Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Emira Road Tests & Reviews - Page 19 - Emira Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Emira Road Tests & Reviews

Bibs

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, Bibs said:

@freefall_junkie, isn't that the site where a member called one of the Lotus PR team a w@nker?! Nice!

Well spotted.  And within a few hours Lotus PR had jumped in unprompted to explain themselves (and the member had been contacted by admins).  Apart from that, and despite repeated requests, there's been no direct Lotus contribution over there to fill the comms and info void Lotus decided to create.  Which is why there are 1100+ members, twice as many guests and 37,000 posts of mostly on topic and friendly discussion.

The moderators over there and on here do a great job to keep things civilised, often behind the scenes and without people realising.  Thanks to everyone on here who helps with that, I know it's often a thankless job.

Had to miss the TG programme yesterday but just found CH's brief track drive of the Emira on Youtube.  May be of interest to others.

No comments as very far from comprehensive and very brief, but key reason that I'm wholly unclear about that white car's relevance to the final Production version. Hmm...... well, not for me to comment about that either.

Certainly good to slide about on a wet track - not sure about how many apexes he hit though!  Semi-spins at the last corner, coming to a stop as the edit has left a side-on almost stationary view visible for just a moment - I think.

Edited by mdavies

I’ve just been reading elsewhere that the Sport suspension cars have Quaife diffs and the Touring spec cars have Torson diff, is this correct? If so can someone shed any light on the reason and setups?

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

• Gold FFM

Looking at the Emira specs on the Lotus website, the diff for the manual is described as a "Torsen type" that is common regardless of whether the suspension is sport or touring spec. I suspect the Torsen type diff is made by Quaife. This makes sense to me because the alternative limited slip diff is the clutch type, which needs more maintenance than a Torsen type, i.e. clutch pack replacement. Clutch type diffs tend to be used more for racing applications so I have found during my own research as I am thinking of putting a Quaife ATB diff in my Elise if I have to change the clutch.

A bit of background reading on Torsen versus clutch type diffs here.

https://www.kmpdrivetrain.com/differentials/torsen-vs-plated-limited-slip-differential/

• Like 1

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

image.png.9db97d94b90c8d44f75911ca24efff36.png

2 hours ago, Trevsked said:

I’ve just been reading elsewhere that the Sport suspension cars have Quaife diffs and the Touring spec cars have Torson diff, is this correct? If so can someone shed any light on the reason and setups?

Trevor.

If you'd have asked that approx 12 hours earlier Trev I would have paid more attention to what I was told today.......

Dave.

21 hours ago, mdavies said:

Had to miss the TG programme yesterday but just found CH's brief track drive of the Emira on Youtube.  May be of interest to others.

Video says private, so not sure if that's the full clip. The one I saw on YouTube was only a 2 minute preview of the full segment which you can watch on iPlayer.

59 minutes ago, Mickle said:

Video says private, so not sure if that's the full clip. The one I saw on YouTube was only a 2 minute preview of the full segment which you can watch on iPlayer.

Here is the iPlayer link:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0018kjp

The Lotus bit starts at 28:35. The rest is HGVs. 🥱

• Gold FFM

Or here for those that may not be in the UK (starts at 28:30) :

• Thanks 1

My Lotus History - 1998 Elise S1 (sold) - 1993 Esprit S4 (sold) - 2004 Elise S2 111S (sold) - 1995 M100 Elan S2 (sold) - 2014 Evora S IPS Sports Racer (sold) - 2023 Emira i4 First Edition V6 Auto (Touring Chassis, Hethel Yellow, Full Black Pack, Black Alcantara /Yellow Stitch interior and Steering Wheel, Yellow Calipers, Privacy Glass, Tracker)

1 hour ago, Mickle said:

Mickle, indeed that piece on Youtube was not the full thing. Now seen. Thanks to the posters of the other links. Very positive indeed with a meaningful extra road section and extra duration of track footage. Surely increases the importance of resolving any questions about whether it was close, or close enough, to the final production spec., perhaps most so re track use - wet and dry.  I'd like to hear a discussion between Chris Harris  and Jethro Bovingdon!

11 hours ago, DaveC72 said:

I may be slightly biased, but that was his least irritating video to date - and much to my chagrin I found myself enjoying it.  

Yep, from the people I know that have worked with Schmee (that all say his screen persona is quite different) this video seems to be more like the real Tim. Another great endorsement, I wonder what this will do for the order book?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimH said:

Or here for those that may not be in the UK (starts at 28:30) :

Thanks for posting that JimH 👍 I reckon Harris lost the Emira a couple of times but they clipped the video 🤔

I hadn't realised the Emira had 2 windscreen wipers. I think the Evora ooked so much classier with the single blade. Anyone else agree?

Edited by Rambo

Spoke to my neighbour this afternoon, he watched TG and thought the car seemed cheap for a car that performed like that. He has no views on any of the other Emira reviewers, as he has only seen TG - probably like most of the 'normal' people who have a 'normal' interest in cars.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
15 hours ago, DaveC72 said:

Might look better, but as a high mileage all year Evora driver, I'll take twin blades over a curved screen all day, every day.  Single wiper performance generally not as good.

The real selling point will be if they've improved the washer jets. Should be the first thing they show on reviews!

• Haha 2