Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Emira - Page 20 - Emira Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Emira

au-yt

• Gold FFM

Is that reliably tested to 450bhp+ over 100,000 miles+?

You could probably shove it on a dyno at 600bhp and not grenade it as long as you turn it off quickly enough...

2 hours ago, Vipers said:

Not sure if already mentioned by anyone else but just got my copy of Evo delivered with a nice Emira cover and an 8 page spread so hope to learn some more info from that.

You'll learn that the Porsche won. :(

5 minutes ago, TdM said:

Is that reliably tested to 450bhp+ over 100,000 miles+?

You could probably shove it on a dyno at 600bhp and not grenade it as long as you turn it off quickly enough...

Go and watch the Lotus Guru video's. Pretty sure that is where I learnt it and he worked for Lotus so should know his shit, as opposed to someone like us who know nothing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

1 hour ago, electro_boy said:

This was mentioned in the live launch.  The manual shifter was purposefully moved higher and closer to the steering wheel to give a more race car feel.

Yes, and it's quite nice to have the gearstick higher. I like it in the Esprit too. It makes much more sense than when it's very low on the floor.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

You'll learn that the Porsche won. :(

On what basis?

Was the Emira even driven?

I won't get the mag. Definitely not know. :)

• Like 1

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

My phone has been blowing up with the Emira today, all over my Facebook, YouTube, forums. 

It’s getting quite hard to resist placing a deposit! I still think the best move is to find an Evora though 

Ah, that JPS..    I had one.  

Er, as a scalextric car and a large metal model. God I love it.  

Well done Lotus. Like it a lot. Been playing with the configurator and surprised myself. First thing that had to go was those hideous bi-colour wheels. Basic silver alloys. Wow, so much better. Nimbus Grey. Didn't think I would go for that. Nothing else. No black pack. AMG. A beauty for £60k.

• Like 1

Funny how we are al different. I love those wheels!  Not black, not silver - right in the middle. 

Saying that - I am torn between those and the black ultra-lightweight.

Surprised if the AMG unit incl gearbox costs Lotus less than the older V6 unit with gearbox.  Intrigued what drivetrain will make up the £60k base car. 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

• Gold FFM
7 hours ago, IwantOne said:

First post. Signed up because I just love the design of the Emira. I always thought the Elise was cool (and cute) though I never really wanted one (or any other Lotus) mostly because they are a bit too hardcore for me.

As I said I think the car looks amazing. Really clean lines and a nice shape. I think this is the kind of design that will still look good 20 years from now.

I don't understand why some people complain about the power. 360-400hpnos more than enough. Maybe not on the track but I'm happy Lotus isn't joining the insane horsepower race. It's just not necessary. There's not a lot of fun in driving on the road if pressing the loud pedal for 4 seconds puts you at twice the allowed speed on most roads (at least where I live).

I was also very surprised with the price that was announced. I'm not that rich but the announced price of around 60.000 pounds is within my reach.

Unfortunately it seems the v6 (the one I'd want, not so much because of the engine but the manual gearbox), is going to be way more expensive.

I mean it's understandable, both the 4pot and v6 are very comparable to the cayman and cayman gts 4.0 so why not price it that way? It's not like there is much choice when you want a "affordable" mid engine sportscar.

That said, I'm disappointed the 4pot won't have a manual available. I know 90+% of the potential buyers won't buy a manual but still.

It also makes me wonder about the value proposition a bit. The base model I think is good value for money (apart from the lack of a manual) if it's truly priced like a base cayman. I can see people buying it over the Porsche for the looks. But the v6? Looks like it will cost (significantly) more than the cayman gts 4.0 and at that point I think a lot of people will get the Porsche because it's a Porsche and you get a 911 engine and not Toyota engine that has been around forever. This isn't a dig at Lotus but just the way a lot of people think. If they want to sell 5000 a year I think it's needs something over the Cayman otherwise a lot of people will just pick the more well known badge (and the fact they can get in seviced at a lot more places).

PS. I wonder what the pricing will be like outside the UK. I just looked up the pricing for the Elise, Exige and evora in my location and even the Elise is close in price to what the Emira is supposed to cost for the base model. The Elise costs more than a base Cayman... The Exige and evora are actually over 85.000 pounds, much more than what the Cayman 4.0 goes for (72.000 pounds).

Anyway I can't wait to a Emira in the flesh. The design team can be proud for creating something so beautiful.

Welcome to TLF. :welcome:

You should duck over to the Introduction area and say hi in there as well.

Any questions or issues with using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Question is, how heavy is the AMG engine with DSG compared to the Toyota V6 plus gearbox? Could be 50kg or more lighter ??

Can only help with handling as that V6 lump always sat quite high up in the Evora, and assume similar in the Emira ?

As for the power rating 360 & 400bhpish still seem suspicious to me since they clearly showed in full screen ~355 and then... ~480 on another view the second after. That can't be a mistake in full screen, can it?

https://youtu.be/x5Ghs-I6Qlk?t=352

https://youtu.be/x5Ghs-I6Qlk?t=353

I had seen the 480 rating on a smaller view yesterday but missed this one in full screen. That can't be a mistake.

My guess the 360-400bhp range Gavan Kershaw is referring to is only for the AMG I4 engine. I may have missed something as I am not a native English speaker obviously

Henry: [speaking of the AMG engine and its known capability], and then

Gavan: the range for the Emira [for this engine?] will be between 360 and 400 so it's not too different [from what we already know from the AMG engine?]

https://youtu.be/F1H_Wd1tN-A?t=190

So really I think the V6 will be capable of 480bhpish.

Not that it makes a difference for me since the CO2 tax kills any affordable ICE sports car here ... :cry:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Giniw said:

really I think the V6 will be capable of 480bhpish

I recall manual gearbox held back power for the V6 Toyota - not sure if that is correct and if so, still the case.

Justin