Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Is electric really the answer? - Page 60 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Is electric really the answer?

2 hours ago, Kimbers said:

I think I posted before that BP has made a commitment to an "Extensive Hydrogen refueling infrastructure" by 2030.

The reason is extensively because it is not viable at all, to have commercial EV's. Many of the Smaller van manufacturers are suffering from this right now. For example the Peugeot e-Expert has a range of 80 miles when loaded. And to do just those 80 miles it loses quarter of a ton of payload.

Imagine a 44 ton truck as an EV! Totally useless and the cost?????

So Hydrogen is the only option unless they keep ICE engines. 

To Convert to Hydrogen they need the infrastructure which has to be there or we all starve or grow our own food in window boxes. Now the only logical conclusion here is people/car makers are going to start saying "We have the Infrastructure, it's easier, cheaper to design, make and run and more useable, lets make Hydrogen cars".

The issue is then that currently the Govt's thinking is about 10 years behind car design and they haven't even considered Commercials! That's why Vertu's top man is saying there will be changes in Govt thinking over the next few years.

And I think at that time everyone here should vote for me.

Kimbers, the head of the new "Con" party 🤣

2 hours ago, Rambo said:

Kimbers, the head of the new "Con" party 🤣

the new Common Sense Party More like!

• Like 2

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

It's not CO2 free, that's for sure. There may be no CO2 tailpipe emissions, but production of aluminium is known to be very energy intensive. And even if they claim to use only 'green' energy (which as I understand it is quite difficult for aliminium and metal production in general), that does imply more other means will be needed to cover the total energy demand.

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

2 hours ago, Escape said:

It's not CO2 free, that's for sure. 

A whole new can of worms I know but the whole carbon neutral nonsense is based on the premise that CO2 is bad for our environment...something I do not accept for one second.

If you do not accept CO2 acts as a greenhouse gas it just shows how much BS this whole money grabbing scheme is.

• Like 1

I don't refute the science that CO2 acts as a greenhouse gas, with the emphasis on 'A', as there are clearly others that have more effect (like CH4).

What does bother me greatly, is the fact that CO2 seems to be all that matters. Never mind all the other environmental impacts, as long as we can claim low CO2 it means we're green. 😞 If a fraction of the efforts to reduce CO2 would be spent on reforestation etc, our little pile of dirt would be a far better place!

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM
On 25/10/2023 at 17:47, mg4lotus said:

I think you have to ask why we don't have Aluminium batteries in our mobile phones. If it works, it would surely have already been done. We've been able to get hold of aluminium for a long time.

I think the main reason would be that they are not rechargeable and need to be swapped and recycled.

Mind you, it would depend on how long they would last, I suppose. 

Did not know that EV's were going to be made in the frozen north....ie Scotland

All-electric 4x4 manufacturer Munro Vehicles, Scotland’s only volume car maker, has disclosed it has secured a two-year customer pipeline worth £68 million.

https://www.am-online.com/news/manufacturer/2023/11/02/first-munro-electric-4x4-leaves-production-line-with-68m-orderbook

• Like 1

I think many EV makers are about to get some nasty shocks (Pun intended). 

I spent all last night hob nobbing with the great and good of the Fleet Industry in London and the general consensus was no one wants them anymore. One large company bought 5000 in January and is about to take a bath to the tune of £50 million in losses when they return in Jan 24.

Even CAP, the valuation system for the industry, said they are just "reflecting" the desirability of EV's by dropping them 40% since January.

The only people pushing it is the Motoring press and we all know why the Press is pushing them, cause they are mouth pieces for the Govt.

One last interesting thing I was told by the organisers. The only reason EV sales look bouyant is because of the Fleet market where people doing virtually no miles have done Salary sacrifice to get them and avoid paying tax. They admitted that Retail sales are on their arse and even more importantly, when all these Fleet EV's come back the market will be awash with cars no one can sell and used values will again take an absolute pasting!

My recommendation. Don't buy an EV if you were considering it, until 2025 when the market is likely to stabilise.

• Like 2

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

I was chatting to a friend of mine yesterday who moves lots of new cars round for dealerships. Normally he's moving several EVs a week between dealers for customers but over the last few weeks it's dropped off a cliff.

From the conversations he's had it seems that many people now just don't want them due, in part, to the depreciation and plenty of customers are cancelling their orders. Maybe also related to the government pushing out the dates and a feeling that there's less hurry to change and that better technology/alternatives will come along in the meantime.

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

On 17/10/2023 at 17:42, pete said:

Scotland is now capable of producing 2/3rds of it's power from wind after the completion of the Seagreen offshore wind farm

Yup, when the wind is blowing. Best not to talk about when the eastern sea haars come and land for a week or two at time with no wind.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Also linked to from that page...and says.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article-12699607/electric-car-public-chargers-plunges-counties-England.html

The number of car chargers has fallen in six English counties as the drive towards electric motoring stalls.

There are now fewer public charging points in Gloucestershire, Devon, Kent, Norfolk, West Yorkshire and Tyne and Wear than at the beginning of the summer.

• Like 2