Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora market watch, for discussion and to help those searching! - Page 132 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora market watch, for discussion and to help those searching!

Colin G

Bell and Colvill I think do a mix of buying a warranty and underwriting the smaller items themselves. 

I had several claims which B&C fixed. I had no involvement as to who paid for the repairs. I suspect the faulty rear camera was a warranty claim and the minor cheaper stuff they just fixed.

B&C have a different business model to most dealers, it should be said. In a good way. 

Justin 

Ah, but @LotusLeftLotusRightin your earlier years the average car had a life span of around 8 years, if Japanese, Italian or British (Triumph/Leyland mainly) it would have rotten away in 8 years to just a pile of dust anyway!

I would not "expect" a comprehensive warranty on an 8 year+ old car. I would expect if I was paying the fair price to a dealer for the car to be as described, and to have been checked over and any faults found fixed prior to sale. However, there are just too many stories, of independents and main dealers were at best the car gets a quick wash and is then proclaimed as being an immaculate example of the marque, much treasured by its previous lady owner (having seen how a lot of them drive and park I'd run a mile and most of them don't even know what a service is - they confuse that with putting petrol/diesel in).  However, thankfully we have good consumer laws these days and so if you have been sold a heap of a junk you can get recompense outside of a warranty. And always worth putting the deposit for the car on your credit card too for even more protection in case things go "tits up" - (as an aside, never really understood why that phrase was used for something bad, I mean, better than them sagging into the breakfast porridge!).

I'd expect any decent "dealer" to stand by their car (themselves or through a warranty they provide) for 30, 60 preferably 90 days. Some do. I believe for instance that Jon Seal "self warrants" his cars - so whilst you may get less in px/trade from him as a seller, you certainly get a good deal as a buyer (or so I have been told!). Might not be the cheapest but with a self warranty business model he cannot afford to sell to many lemons.

As far as I can see though, SOR means you still buy the car from a dealer (even if they are acting as an agent they are legally responsible) and the dealer will have "priced" into his fee to the seller the cost of repairs, warranty etc. I believe on the average Lotus the SOR fee from a dealer (including Lotus main dealers) would be in the £2-4k region so not inconsiderable and definitely worth their while as they do not have cash tied up (or probably on finance) in that desirable stock item.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

When I sold my last car through SOR I just agreed with the dealer how much I wanted to get for the car and then they were free to price it as they saw fit, so I don’t know what their final margin would have been as I don’t know what deal they agreed with their customer. But the key here is that it was “their” customer not mine, so that customer would have all the rights they would normally get from buying any used car from a VAT registered trader - in fact I doubt the customer was even aware that the car was on SOR.

My understanding is that any VAT registered trader has to give a minimum 3 months warranty on any used vehicle they sell. SOR or not.

On 21/12/2020 at 16:09, AdeMorton said:

Hi, new to the forum and hopefully soon a new Evora driver... does anyone know much about this car:

https://www.pjslotus.co.uk/lotus-evora

Ive had a test drive, really liked it, new clutch is great, the car seems in great condition, just a few minor niggles like the satnav doesn't work, which doesn't bother me too much... its being sold by pjs on behalf of a customer so doesn't come with any warranties but they vouched for it in terms of its condition.   We've agreed a price but I'm just a bit curious as to why it hasn't been bought yet as they've had it since the summer I think? Any info greatly appreciated...

Thanks, 

I drove this car in August - it was listed as a much higher price then (£28995 maybe?). Decent history and essentially a sound car but a few things put me off - long ratio gearbox was the primary one. Just stole so much of the car's mid range urge. Wasn't quite as tidy as it needed to be for the price (interior - pass airbag etc, scuffs, exterior - paintwork, as you say the ICE didn't work) and I just didn't get the FEEL I want to get when I view something that tells me it's the one for me. 

Assuming that you've agreed a price in the £25k region for the car then all of that is par for the course and all good. It was just a problem at £29k. Defo follow up the other member who'd seen the car though to get their thoughts. 

Thanks for the info... yes, the other member has sent me his thoughts as well... just mulling it all over. I'm new to Lotus, new to the Evora so starting to think that a car from a reputable dealer with some warranty might be best for me until I get to know the car a bit better. Equally, I don't want to be too fussy, I think I can get bogged down in the detail while forgetting what a great car it actually is. I'm going to spend a few weeks trying to think about other things and start again in the New Year... thanks again, appreciate the response...

• Like 2

Quite an interesting ad on eBay at the moment:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174572610956

I imagine this has been discussed somewhere on the forum before, but this was the first I'd heard of the 414E.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/lotus/evora/first-drives/lotus-evora-414e-hybrid

• Gold FFM

I'm surprised that Lotus are not buying back the 414E for the factory museum. At £80k it seems to be an absolute bargain. I should think that an EV conversion for the Evora would be possibly in that region if you take into account buying a donor car as well. Plus with the 414E you get the range extender too.

Edited by EuropaSman
  • Like 1

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

image.png.9db97d94b90c8d44f75911ca24efff36.png

err Lotus sold it because it was no use to them.

It's also of no use as a road car unless you are an electronics/energy engineer. No one is going to service it for you.

Worth every penny of " insert static display worth here"

4 hours ago, EuropaSman said:

I'm surprised that Lotus are not buying back the 414E for the factory museum. At £80k it seems to be an absolute bargain. 

Unfortunately, there would appear to be a bit more history to the situation:

Whoever specced that at the factory, must’ve taken their brave pills that day!😳 Reminds me of Sepang Bronze that some of the BMW Z4M’s were specced in, which command quite a premium now. So looks like someone has gone with the same Premium type thinking. I like it - not enough to own....but I like it😎

9F92B7E2-B0E2-4CC7-B385-86987C7F4701.jpeg

A749FE47-A059-42E8-8948-21796D92FDC3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Seems slightly copycat to me but it does look nice but ultimately I wouldn’t buy it in that colour.

I still think the Evora looks better with a twin exhaust at the back and the lettering is really unbalanced at the back, needs to be lower and I would prefer raised lettering on this model, it’s plusher and fits the GT410 look, the sport can have the stickers 😃

• Like 1

I think in the flesh, in the sun, that exterior colour would look superb and seem to recall seeing a similar one in the US and the exterior colour looked amazing in their shots. Can't find the bloody pictures though

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

Is it me or does this LHD Turbo Esprit advertised on the Car & Classic website at the moment look like it's brown metallic (or is it just bad lighting)?

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1291675

1930936452_BrownEsprit25.jpg.7dda97ef53793aa4321d86ccf52d2b0f.jpg

The Esprit brown looks like a darker shade (naff 007 decals though IMHO). I like the brown Evora too, but I wonder how easy it would be to move it on in the 2nd hand market. I think it's safe to say it's a Marmite colour (ooh there's a pun there!).

Fire Red metallic would have been a far better choice (with black leather/silver stitching).

I'm also with Techyd. The LOTUS decal on the rear transom is set too high. It needs to be lower down; back where it was on the S1, 400 & 410 Sport. Personally, for the GT look I'd also get rid of the shark fins too 🤓.

• Like 1

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

image.png.9db97d94b90c8d44f75911ca24efff36.png

Looks lovely but in my very humble opinion the price is a tad optimistic given @Barrykearley's NA of a similar vintage, spec and less miles went only last week for £25k I believe.

I got a cracking px deal on my Evora NA through Silverstone when I upgraded to my Sport 410. Might be worth a look see.

However, looks in great condition and good luck with the sale.

• Like 1

The small print.

• Gold FFM

It did Indeed @C8RKH. Sold swiftly as well - but it was priced aggressively to move the car on - and had I not had a great deal when I bought it - for sure it would have been up for more. Unbelievably two people still umm’d and arr’d over the car before the chap whom bought it. That stunned me frankly - it should without doubt have sold to the first person to see it. 
There is a LE at silverstone for £30k and frankly that’s what the competition was. 

Only here once