Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Top Gear - New Series - Page 48 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Top Gear - New Series

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

@Andyww - actually, thinking about it, there IS a similarity. The chap with the Morgan rebuilt his Europa and was at a Goodwood track day in the early 90s, and was lapping extremely quickly. He left about an hour or so before the session finished, only to walk back through the gates 30 minutes later. One of his wheels had fallen off 1/2 a mile down the road.

He asked me not to remind him of this when I met him again in 2014.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...

See some pics today of Freddie F at the cricket, first time he's been seen out since the accident filming TG. Must have been quite bad.

I saw him from 10 feet away yesterday. I follow cricket closely and I didn't know who it was. Only once I saw BBC info after did I realise. He is thin too.

I suspect jaw and nose reconstructed.

Justin

• 4 weeks later...

Today's Times reports 

The BBC has decided to end Top Gear after deciding the motoring show could not continue following the near fatal crash involving Andrew Flintoff, one of the presenters, according to reports.

The former England cricket captain suffered facial injuries and broken ribs at the programme’s test track at Dunsfold Aerodrome in Surrey on December 13. He was driving a Morgan Super 3, a roofless, three-wheeled vehicle capable of reaching 130mph, when it flipped over and slid along the track. The vehicle had no air bags.

Filming for the show was halted and the broadcaster publicly apologised to Flintoff. Production staff have now been told to focus on other work, The Sun reported.

• Sad 1

Cheers,

John W

£9,000,000:00 loss of earnings for 2 years 😲 Surely HMRC will be clawing back at least £5,000,000:00 of that?

Mind you, FF will probably have to spend a lot of it on private maxillofacial surgery and tooth reconstruction.

Both he and the ghastly Hamster are lucky to be alive.

5 minutes ago, jonwat said:

Nine million 

Nice to know our licence fees are well spent making programs we all want to watch. 

If you read it you will see it is NOT licence funded as it is through the BBCs standalone Commercial Arm, which gets no licence fee funding.

I'm still not sure where 9m as a figure comes from and can be justified. It seems very excessive.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

7 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I'm still not sure where 9m as a figure comes from and can be justified. It seems very excessive.

If it were me in the same position I'd have been paid £15,000. That's 2 years loss of OAP earnings 😲

9 minutes ago, Rambo said:

If it were me in the same position I'd have been paid £15,000. That's 2 years loss of OAP earnings 😲

Not sure you're worth that! 😜😂

Yup, 9m for a not very good, imho, presenter. If that had been say a cameraman I doubt they would have got even 450k, 5%.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Flintoff a gent. He could have made a legal meal of this. He's been through hell which is on-going but he's let everyone else move on. 

A man of true character

Justin 

• Like 2

I would have thought the dangers of doing a show like Top Gear where well documented, and the risks accepted. 

It feels like a Racing Driver being paid because he crashed the car on circuit and got injured.

I don't know the details (hence why I have a PoV that may be incorrect) so maybe negligence was involved (if so, that's a different matter) but I can't believe he did not sign a waiver or disclaimer due to the nature of the show, and he knew exactly what he was getting himself into. So given that, why 9m?

Look at Tom Cruise. 60 years old and does his own stunts, broke his ankle etc on set. No payment or fuss, part of the hazard of the job, and just got on with filming again as soon as he could.

54 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

The £9m is to compensate for loss of earnings over 2 years, not just his TG salary. TG wasn’t his only gig. 

Most people are expected to have their own insurance to cover them for loss of earnings due to an accident, illness etc, for when the generous state sick pay benefit stops! Why should thjis situation be different?  Singers insure their voice boxes, actors their distinctive features etc...

The small print.

3 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

The £9m is to compensate for loss of earnings over 2 years, not just his TG salary. TG wasn’t his only gig. 

Obviously he can dine out on it just talking about it for the next two years 😄

Just been reading up on this. 22mph, Morgan three wheeler, no helmet (road legal without one but he was on a track), first corner.

Morgan has a halo device but apparently the car flipped on the first corner and his face scraped along the tarmac (ouch)

H&S investigated it and apparently said the BBC have no case to answer.

Most of the crew were made redundant, so will be struggling like hell financially.

Makes the £9m seem even stranger.

https://www.lep.co.uk/news/people/freddie-flintoff-real-speed-of-top-gear-crash-revealed-by-insider-4367489

Nice guy for sure. But as I said earlier, he knew what he was doing carried risks and was happy to take the financial rewards being offered, and obviously the spin-off work it would create.

I do wish him a speedy and full recovery.

The small print.

• 1 month later...

I'm pleased it's on hold, only reason I am slightly sad is for Chris Harris as he was the best thing about it.

It was starting to go stale even towards the end of the Clarkson era, and I think its just run its course.

Car fans need to head to you tube now for car entertainment, but there is lots of it and plenty of variety so I won't miss TG.

• Like 1