Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Formula One - Page 44 - Motorsport - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Formula One

KAS-118

4 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I suspect it will be the end of my viewing too. I wish Max well as a champion and hope he wins next year "clean". But the circus show that Liberty Media and the FIA are turning this into is a farce.  Masi needs to hold his head in shame for a terrible job and in private should apologise to Toto and Lewis and offer a personal, private, account of why he did what he did and ignored the rule book. Name another sport that just makes the rules up as it goes along?

FIA has been a farce for as long as I have watched. 

Massi has put the sport in the spotlight, and for all the wrong reasons. 

If I was Mercedes or a sponsor of the team I would be absolutely livid that a race result was artificially created. 

Imagine spending hundreds of millions on developing a car only for that to happen.

• Like 1

Its a shame to see the season end this way.  Max is clearly a good driver so to win with this going on has to be heart breaking.

lewis was a real gent considering that the win was taken away based on what I assume to be political reasons. Hats off to Lewis.

jenson - i agree with his statement that team leader should not be able to lobby during the race.  I get it after the race.

• Like 2

All the Best

Greg

4 minutes ago, Greg | ValetPro said:

jenson - i agree with his statement that team leader should not be able to lobby during the race.  I get it after the race.

Yeah, like managers and players harassing the referee in soccer. Not acceptable. Still, all parties have been guilty of it.

This should help them to write a new rule book with clear lines.

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

4 minutes ago, Evotion said:

Yeah, like managers and players harassing the referee in soccer. Not acceptable. Still, all parties have been guilty of it.

This should help them to write a new rule book with clear lines.

Yep it will help them if the choose to look at it.

in fairness i suspect there will alway be decision that race organisers make that team don't like.  even without the lobbying.

so with such a highly charges bunch of people there will alway be controversy.   

All the Best

Greg

Here is the statement from the stewards.
Note the last 2 paras in bold, it appears to state that these are the rules and they weren’t followed but there is a separate rule which allows the race director to control the safety car which may change the rules?

Bizarre! IMO the FIA are guilty of bringing the “sport” in to disrepute. Masi cannot carry on beyond this😠

“At restarts after safety-car periods, lapped cars are normally allowed to pass the leaders and un-lap themselves so they do not interfere with the race.

Masi allowed the drivers between Hamilton and Verstappen to pass them, giving Verstappen a clear run at his rival. But did not do the same to the cars between Verstappen and third-placed Carlos Sainz's Ferrari.

Article 48.12 of the sporting regulations says: "If the clerk of the course considers it safe to do so, and the message 'lapped cars may now overtake' has been sent to all competitors via the official messaging system, any cars that have been lapped by the leader will be required to pass the cars on the lead lap and the safety car."

At the same time, article 48.12 of the sporting regulations says that "once the last lapped car has passed the leader, the safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap". In this case, the race was started at the end of the same lap.

Had both rules been applied in this way, Mercedes argued, Hamilton would have won the race.

The stewards ruled that a separate rule gave Masi the power to control the safety car, which "includes its deployment and withdrawal".

They added: "Although article 48.12 may not have been applied fully, in relation to the safety car returning to the pits at the end of the following lap, article 48.13 overrides that and once the message 'safety car in this lap' has been displayed, it is mandatory to withdraw the safety car at the end of that lap. “

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interestingly mercedes in their appeal wanted the result to be as the previous lap,meaning the race would have ended behind the safety car,one lap early.

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

For a time I was inclined to accept the outcome as honourable, initially thinking it OK that the overtake directions be tweaked in aid of the racing show. Thinking it through more thoroughly I now agree with those who find Masi's conduct disagreeable. His stated positions, correctly in line with the preeminent importance of the Championship not being decided by the authorities, have been rendered hypocritical with the partial overtake ruling. Masi's fingerprints are indelibly imprinted upon the '21 Championship. A counter argument may possibly be made in that LH had been treated kindly in the outcome of the 1st corner incident, therefore MV was rightly entitled to a complimentary leveling up call, not that I see it that way.

Sticky business adjudicating these sporting exercises. 

FIA President Jean-Marie Balestre pretty well decided a Championship in Prost's favour Vs Senna (at the track, not a courtroom).

It's the joy, theatre and drama of F1. I cannot wait for 2022 and Drive to Survive.

Justin

19 minutes ago, PaulCP said:

Flip it around Bibs, what would Horner be doing now if it had happened the other way round?

He'd probably get his missus to sing at them to change the result.

Still think the FIA wanted Max to win to keep the F1  investors happy. Masi to change his name to Maxi?.

• Like 2