Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tyres again (sorry) - go with the obvious choice or........... - Page 8 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Tyres again (sorry) - go with the obvious choice or...........

• Gold FFM
10 minutes ago, electro_boy said:

@Dan E, Echo what Bibs has said.   Mich PS 4S is one the best all round tyre you can buy for a high performance road car.  I use the standard non-manufactuer specific version of the PS 4S 

https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/michelin/pilot-sport-4-s/285-30-20-99-y-xl-pilot-sport-4-s?id=3528707102508

I like that one as it is cheaper and I can get a £50 Asda voucher and I have never been to Asda in my life 😀

16 hours ago, Dan E said:

I like that one as it is cheaper and I can get a £50 Asda voucher and I have never been to Asda in my life 😀

There is one in Mottingham though! :lol:

• Haha 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• 5 months later...

Anyone had experience from moving from PS4s to Ps5 ? 
my rear tyres are getting to 3mm and soon to need changing, PS4s are more expensive than pS5 wondering if the change is worth it? 

The PS4S is currently Michelin’s highest performing UHP summer road tyre. 

The PS5 is intended for hot hatches etc.

You decide. 

(FYI, the PS5S hasn’t been released to the aftermarket yet). 

• Like 1

I replaced my rear PS4S tyres with PS5s mainly due to price difference and availability, and wish I hadn’t!  Grip and handling are fine but the 5s have hardly any curb protection and visually you can see that the rims stick out more than the tyres making them very vulnerable to pot hole edges etc. I’ll be changing back to 4S or possibly try the Goodyears.

• Like 1

I am having a go with the Continental Sport Contact 7s.

18s on the front and 19s on the rear. £500 fitted from Black Circles and no problems getting hold of them.

I don't do track days so couldn't tell you if they are better or worse than the Pirellis that were on.

The Pirellis on the rear were running out of tread and on the front there was plenty of tread but they were about 8 years old.

@Cdm2018 I think if I was in your position I would want matching tyres on the front and back of the Evora, even for purely aesthetic reasons. If you have recently fitted the Michelins to the front it would probably make sense to get the same for the rears.

• Thanks 1

Agree with @Bravo73.  The PS5 is more of a "normal" car tyre ie less orientated for sports cars.   PS4S is still the best Michelin tyre for a daily driven sports car.  Has a very good balance in terms of comfort, sporty handling and good grip in dry and wet conditions.

In fact the Mich PS4S is prob still the best tyre for daily driven sports car regardless of brand.   I think the others, Goodyear, Conti etc ... offer more in terms of sporty handling and lend themselves better for a Sunday special drive car or something used occasionally on the track.   but for daily on road use I think the PS4S still has best compromise.

Edited by electro_boy
  • Like 1

On 21/07/2024 at 10:56, Cdm2018 said:

There’s a £30-40 difference per wheel between Michelin v Conti 7 but as I have PS4’s on front I am going to have to stick with PS4s? 

Yes. Always do so !

4 Michelin PS4S or 4 Conti Sport 7 but never a mix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There was a period when the PS4S wasn't available in front and rear for the early Evora (at least I thought so as I did end up with Conti 7 on the back!).

Need new rears again so pleased to see that the PS4S are available for both ends... since my fronts are still OK.  Helpful thread 🙂

• 2 months later...
  • Gold FFM
On 22/07/2024 at 00:36, mg4lotus said:

@Cdm2018 I think if I was in your position I would want matching tyres on the front and back of the Evora, even for purely aesthetic reasons. If you have recently fitted the Michelins to the front it would probably make sense to get the same for the rears.

I need to replace the front Pirelli P Zeros (rears are also P Zeros but younger and lots of tread left). Having read the whole thread, I'm leaning towards Michelin pilot sport 4s or continental contact 7s. 

Apart from aesthetics, any other issues running Michelin/Contis on the front and Pirellis on the back? Ultimately I'd like to move to a comfier, touring set up with good wet grip, low noise.

I will not be doing track days and I'm a 6/10ths lazy touring style driver.

Thanks 

30 minutes ago, Kilmany said:

I will not be doing track days and I'm a 6/10ths lazy touring style driver.

If you plan on using your car all year round, you might be better off with a set of Michelin CrossClimates:

https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/tyres/michelin-crossclimate-2

• Like 1

I ran these on my daily for 4 or 5 years, great when new but they get damgerous when theyre at the 3mm mark! Very unpredictable 

I have fitted conti 7s to my evora after buying it and I am very pleased with them.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Bravo73 said:

If you plan on using your car all year round, you might be better off with a set of Michelin CrossClimates:

https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/tyres/michelin-crossclimate-2

Thanks for the suggestion but I had Cross Climates on a Subaru Legacy and a Nissan Micra. They were good on the Legacy but they made the back end of the Micra twitchy in the wet. Plus they were noisy on both cars and made the mpg worse. I'll get them again but for the Outback I now run as the family wagon.

Ideally I'm after summer tyres that are really good in the wet and are comfort orientated rather than ultimate grip.

If you are not doing track days or racing and your driving is not pushing the limits, any of the well known names will be good (Cup 2s are for the track, right?), look for the cheapest. Your driving sounds similar to mine and I went for the Conti Sport Contact 7 from BlackCircles. Four tyres fitted at a local tyre garage for about £500. 18/19 wheels.

• Thanks 1

• Gold FFM

Blackcircles have the Michelin PS for £176, Contis for £155 and Yokohama Advan Fleva (weird names!) for £150.

The Yokohamas have the same wet grip rating as the Contis and Michelins but 5Db less noise.  I'm tempted.  I saw on Seloc that some Evora owners use Yokos too.

31 minutes ago, mg4lotus said:

Your driving sounds similar to mine and I went for the Conti Sport Contact 7 from BlackCircles. Four tyres fitted at a local tyre garage for about £500. 18/19 wheels.

For the type of driving outlined, I suspect that any UHP tyre will be a bit of a waste (and will be compromised with regard to wet grip etc). This would be the first place that I would start looking in order to find my ideal tyre:

https://www.tyrereviews.com

(He also does lots of very detailed YouTube vids). 

My guess is that a set of Michelin PS5 would suit you. 

• Thanks 1

Very happy with my Michelin Pilot Sport 4S so far. After 2000 spirited miles, tread depth as follows

fronts: inside 7mm, middle 8mm, outside 8mm

rears: inside 6mm, middle 7mm, outside 7mm

Above data same on both sides.

OEM Pirellis were down to the canvas after <5000 miles.

• Thanks 1

I might as well ask for the tyres my car came from the previous owner, as they have been changed recently and are still in great condition - they are Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 275/30R20 97Y and 235/35/19 91Y.

Anyone has experience with them?

For Dubai climate (hot most year round and very seldom rain conditions, mostly dry 99% of the time) and the little I have so far used the car they seem sticky and playful 😈 also good sidewall to protect the rim edges

It is this 050+ model to be exact:

https://www.pitstoparabia.com/en/tyres/brands/dunlop/sp-sport-maxx-050+