Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora clutch change poll... - Page 4 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora clutch change poll...

Has your Evora had a new clutch (based on wear or age related failure)  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

From prior experience on my old GTV, bite point got higher and on one clutch I also got a grinding noise when pulling away (though it kept working until I got it to the garage). Amusingly that also cost a reasonable amount as most of the front of the car needed to be removed to deal with it.

• 5 months later...

Update on this topic ... 

My LE #14's OE clutch got to just over 50k miles before it started slipping but by careful throttle use and avoidance of the Sport button I got to 53,800 before it went to Hanger111 a few weeks ago. (It's interesting to find out just what corner speed you can carry when 'booting it' at the exit isn't available, very impressive, and does wonders for mpg too.)

Hanger111 did me an upgrade to 400 flywheel, friction and pressure plate as well as renewing anything in that vicinity that would need another another engine out procedure ..  clutch release bearing and adapter sleeve, & crankshaft rear oil seal.

Engine seems to rev more freely when using 'heel & toe' too - is the 400 assembly significantly lighter?

I'd got used to 'minimal contact' on clutch pedal to release it and had a few 'L driver' type stalls early on when I didn't expect the bite point to be in the carpet but I'm now expecting it.

• Like 1

Phil           Leave me alone I know what to do - I think. 

I am already putting together a list for when it goes on mine. 98k km (almost 60k miles):

- thermostat

- water pump

- oil seals

- front and rear engine mounts

- trans rebuild with brass shifter fork pads from MWR, check and fix 4/5th gear issue..

- transmission cables

- clutch master and slave

- potentially even TVS1900 install, if the money permits.

@phil flash how much did you end up paying approximately? Thank you 🙏

4 hours ago, Seb said:

- trans rebuild with brass shifter fork pads from MWR, check and fix 4/5th gear issue..

If you're going down the trans rebuild route, you might as well throw in an LSD while you're at it. 

On 18/11/2022 at 17:10, agentdr8 said:

If you're going down the trans rebuild route, you might as well throw in an LSD while you're at it. 

Why? It has a Bosch Electronic LSD called "Traction Control". Have you switched yours off?

Try driving in this stuff and you'll find it's pretty good.image.thumb.jpeg.ce454452951a12a17aae30c6c550adc5.jpeg

I had a message from another owner which I replied to, so being a lazy git, I'll copy and paste my reply to him here :

They quoted me £3,375 (copy attached) but it came out at £3,893 because I & they added some extras.  Mine had never had the heat insulation wrap around clutch hydraulic pipe that was supposed to be done by dealers as a FOC mod so asked them to do that; 1 belt idler pulley had a "dry hiss & grumble" to it so got replaced; my sail panel was cracked so I took it away to repair it but Hanger111 mentioned later models had a foamstrip giving it support and plastic film for better water sealing so those got added; and my old rear brake pads had grooves in them from the grooves formed on the old discs (due to the disc holes!) and were putting stripes on the new discs I'd fitted so asked them to supply & fit new Feredo rear pads and I'll skim the old pads and keep them as spares.

If you can, time it for when you need new engine and gearbox oil, as they get drained. Rob, their mechanic, has a technique for removing the aircon compressor and hanging it out the way so no disconnecting pipes & recharging is involved. (Lotus schedule involves disconnect & costs of recharging).

Upgrading to 400 flywheel, clutch & pressure plate costs quite a bit more than just renewing LE clutch plate but have no intention to ever sell mine so thought the extra cost, and hopefully, longevity was worthwhile.

Labour cost with VAT is £2160 so a bit extra to delay incurring that again seems a good idea.

Phil

1668624646536_e104634.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/11/2022 at 14:24, phil flash said:

Why? It has a Bosch Electronic LSD called "Traction Control". Have you switched yours off?

Try driving in this stuff and you'll find it's pretty good.

No doubt it works well at keeping you on the road, but an electronic stability program can only do so much; it can't mechanically modulate the amount of power an outside wheel has vs an inside wheel in a turn, since they're both driven from the same driveshaft. While not of the utmost importance, I find the cost relatively low for the added benefits, and what better time to install than if the trans is already being reworked. 

A mechanical LSD must not be entirely useless if Lotus has decided the Emira should come with one. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

This is off topic, but the electronic stability control absolutely can mechanically alter the amount of power being transmitted to a wheel, it's an open diff not a solid one, but it's done in a different way. An open diff will send power down the 'easiest route' therefore if a wheel starts over speeding it will get more power than the wheel with traction. The stability control will apply braking to said wheel which will encourage power back to the wheel with traction 'simulating' an LSD.

Does that replace an LSD? No. The LSD will do a better job in general, provide better drive out of a corner and will also allow for continued controlled overspeed of both rear wheels under certain conditions. You may lose some attack at corner entry but will gain traction and throttle on adjustment on the way out...

• 5 months later...

I’m having to change the clutch on my 2016 400.  Are there any guides out there?  I had a look on YouTube. Do we have service notes anywhere for this?

TIA

Chris

The most current service notes are available from https://vsic.lotuscars.com. There are copies on the various forums, but some may not be the most current. 

Probably won't find any step-by-step guides, but there are a few threads about those that have done it themselves. 

Evora Clutch Replacement DIY | The Lotus Cars Community (lotustalk.com)

2020 Evora GT clutch change | The Lotus Cars Community (lotustalk.com)

• Like 1

My woes with the car go on.

The cynical in me is tempted to say that the poll should now refer to "which clutch do you change to"...

My Evora's clutch has given up...

Under my ownership it was changed back in 2017 to the original spec part for Evora/Evora S, according to DeRoure and part numbers, when I had to replace the fork/selector for 4/5th gear. I have done slightly above 20,000 kms. on this clutch over six years and I am not driving the car that hard...

My dealer made a quote including the same part number but I am dubious to go with the same part again...

What clutch would you go for as a replacement? Is the Evora 400 upgraded enough? Is it worth going for the Komotec part?

Any input/experience from you would be extremely appreciated.

I did 400 clutch and flywheel on my NA at 68,000 miles. Now 80,000 miles or near enough. 28 months in.

Pedal no lighter than before which was annoying. Otherwise fine to date. 

Justin 

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

I'm having to do clutch on my 400 at 34K, but the flywheel has heat marks so probably too much clutch dropping.