Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 115 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

1 hour ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Never seems to get a mention anywhere.

Not mentioned on lotus cars website 

LOCATIONS

Australia article

Lotus looks set to unveil its first all-new, internal-combustion-engined model in more than a decade later this year, according to new overseas reports.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/lotus-to-debut-all-new-petrol-powered-sports-car-in-mid-2021-report-125024.html?trackLink=SMH0

Nothing actually new, but decent Telegraph article - PR anyway.  Gives the statement as from Bibs above and ties in with a "last chance" email from B&C. "The existing Elise, Exige and Evora enter their final year of production in 2021."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/01/25/lotus-makes-100m-investment-uk/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr

Edited by mdavies

The Magic Roundabout that is the CEO position at Lotus has been spinning again:

https://media.lotuscars.com/en/news-articles/matt-windle-appointed-md-lotus-cars.html

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Yep. 

Lotus’ future isn’t going to involve Mr Popham:

https://media.lotuscars.com/en/news-articles/phil-popham-steps-down-at-lotus-cars.html

9 minutes ago, pete said:

Has lotus got a new managing director?

https://media.lotuscars.com/en/news-articles/matt-windle-appointed-md-lotus-cars.html

OI am not really surprised. Considering his track record at Aston Martin, I was always wondering how he would get along with the no nonsense geely guys.

I guess they managed to get as much out of each others as they could and it was logical for both parties to look at a better long term fit.

Edited by PAR
  • Like 1

Wasn’t Popham supposed to be luring in the Big Spender customers from his Sunseeker background, to help move the brand upmarket and shift the Evija? If so, strange that he’s gone before anything has actually been delivered to these clients.

• Like 1

How long has it been for Popham? 2 years and 4 months and change. Leads one to wonder what happened but best of luck to Matt. It is good to have an Us Lot at the helm. He is 49 years old so it would be nice if he could remain safely at the helm for a long stint.

• Like 1

I agree, and with an engineering background from what I understand, he'll likely be keen to ensure engineering expertise remains prevalent to the Lotus ethos.

Good luck and longevity to Matt 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bravo73 said:

Do you mean JLR?

You are right. And on the Evija, I don’t think he delivered on the clients orders from the super rich customers Geely was expecting (I Would not be surprised if the Geely Chairman delivered more orders than him with his mates...)

Re Matt Windle's background, for a while from 2015 he was Operations Director at Zenos. Being one of their beta-test customers, as I was at the time, was a memorable experience. Sad end. Wish better luck now.

• Like 1

Considering the recent hiring spree the company has been on, the roster of competent execs at the top is well sorted, and besides MW was made the Managing director and not CEO as FQF is still CEO for Lotus Group.

As for Popham, we'll never know will we. His term at the helm was impacted by Covid yes, but the delays to the new sportcar, if in part due to new strategy (going full EV) were probably unwelcomed, and as for the Evija order book, we'll know soon if his address book was enough for it.

Usually its got a good sign if the head honcho leaves so quickly but I didn't really think Popham was a good match for the Lotus brand.  As people say probably bought in just to get Evija sales.  New guy Matt, looks a better fit for the brand so overall I think the change is good.  Fingers crossed for a good innings and hopefully Popham hasn't left behind a load of problems for Matt to sort out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jep said:

Thanks for posting Frankel article. He does not mention price point. Elise sluggish sales must surely be in part due to near 50k retail tag. Elise S1 was about 25% more than MX5 in 1997. Now it is 100%.

I remember watching a documentary on the making of the Elise & how they just HAD to get the price below £17,000 :shock:

Cheers,

John W

Yes. Road tests circa 1998 have the car listed at £18,950 which I think is what I paid in 1998 new. Not sure many left the factory in 1997 at under that. There was quite a hike for 111S in 1999 at £27K or just shy of. 

I would like to know why the disparity appeared between a base Elise and the opposition in the intervening 20+years. I think Lotus can sell plenty of Elise if they are 30% premium to MX5. However good Elise is, their market is very limited at 100%+ premium.

Justin