Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Petrol ? - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Petrol ?

Bling

Which petrol do people use and o you worry about Ethanol degrading hoses ?

I used to use Esso Synergy Plus/Supreme that had zero ethanol in it, even though it was still badged as E5.

As of 1st September they are introducing ethanol into it.

Do I need to worry about this? Should I use some of those additives from the likes of Castrol that apparently counteract the ethanol ?

What are others doing ?

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I use Shell Vpower in my Esprit which is E5.  I did try a supermarket super unleaded alternative and the car really didn't like it, so won't be doing that again.  Its pricey but worth it IMO (also gets used in the Evora).

• Like 2

use E5 in both MG's and both Lotus' and all the gardening stuff - mowers / quads etc. E10 tends to go off as well after 30 days. Have seen warnings in a agricultural shop to remove E10  from machinery if not used in 30 days. Only use E10 in 'her' RR. 

Have not noticed any difference between Esso E5 and other E5s - but then I don't get out much.

My Lotus and other classics get premium, from differing brands depending on where I am. Both from the big names (Esso, LukOil, BP, ...) as well as the local ones. The Range, forklift, mower etc get E10 and seem to cope just fine, so I'm not inclined to pay extra.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I've run Evora's for 10 years on Tesco Momentum 99Ron - never had an issue, ever, and spark plugs always clean as a whistle etc.

My garage used to warn me off one majors fuel, but cannot remember if it was the BP or Shell premium fuel - it was one of them. Also cannot remember why.... Doh!

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

I use Tesco Momentum 99Ron in all the Esprit's, with a half a bottle of Redex in a full tank every now and again, the carb cars especially love it.

Greenergy (part owned by Tesco) produce Tesco Momentum 99 import and store the same base petroleum, they co-own facilities.

http://greenergy.com/uk/independent 

They produce & distribute ESSO Fuels as well, hence the link with Tesco 

I only use E5 fuel (Tesco Momentum, 99 RON or others, minimum 97 RON) in all my cars and garden equipment.

I've never had any problems with injectors ever (twice a year I add a bottle of injector cleaner to a full tank)

PS if you use E10 in garden equipment ie mowers, chainsaws, strimmers, leaf blowers etc..over the winter you will find them very difficult to start next year so use E5 plus an inhibitor

Thanks for the comments everyone.  I also only use E5 but was worried about the Ethanol attacking the rubber hoses.

Esso Synergy was zero ethanol until 1 September hence asking about proven alternatives but it sounds like no one has had issues with Ethanol on the older cars.

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

Always used V-Power in the S2. Run my old Land Rover and 2003 Alfa as well as garden equipment on E10 with no obvious detrimental effects, so far. I just drain the tanks/ run them dry on the garden stuff at the end of each season.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• Gold FFM

I aim for E5 (usually Shell VPower), but use E10 + Castrol additive if that's all I can get, and don't notice any difference in running. If I have put in E10, I make sure to run through it all asap!

I still think the best solution to avoid problems is very regular usage, the main issues with E10 in my experience are when it's left sitting for weeks.