Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coronavirus - Page 44 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Coronavirus

Barrykearley

42 minutes ago, gregs24 said:

Airlines worth a punt as they are very cheap. IAG and Ryanair have shed loads of cash reserves.

IAG - yes, right shower of shits.  Send their crew on a 9 day Heathrow trip to the far east - will need 6/7 days self isolated in their bedrooms (their room key is a one use only key so once in they are in).  If they need food it's room service and they get charged an extortionate fee and a "tray charge" - BA can't even cover that for them, so out of their own pocket (they are there at the airlines request) they are paying extortionate costs for shit room service food and have to pay the tray charge too, so they are going to have to argue with the hotel about it on check-out. So several days self-isolation, thousands of miles from home, confined to a hotel room so limited facilities or leave the room, and little support practically for them and also what about their mental health/well being..

But hey, all's good, IAG said it had £9bn in the bank, probably because they don't give a flying fig about their front line staff.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

2 hours ago, andydclements said:

That's it, there is however a problem. There's a fear that the immunity doesn't last long, as there are claims of re-infection in people who have supposedly recovered. 

Yes, I have heard that mentioned too. Or it could be that people have the anti bodies to one particular strain and are immune to that then they get infected by a second strain / mutation.

Also, if you have been infected and think that you are now "immune" you should still continue to practice safe hygiene and wash your hands regularly. If you touch a surface that has the virus and then you touch something else then the virus will be transmitted to that second surface, even if you are "immune".

35 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

IAG - yes, right shower of shits.  Send their crew on a 9 day Heathrow trip to the far east - will need 6/7 days self isolated in their bedrooms (their room key is a one use only key so once in they are in).  If they need food it's room service and they get charged an extortionate fee and a "tray charge" - BA can't even cover that for them, so out of their own pocket (they are there at the airlines request) they are paying extortionate costs for shit room service food and have to pay the tray charge too, so they are going to have to argue with the hotel about it on check-out. So several days self-isolation, thousands of miles from home, confined to a hotel room so limited facilities or leave the room, and little support practically for them and also what about their mental health/well being..

But hey, all's good, IAG said it had £9bn in the bank, probably because they don't give a flying fig about their front line staff.

The question was originally about where to invest. Nothing about how they treat staff or ethics.

It's all very well being nice - Flybe were lovely to their staff - but the airline industry is dog eat dog and spit out the bones

Yup, and all I was doing was just commenting on what a shower of shits they can be.  It's up to you or anybody else who you/they invest in.

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

3 hours ago, andydclements said:

That's it, there is however a problem. There's a fear that the immunity doesn't last long, as there are claims of re-infection in people who have supposedly recovered. 

That is what Ive been wondering about, they keep saying people will be able to go back to work with no fear if they test positive for anti bodies. But people get reoccurring Common Cold, and the talk of a vaccination, isn't HIV a virus? no vaccine for that.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Here in DK, the primi minister today spoke to the nation on her weekly press meet. SHe said, that if, only if, the danes are keeping all rules to the comma, and we see a slow raising and falling curve of infected, hospitalised and dead, will she veeeeery slowly open up Denmark again after Easter. There was mentioning of stricter lock down if not, and also mentioning of everyone going into three shifts at all work places, schools etc, to minimise new contamination. Meanwhile, she said, there are going to be many more ill and dead, as it have to turn around at a slow pace to keep it under some sort of control in relation to our hospital capacity, of which we have now used 10-11%.

We'll see.

Kind regards,

Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

27 minutes ago, red vtec said:

That is what Ive been wondering about, they keep saying people will be able to go back to work with no fear if they test positive for anti bodies. But people get reoccurring Common Cold, and the talk of a vaccination, isn't HIV a virus? no vaccine for that.

No vaccine yet. Apparently Covid-19 has shown little tendency to mutate so I’m guessing once you have the antibodies then, hopefully, you will remain resistant to it. 

• Like 1

I think the common cold mutates very rapidly, so you may be immune to a variant, but just weeks later another slightly different strain could come along and be different enough that the immunity you have to the earlier one is no good for the next. Given the common cold isn't generally lethal, it's not a high priority to develop an immunisation programme, esp when that one could be out-date soon after.

HIV, and others, there is never any guarantee of an immunisation treatment, but its' one of those where given enough time money etc the chances are they will find a way.

SARS-COV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19 already has two strains, so that may explain those possible re-infections, but if it does then that means 2x immunisation treatments needed, or at least something for the worse of the two.

• Like 1

On 29/03/2020 at 16:17, scotty435 said:

Time for the world to pull together and not taking cheap shots at the Chinese. Like Tom Kilner says new diseases happen anywhere from time to time and cheap air travel as sadly led to this one getting us to where we are today.

Don't be an ostrich..

21 minutes ago, esprit22 said:

Don't be an ostrich..

Obviously you don’t understand the rhetoric you use and the potential damage it can  have on others . Goodnight 

2 hours ago, andydclements said:

I think the common cold mutates very rapidly, so you may be immune to a variant, but just weeks later another slightly different strain could come along and be different enough that the immunity you have to the earlier one is no good for the next. Given the common cold isn't generally lethal, it's not a high priority to develop an immunisation programme, esp when that one could be out-date soon after.

HIV, and others, there is never any guarantee of an immunisation treatment, but its' one of those where given enough time money etc the chances are they will find a way.

SARS-COV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19 already has two strains, so that may explain those possible re-infections, but if it does then that means 2x immunisation treatments needed, or at least something for the worse of the two.

News report last night in Australia they have identified 100 mutations of the virus and as for reinfections it has been reported it may be people with the virus reoccurring as sometimes happens with a cold, so once you develop the anti bodies your immune , I just hope thats not fake news, early days

• Gold FFM

I am not a doctor, but I thought colds were bacterial. No vaccine. This is why you can get repeats.

Viruses. Antibodies from infection or antibodies via vaccination. As for infection, I asked that very question of my GP last night. It is possible to get infected again, but it would be from a mutation. Not The original virus. I don’t know how antibodies to the original virus would fare against mutations. That is a question for a person a lot smarter than me. 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

I did.

For that very reason. 

• Haha 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

I need to sorn the Esprit - just realised it’s on monthly tax 🤪 - thanks for the prompting which made me look

Only here once

Well that was interesting - just went out for the first time in several weeks as have exceeded the quarantine period and feeling fine. It seems business as usual for our area, lots of cars on the valley road, even more cyclists (busier than usual) and after picking up some farm supplies popped into the Co-op - do the mums with kids actually know what 2 meters is? the amount of time they came within a foot of me was ridiculous. Anyone else having similar experiences?

Where have all the chickens gone? Every time the wife has been into the supermarket, there’s none to be seen. Have they all gone on holiday, or something? Or have they just been culled, because there’s very few eggs to be had anywhere, either.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
41 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Where have all the chickens gone? Every time the wife has been into the supermarket, there’s none to be seen. Have they all gone on holiday, or something? Or have they just been culled, because there’s very few eggs to be had anywhere, either.

Ian have you tried the local butcher? Ours has literally everything apart from dried cure bacon. Ring them up they put it all in a bag and a time to pick it up. I agree there is nothing in the supermarkets and i am not getting up 6am to queue. Worth a try

11 hours ago, au-yt said:

That's why I'm sticking to MEAT!!!

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

I reckon around this way, stocks are getting bck to normal (North Yorks).   About the only thing I can't get off the shelf is any sort of flour.  Having said that, any sort of home delivery is impossible, so I have to go to the shops for supplies.   Agree with above, use your local butcher, he will even have ketchup etc...  

10 minutes ago, Dan E said:

Ian have you tried the local butcher? Ours has literally everything apart from dried cure bacon. Ring them up they put it all in a bag and a time to pick it up. I agree there is nothing in the supermarkets and i am not getting up 6am to queue. Worth a try

Pfffft. Only posh people have a local butcher. Closest thing we have is McDonalds. I bet you even have a 'little man' that does stuff around the manor.

Margate Exotics.