Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tyre shine... Dangerous stuff? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Tyre shine... Dangerous stuff?

• Gold FFM

Had my car valeted, they did a great job but put shine on the tyre wall and first inch or two of the tread. Onto a busy roundabout on a steady throttle *in traffic* maybe doing 25-30mph and I'm into what I'm sure looked like a very impressive show-off drift.

I am assuming it was down to the tyre shine as conditions are good, I wasn't going quickly, as I say, steady throttle, no crazy weight transfer. I'm not inexperienced when it comes to oversteer so caught it fine but I wasn't expecting it so it got further around than you would appreciate on a busy roundabout!

I think I'm going to add 'no tyre shine' to my request on top of 'no air freshener'. First time the car has done something really unexpected!

• Gold FFM

Thing is, I've been driving said summer tyres throughout winter sometimes significantly more enthusiastically on significantly colder and more challenging roads and whilst they certainly unstick if provoked it's in predictable circumstances and under reasonable load.

Today isn't that cold, certainly above what I would deem summer the problems, I wasn't putting anywhere near enough load through to upset the tyres in those conditions and it wasn't a weight transition or anything. It was practically diving miss daisy then... Oversteer for days.

Was it a professional valet or was it your local hand car wash? It's not unknown for the latter to brush on a diesel based solution to make tyres look shiny....

Dave.

• Gold FFM

Thanks Greg. It was only at the start of the drive I had a moment so I'm still suspicious of the shine considering the weird loss of grip.

Suppose it can't be proven what caused it but it was very strange!

• Like 1

That tire shine can DEFINITELY cause some moments like that, no matter the weather.  Even if it is only on the very edge of the tread where it meets the sidewall, it is so incredibly slick.  When I used to use it years ago on my Mitsubishi Evo, the first couple of corners were always pretty exciting!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • Gold FFM

Resurrecting this one to report further experimentation. I usually tell the valet guys not to use tyre shine on my car. I used a new company recently, due to moving area. Forgot to tell them not to shine the tyres. First enthusiastic roundabout post clean, front feels looser than usual and then rear steps out under power much more easily than usual. 

No matter what anyone says, tyre shine is definitely detrimental to grip, at least if you are pushing on and therefore relying more on the outside of the contact patch. 

Admittedly, it makes it quite good fun, but I'll be going back to asking valet companies not to shine the tyres.

• Gold FFM

Personally, never had that problem. I am careful not to get it on the tread though. I think car wash places just brush it on.

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

Sincere apology to any who took offense, however minor, at my comment. Just yielded to an impulse to kick the hornets' nest in a midsummer mood of self indulgence.

Cheers 

2 hours ago, drdoom said:

not some greasy thing just extracted from a baker's oven

Personally, I think it makes the tyres look like a used condom, all that shiny rubber.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Tyre shine stuff also take away the 'velvet' effect that you can find on the Sidewall of some Michelin tyres.

As it reflects the light instead of absorbing it. So it looks all shiny and boring 😜

On car shows like Goodwood or Paris, etc... We keep an eye on this as some Car Makers are really aware of this and some not.

Just a cosmetic thing here but hey.

• Like 1

I wash my own car though and have stayed away from drive through car handwashes since in my opinion they ruined the decals on my Renault Trophy.  I don’t trust the chemicals they use, nor the rags, and the way they use the pressure jet lance just makes me wince.

It does mean that my car is not always shiny but I don’t have a single swirl mark on an all black car.

As for tyre shine - I must say I do like it - I think it accentuates the wheels and red calipers on an all black car with black wheels, and usually use it when I’ve also treated the black plastic and rubber parts with auto glum gel.  

It’s like many things a matter of personal taste.  I use the “tyre foam” spray and have done for years with no problem.  I also used to use black boot polish in the 80s, but that was for my school shoes and dubbin on my football boots.  Ah the memories!

• Gold FFM

I have said this before, never use a hand car wash, all that grit in the things they clean it with makes me shudder, they also, in our local one,  use patio cleaner to clean the wheels, I know this as i took a hire van in for a wash after we had ruined it on site and actually watched them pouring it into the sprayer. 

• Haha 1

I'm sure there are some out there that use the proper products and care, but they seem hard to find. And in the end it's still a business so the less time and money they spend on a car, the more profit they can make. They seem very popular though, I pass 2 such places between my girlfriend's and the Workshop, always busy. But so is the mechanised car wash around the corner, people just don't want to spend the time to wash their cars themselves. Which I can understand up to a point, as many will have or at least think they have better things to do pass their time (possible earning more than they spend on the wash).

I prefer to make the effort myself but must admit it doesn't happen often enough. So I'm often driving an unwashed car :blush:, especially with all the rain we've been having.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.