Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Jacking points - Page 2 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Jacking points

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 05/12/2015 at 12:03, Gravel said:

What sorts of axle stands are people using - I don't fancy chaning a wheel with just a jack under there. My other cars have traditional metal sills, and the axle stands have U-shaped tops. I'm guessing I need something different to go under those aluminium pads on the jacking points...

Joe, try using a box of paper reams or better still do what the factory do and get wooden/compressed pulp 12" cubes made up. Also, you can actually jack the car up from the side, just pad the jack and be accurate where you place it.

• 1 month later...

I have got a pair of Jackpoint stands (http://www.jackpointjackstands.com), they are excellent for being able to lift and secure on an axle stand at the correct point.

I was fortunate to be working alongside a P-car owner so was able to piggy-back onto a group-buy that they organised, but still think they were around the £280 mark. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Has anybody found a way to be able to jack the Evora up so that all 4 corners can be on axle stands?  

Also, how do you get the 2 rear wheels off the ground and on jack stands at the same time?

Thanks,

Before I got my 4 post lift,  I was determined to figure out a way to jack it up and to put it on jack stands without the high cost of something like the JackPoint jack stands. Since I had extra wheel dollies, a spare jack saddle and more than one jack, I thought I could combine them.

So, I took the wheels off the dolly, drilled and tapped the saddle and mounted the dolly onto the saddle. Cost me $0 and was able get the car up onto four stands easily.
(I apparently forgot to take a picture of the car just on the rear jack stand with the jack/wheel dolly set-up removed facepalm.gif )

Since I didn't put my car on stands too often, this worked fine me. Took me about an hour to make, was completely reversible, and it saved me several hundred dollars.

jack 1.JPG

jack 2.JPG

jack 3.JPG

jack 4.JPG

jack 5.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, robington said:

Has anybody found a way to be able to jack the Evora up so that all 4 corners can be on axle stands?  

Also, how do you get the 2 rear wheels off the ground and on jack stands at the same time?

As long as you place the jack in the correct place (ie by the central beam, not near the sill), it is possible to jack both wheels on one side with a single jack. Then you can place jack stands under each of the jacking points. 

And no, you won’t find this procedure in either of the manuals. But I was shown it by one of the Lotus Cup teams. 

• 4 months later...

Howdy guys,

Just double checking I've understood the instructions about jacking the car up correctly.   Here is a pic of the rear jacking point on the passenger side, the blue sticker is pointing directly at a bolt head.

Should the bolt head be in the centre of the jacking head?  I'm concerned about not spreading the load over the jack head and placing it all the bolt and also the jack not being secure as its balancing on the bolt.

or can I place the jack head directly on top of the sticker, so just to the side of the 3 bolts?

Finally am a correct in thinking, lifting the car from the rear jack point will lift both the front and the rear wheels?

thanks all

lotus evora rear jacking point.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Reviving this if I may please - jacking the Evora on one of the rear jack points, will this tend to lift both rear wheels or a rear and the front on the same side?

(I will find out next week, but interesting to know beforehand...🙂)

I thought this would be the case. Suits me well as it will allow me to put a stand on the front. My so called low entry long reach trolley jack will not extend to the front jacking points without raising the body.

I am thinking of maybe getting a pneumatic jack, but their lift, or certainly the less expensive ones are only about 200mm.

On 02/09/2018 at 14:38, Bravo73 said:

As long as you place the jack in the correct place (ie by the central beam, not near the sill), it is possible to jack both wheels on one side with a single jack. Then you can place jack stands under each of the jacking points. 

And no, you won’t find this procedure in either of the manuals. But I was shown it by one of the Lotus Cup teams. 

I assume from this that the aluminium belly plate actually touches the chassis, so that jacking at the right point will not distort the plate?

Where exactly does the chassis run - how far in from the cills?

I have a mid-rise scissor platform that will just slide under the Evora that would be good to use, but I want to be totally sure where the chassis sides run before I go lifting. Does anybody perhaps know the total width of the chassis, and the  width of the individual rails even?

On 12/11/2020 at 21:27, Pacederon said:

I thought this would be the case. Suits me well as it will allow me to put a stand on the front. My so called low entry long reach trolley jack will not extend to the front jacking points without raising the body.

I can get a scissor jack under the fronts without raising the rear. The only difficulty is operating the handle part as the clearance is poor. I also made a pair of ramps out of 3 pieces of chipboard that I can drive the fronts onto, it makes access to the front jacking point easy.

20 minutes ago, exeterjeep said:

I can get a scissor jack under the fronts without raising the rear. The only difficulty is operating the handle part as the clearance is poor. I also made a pair of ramps out of 3 pieces of chipboard that I can drive the fronts onto, it makes access to the front jacking point easy.

I just tried an air bag jack I borrowed, and it is maybe half an inch too high to slide under! 

I see on ebay there are electric scissor jacks that are not expensive - I am tempted to try one out.

32 minutes ago, Pacederon said:

I assume from this that the aluminium belly plate actually touches the chassis, so that jacking at the right point will not distort the plate?

Where exactly does the chassis run - how far in from the cills?

I have a mid-rise scissor platform that will just slide under the Evora that would be good to use, but I want to be totally sure where the chassis sides run before I go lifting. Does anybody perhaps know the total width of the chassis, and the  width of the individual rails even?

I should have done some googling before my post above!

I now see that the central belly plate is part of the chassis and not a pate added on afterwards. In which case, the outer chassis rails must bedirectly above a row of bolts that , in my case, secures the bargeboard? 

In which case, i should be able to use my platform with a wooden rail just in from these bolts?

6_lotusevoraaluminumchassis1.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Pacederon said:

I see on ebay there are electric scissor jacks that are not expensive - I am tempted to try one out.

Just looked at one on ebay (never seen one before) , there were no measurements as to the min height, but it only looks like an ordinary jack with a motor to save winding it. The motor looks higher than the scissor parts.

The places where the jacking points are are clearly marked under the car on the reinforces plates. I have jacked up my previous evora using 2 scissor jacks for the front each side, and also done the rear of my current one.  I once tried jacking up my jeep renegade without checking where it should have been lifted from, it looked ok, but was not and i bent a bit of the underside.

• Gold FFM

I left mine on the drive last month for a few days whilst the two rears went in for a refurb.

FD32C9C3-9B1C-4038-8A2D-36FA6B01F98B.jpeg

And a great time to hamerite the wheel nuts 😊👍

• Like 2

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

10 minutes ago, mayevora said:

I left mine on the drive last month for a few days whilst the two rears went in for a refurb.

FD32C9C3-9B1C-4038-8A2D-36FA6B01F98B.jpeg

And a great time to hamerite the wheel nuts 😊👍

Where did you have your rims done, I had my wife's RR evoque 2 sets done at south west wheel repairs on the matford estate - not far from the driving test place....I also had 4 new tyres fitted there this week, I think they take better care of the rims than most standard tyre fitters.

From your pic and the other one earlier in the thread  it looks like a load of people have had their lotus wheels nicked.