 1

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

6 hours ago, Bazza 907 said:

Enough about you, are the nurses fit?

There’s a nice pair of boys called Julian and Rupert, but it’s difficult to see when your head’s being forced into a pillow.

• Haha 2

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

As I said to the doc t'other day: keep it up!

• Gold FFM

as I said on the text, getting a 30 year old Esprit manifold off or Bob no contest, Bob doesn't stand a chance. You look after yourself Sparkles. x 

• Gold FFM

Fuckerty Fuck Fuck! - Feel a proper git after that last picture I made now! 
Don’t think of it as surgery - more of a factory recall for an adjustment and like you say, laughter is the best medicine… unless you have diarrhoea.

Rooting for you and sending a man hug.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

No, not a factory recall @mayevora as the bloody parts will be on back order again!

Many years ago I was responsible for the IT project that introduced Bowel Screening to Scotland, to this day the software is still in use and all Scottish screening is still done in Dundee. It was a shitty job but I'm immensely proud of my small role in it, which established Scotland at the forefront if cancer screening in the UK. Eventually, England caught up! If you get the test don't be a prick, get it done and sent back.

@sparky my brother in law is called Bob, he lives in Bushey. Feel free to target him too! 😜

All the best with this latest adventure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, mayevora said:

Feel a proper git after that last picture I made now! 

Ha, you couldn't offend me if you tried!

2 hours ago, Dan E said:

as I said on the text, getting a 30 year old Esprit manifold off or Bob no contest, Bob doesn't stand a chance. You look after yourself Sparkles

YARN | I love ya, always have. | BASEketball (1998) | Video gifs by quotes  | 1c41e4f5 | 紗

Thanks, lads, for all the messages!  I will keep laughing right up until something drops me.

Still awaiting that all-important CT appointment...

A sense of humour and positive outlook is worth more than prayers or good wishes.

image.png.dda7bc1aa9707ca5c587db06ef39ab74.png

• Haha 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Here is a not very creative joke but one I thought might just put a smile on your face today @Sparky

“Why did the proctologist drive a brown Lotus Esprit? Because he wanted to get to the bottom of things… and maybe hit 60 mph in under 5 seconds!” 😄

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

spacer.png

• Haha 2

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Arg! And I thought I was special! You just have to copy me don't you! 

Though mine was on my front and involved not only 3 Colonoscopies (also non sedated) but a one down my Japs eye...... So Nyahhhhhh! :P

In all seriousness, I did tell you to stop shoving things up your arse! it can cause these kinds of issues!

• Haha 2

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer